This sounds interesting, for your PC

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

hoss wrote:
rsilvers wrote: There is a good free one but I forget what it is called.
Ubuntu.

www.ubuntu.com

Makes slow machines faster - make efficient use of old hardware.
Not susceptible to viri.
Has a darn good spam blocker.
And, it is free.

I have used it for over a year at home. I also have it on a couple of PCs at work.
Linux is susceptible for a virus, and as much as I hate MS here I do blame the home break-ins due to the fact that 95% of the houses on the block have the same lock.

I do loves me some Ubuntu however!
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

You cannot blame home break-ins to a lock. Even if someone comes and tries your lock to see if they can break in, you have already been violated.
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

GlockandRoll wrote:
hoss wrote:
rsilvers wrote: There is a good free one but I forget what it is called.
Ubuntu.

www.ubuntu.com

Makes slow machines faster - make efficient use of old hardware.
Not susceptible to viri.
Has a darn good spam blocker.
And, it is free.

I have used it for over a year at home. I also have it on a couple of PCs at work.
Linux is susceptible for a virus, and as much as I hate MS here I do blame the home break-ins due to the fact that 95% of the houses on the block have the same lock.

I do loves me some Ubuntu however!
95% of the break ins occur cause of the same lock???????????????? Prove it, this is a BS call on your post
Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
Smithers: You are noble and poetic in defeat, sir.
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

3101 wrote: 95% of the break ins occur cause of the same lock???????????????? Prove it, this is a BS call on your post
I'm not saying 'literally' that home break ins occur only with people that have the same kind of locks, I was implying that Linux isn't impenetrable, and that becuase it is Windows that most people use, that is what gets hacked. If Linux was the mainstream, MS would be secure because so few people would use it.

It was a figurative analogy.

Surely you can find someone going 33 in a 25 to harass this morning other than me???
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

that wasn't a figurative analogy, it was just crap...some more "make it up as you go".....
Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

3101 wrote:that wasn't a figurative analogy, it was just crap...some more "make it up as you go".....
Yes, it was, just not clear to you.

"...as much as I hate MS (MicroSoft, object of the sentence - I think?) here I blame the home (computer, the analogy) break-ins (hacks) due to the fact that 95% of the houses on the block have the same lock. (Houses on the block being analogous to cubes in an office).

What are you talking about my making it up as I go?
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

rsilvers wrote:You cannot blame home break-ins to a lock. Even if someone comes and tries your lock to see if they can break in, you have already been violated.
RS didn't read it that way, and neither did I.....and I doubt anyone else did.......
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

Maybe not, but he also thinks literally allot more than many people do if I had to guess.

Maybe it wasn't worded the best, either way I'm still surprised you haven't found someone else to harass yet. Surely someone is passing through who's license plate is missing a screw?
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

you seem to have trouble staying on topic....
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

3101 wrote:you seem to have trouble staying on topic....
Now see... that's just plain silly.
Here I am, a systems engineer with 15 years experience in IT, commenting on PC security... and here YOU are, someone who doesnt know much about the subject at hand.

A guy that hijacks the thread because you didn't get an analogy, be it good or bad from your perspective.

From where I see it YOU are the one who is out of your element and YOU are the one that took the conversation off topic... but I get this?

I could have easily pointed out to RS that my analogy may have not been worded as good as it could have been, however I get attacked about "making it up as I go?"

Further more, I asked what you meant by saying that... and you didn't answer, yet I get this?

Is it any wonder why we have such a hard time communicating?
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

No, you made a statement about residential burglaries you couldn't back up, and made a lame attempt at making it about IT.....I don't buy it....maybe someone else does.....
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

3101 wrote:No, you made a statement about residential burglaries you couldn't back up, and made a lame attempt at making it about IT.....I don't buy it....maybe someone else does.....
You would only prove how dense you are to make that argument, especially after my explanation.

And to accuse me of taking the thread off topic makes you a hypocrite to boot.
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

Sir, that is the least of what I think you are..
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

3101 wrote:Sir, that is the least of what I think you are....
Well, let's hear it; really... I'm curious?
The funny thing is that here I am, trying to offer computer help and I'm getting this... that doesn't even make sense!!!
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

No sir, I will keep that to myself....
Last edited by 3101 on Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

But it's ok to accuse me of having trouble keeping to a topic after you take it off topic?

What about the "make it up as I go" part?
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

that goes to your 95% of residential break in's quote...and yes, you just made that up.....
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

GlockandRoll wrote:Linux is susceptible for a virus, and as much as I hate MS here I do blame the home break-ins due to the fact that 95% of the houses on the block have the same lock.
It was an analogy - he just didn't say that it was an analogy. Once you've figured out how to break in to one MicroSoft Windows computer, you've figured out how to break in to all of the computers that use the same setup.

Its as if there was just one PIN for all ATM cards and you somehow got the PIN.

As far as the statistic "95%" - it was a made-up number. However, it doesn't matter what the number is/was/should-be, because the thrust of the argument had little to do with the actual number. The point was that each of the homes/computers share a common vulnerability. Does it honestly matter if it should have been 83.65%?
I read that it's douche to list your guns here, so I stopped that.
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

TROOPER wrote:
GlockandRoll wrote:Linux is susceptible for a virus, and as much as I hate MS here I do blame the home break-ins due to the fact that 95% of the houses on the block have the same lock.
It was an analogy - he just didn't say that it was an analogy. Once you've figured out how to break in to one MicroSoft Windows computer, you've figured out how to break in to all of the computers that use the same setup.

Its as if there was just one PIN for all ATM cards and you somehow got the PIN.

As far as the statistic "95%" - it was a made-up number. However, it doesn't matter what the number is/was/should-be, because the thrust of the argument had little to do with the actual number. The point was that each of the homes/computers share a common vulnerability. Does it honestly matter if it should have been 83.65%?
I think trooper is going to be my official spokesperson.
:wink:
pdemos
Elite Member

Post by pdemos »

I took it as a analogy, I think he was just talking about computers.
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

I think 93 point whatever % can be rounded up to 95%, that's close enough, and if you say he is right, I stand corrected......
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

3101 wrote:I think 93 point whatever % can be rounded up to 95%, that's close enough, and if you say he is right, I stand corrected......
That shows character.
Remind me to apologize when I am incorrect bout something.
hoss
Silent But Deadly

Post by hoss »

3101 wrote:that goes to your 95% of residential break in's quote...and yes, you just made that up.....
It is an analogy. I knew exactly what he was referring to.

If all residential locks were the same -- just like MS Windows. And, if all locks were designed to be unlocked where the user had to manually enforce the lock -- just like Windows. Then it makes life for a burglar very easy -- just like MS Windows make life for a hacker, virus developer, easy.

I can look at my server logs at work and see the VAST MAJORITY of internet requests are aimed at a Windows operating system. This isn't to say someone cannot get into my Linux system. But, any would be hacker can send commands or requests to a Windows system and sooner or later they can break in. Especially if the user does not take active steps (i.e. locking the lock) to keep people out.

Where as, Linux systems are by default closed (locked) and the user has to open up access ports into the system.
Hoss
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

I got it, I just didn't believe it from him.......he was right......I was wrong.....
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

hoss wrote: It is an analogy. I knew exactly what he was referring to.

If all residential locks were the same -- just like MS Windows. And, if all locks were designed to be unlocked where the user had to manually enforce the lock -- just like Windows. Then it makes life for a burglar very easy -- just like MS Windows make life for a hacker, virus developer, easy.

I can look at my server logs at work and see the VAST MAJORITY of internet requests are aimed at a Windows operating system. This isn't to say someone cannot get into my Linux system. But, any would be hacker can send commands or requests to a Windows system and sooner or later they can break in. Especially if the user does not take active steps (i.e. locking the lock) to keep people out.

Where as, Linux systems are by default closed (locked) and the user has to open up access ports into the system.

I still remember the day I got my 1st gig as a sys-admin for a small company... the 1st request that I made to the CEO was a Cisco Pix 515e w/intrusion detection.

After emailing him weekly reports of intrusion attempts, he quit bitching about it.

Linux isn't impenetrable, and someone who is sharp enough may find a way to log your network traffic with a packet sniffer like wire shark and find a vulnerability to exploit.

I've deployed and managed perfectly safe windows environments... and I have challenged some white-hats that I know to come see what they can find. So far they haven't been successful.

I'm really happy about VMware ESX now, and eagerly awaiting the Cisco virtual switches they are developing.

One of my favorite things to do now is set up a honey pot on the outside, and then pass everything through my smooth wall in really small deployments.