Hurricane headed our way and now the unprepared are in panic

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

Filled up both cars at midnight... why take a chance, right?

I've heard of some stations in Austin already running out.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

2 weeks notice, and some people still can't get it done:

GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

I'd be interested in staying behind just to shoot looters... :twisted:
evo45
Elite Member

Post by evo45 »

Kinda off topic but if you get 93 it will stay good longer. The 87 varnishes way faster. I also dont use stabil any more, I have been using seafoam. It does the same thing as stabil but my friend that runs a lawnmower shop says it is better on your fuel system.
evo45
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I saw people are staying saying they have 'faith' and it is 'fate.'

Dudes.. God does not save people. People die in earthquakes all the time.
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

power's been out for about 24 hrs so far. Large areas are in the same situation. Some without water.
"You'll put yer eye out with that thing"

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

power's been out for about 24 hrs so far. Large areas are in the same situation. Some without water.

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp
Bone16
Elite Member

Post by Bone16 »

You up on generator, or do you have power. I take it Friendswood and Bay City got it the worst?

How's downtown? Flooded like after Rita?
America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the mall.

Bone 16, Asshat at large, OUT!
bmanka
Silent But Deadly

Post by bmanka »

Lost power at 4am. Several trees down, but only minor damage. About to shut the generator off for the night to conserve gas. Had to clear 4 roads with chainsaw to get to my mother's house 10 miles away. Several power lines down on roads.

There's nothing like a massive power outage. You can barely recognize your own neighborhood.
Patriot In Training
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

Just got a text from a bud near the galeria... bunch of strippers are in the pool at his appartment to stay cool.

It's a full moon, but you can still see T&A... he said it's a fucking PAR TAEH!!!
Russian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Russian »

xx
Last edited by Russian on Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
holliday58

Post by holliday58 »

hopefully if i have to head out to do some rescue stuff I will get to see that pool!!
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member8354.png[/img][/url]
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

Just got another call from him, he said power is on in select areas of NW near the beltway, including the Starbucks he called me from.

He sounded exhausted.
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

I don't have a generator, just using my phone. There are some gas stations open and they're restoring power in some areas, they say it may be weeks before it's restored. Only 2 people I know have power most live south of I-10. There are definitely some things I'll be doing differently next time.

GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

So you are using your phone to post? Cool...

I'm looking into a diesel generator for here, becuase ice storms hit Austin and render us powerless for 3 days at a time ever year or two.
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

When I can get the map to load, I'll save a copy and repost it to show the power outages in Houston.
A few grocery stores opened yesterday, they were a packed but no crazy. One gas station that I know of being open was swamped by shady people(it's in a not so nice neighborhood)
For the most part people have been really polite. I don't know how long it will last since power is supposedly not going to be restored for another 2-3 weeks.

apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

Fortunately campus and the medical center have power and, the weather has been fairly mild.
ETA: I'm on campus to try and get work done/charge various electronics.
The map:
White represents their "territory" not necessarily areas that have people using their power. lots of the outer white area is very sparsely populated.

full pdf:
http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~bbgrandy/im ... outage.pdf

GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

Good info... thanks.

It makes me wonder, actually, how many people on or near the gulf will be getting satellite phones now.

I would... damned Skippy I would.
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

GlockandRoll wrote:Good info... thanks.

It makes me wonder, actually, how many people on or near the gulf will be getting satellite phones now.

I would... damned Skippy I would.
cell coverage has been on and off, i've been able to make calls, sometimes it takes a few tries to go through but they do eventually. text messages go through easily.
I really am wanting a small generator, 2kW or so just to power electronics to survive. 3kW might actually be perfect.
I've been looking at them online, but they're all out of stock locally so it won't do any good.
Today they only restored power to an additional 4%, which gives me little hope on power being restored soon.

GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

I feel for ya bro...
pokey
Silent But Deadly

Post by pokey »

If you are really prepared to have stayed, I say go for it. I do get damn irritated by the people who are on the news the very next day crying for "someone to just please help us".

We did help you. It's called the weather channel and they told you to take your ass out of town a week ago.
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

I am alive and so is my house. My house was the only one in the neighborhood not to have any damage from the hurricane (tree or home). seems to help to have 30 year shingles and only one major tree (the others were removed for the pool).

No power still (I'm at work), no cell service, no Internet. I have modified my plan for the next one, I'm going to have a big friggin gen that runs on natural gas installed that will run the complete house.

Really makes you see how accustomed we have become to technology and if there is ever TEOTWAWKI then we are screwed big time. Every morning the people line up at ever gas station with power and wait for the fuel truck to show to fill the station. Since I have no gen and I have a full tank of gas I just look and shake my head. People bitching that the government is not giving them enough s--t to survive on need to be dropped in the middle of the woods for a few weeks to fend for themselves.

We are very lucky this time in the weather is no texas like at all, temps in the high 50s or low 60s at night make it easy to sleep even with the neighbors running those small assed gens. Hopefully I'll have power soon since they did get the nearest major road to me fixed up with power again.
Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://weaponblueprints.com/
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

Mongo wrote:I am alive and so is my house. My house was the only one in the neighborhood not to have any damage from the hurricane (tree or home). seems to help to have 30 year shingles and only one major tree (the others were removed for the pool).

No power still (I'm at work), no cell service, no Internet. I have modified my plan for the next one, I'm going to have a big friggin gen that runs on natural gas installed that will run the complete house.

Really makes you see how accustomed we have become to technology and if there is ever TEOTWAWKI then we are screwed big time. Every morning the people line up at ever gas station with power and wait for the fuel truck to show to fill the station. Since I have no gen and I have a full tank of gas I just look and shake my head. People bitching that the government is not giving them enough s--t to survive on need to be dropped in the middle of the woods for a few weeks to fend for themselves.

We are very lucky this time in the weather is no texas like at all, temps in the high 50s or low 60s at night make it easy to sleep even with the neighbors running those small assed gens. Hopefully I'll have power soon since they did get the nearest major road to me fixed up with power again.
Yeah, my best friend was in Katrina and he had no power for 2 weeks and it was 100 degrees at night inside his house with 100% humidity.
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

Got power back yesterday, no internet. I am going to buy a generator fairly soon, hopefully there will be a really cheap used market soon.
Downside is I hear stories about people in Apts having to run off people trying to steal em. One guy just sat around his Apt with his Romak ready to go cause it happened so often.
There were less stories of looting than I expected.

wolf
Silent But Deadly

Post by wolf »

You know ,,a generator produces electricity :twisted: just connect it to the frame of the generator ,that might help from people running away with it :evil: