Pope watched over by flying robots during Lourdes visit

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/09/17 ... guardians/

Posted in Science, 17th September 2008 11:13 GMT

All good Catholics are well aware that the Pope walks this sinful Earth safe in the knowledge that he has robust heavenly backup. More literal-minded believers might contend that such support, in the event of any worldly dispute turning ugly, could easily include unsleeping winged guardians that do not age or die as mortals do.

This has now been confirmed to be absolutely true on occasion, with the news that the Holy Father was watched over by an unmanned air vehicle (UAV) - a winged flying robot - during a recent visit to Lourdes.
The Holy Father's winged, all-seeing guardian

Pope Benedict XVI reportedly told the assembled faithful at the shrine that people must accept death "at the hour chosen by God".

It was clear, however, that the temporal overlords of France would not be above jogging His elbow a little in the event of any disrespect being offered to Christ's Earthly vicar on their watch.

Aviation Week reports that Eagle-1 SIDM autonomous surveillance platforms orbited on high above Lourdes, providing what is often profanely referred to in military circles as the "god's eye view" of the surrounding terrain - and the ability to call down terrifying hammerblows of destruction from the skies using laser target-designation systems. Batteries of Crotale air-defence missiles were also on standby in the event of any impious intrusion being mounted into the Supreme Pontiff's heavenly exclusion zone.

Military theology buffs no doubt found material for knotty debate in the fact that the Eagle-1 genuinely comes from the Holy Land, being manufactured by Israel Aircraft Industries. However, the modern French military is avowedly secular rather than seeing itself - as its more prominent members have in the past - as the literal Sword of God.

In the event the papal visit passed off without incident, and the temporal angels of death weren't called upon to do more than watch. ®
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

If he's so religoius, why fear death?
NFAtalk.org
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

they don't do that cause the Pope "fears death"....they don't want someone whacking him on THEIR watch, while THEY are in charge of his safety....
Dignitary protection is all about making sure your principle doesn't take a round while you are on duty.....
Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
Smithers: You are noble and poetic in defeat, sir.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

3101 wrote:they don't do that cause the Pope "fears death"....they don't want someone whacking him on THEIR watch, while THEY are in charge of his safety....
Dignitary protection is all about making sure your principle doesn't take a round while you are on duty.....
He drives in a "popemobile".

Bullet proof.

He ciould easily do like JFK and put his religoin where his mouth is.
NFAtalk.org
Cortland
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Cortland »

Insofar as suicide is contrary to Catholic belief, would it not therefore follow that one has an obligation to take reasonable and prudent steps to prevent one's own death?
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

Cortland wrote:Insofar as suicide is contrary to Catholic belief, would it not therefore follow that one has an obligation to take reasonable and prudent steps to prevent one's own death?
So all Catholics need a bullet proof car now?

Again,

I'm not a religous person, but i can't understand the fear of death by the pope.

you don't see him bishops and s--t doing that crap.

It's hardly suicde to not have a bulletproof pope mobile.
NFAtalk.org
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Pope Benedict XVI reportedly told the assembled faithful at the shrine that people must accept death "at the hour chosen by God".
I'm sure he is including himself in that statement. :wink:
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
MisterWilson
Silent But Deadly

Post by MisterWilson »

ArevaloSOCOM wrote:If he's so religoius, why fear death?
No kidding, what happened to a show of faith?
Stu
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stu »

You silly billy's this has nothing to do with a show of faith.

I'm a parent, even if I was not at all afraid of death, I would still do EVERYTHING possible to avoid it; all because my family (wifey and daughter) need me.

The Pope believes that the entirety of Catholicism needs him the way that my family needs each other. I think he's got a pretty good reason to want to live, without saying that he is lacking in a show of faith.

I don't see how some airplanes with guns could prevent the Pope from being offed by a sniper though.
Smalldog
Silent But Deadly

Post by Smalldog »

The pope serves himself, his will and his own lusts, not God's.

If he practiced what he preached, every bit of gold and those cute slippers etc., would be sold off to feed the poor/ spread the message of God.

It's funny with all that gold how the great mother church cannot even afford to pay off their molested members, when ordered to by a court.

He's an elected official, nothing more, definately less.

Probably a fag too. :roll: