Powell endorses Obama as 'transformational'

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

cqbdoc10
Silent But Deadly

Powell endorses Obama as 'transformational'

Post by cqbdoc10 »

WTF?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/200810 ... tico/14714

[quote]

Retired General Colin L. Powell, one of the country's most respected Republicans, stunned both parties on Sunday by strongly endorsing Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) for president on NBC's "Meet the Press" and laying out a blistering, detailed critique of the modern GOP.

Powell said the election of Obama would "electrify the world."

"I think he is a transformational figure," Powell said. "He is a new generation coming ... onto the world stage and on the American stage. And for that reason, I'll be voting for Senator Barack Obama."

Powell, once considered likely to be the nation's first African-American presidential nominee, said his decision was not about race.

Moderator Tom Brokaw said: "There will be some ... who will say this is an African-American, distinguished American supporting another African-American because of race."

Powell, who last year gave the Arizona senator's campaign the maximum $2,300, replied: "If I had only had that in mind, I could have done this six, eight, 10 months ago. I really have been going back and forth between somebody I have the highest respect and regard for, John McCain and somebody I was getting to know, Barack Obama. And it was only in the last couple of months that I settled on this."

"I can't deny that it will be a historic event when an African-American becomes president," Powell continued, speaking live in the studio. "And should that happen, all Americans should be proud — not just African-American, but all Americans — that we have reached this point in our national history where such a thing could happen. It would also not only electrify the country, but electrify the world."

Powell, making his 30th appearance on "Meet the Press," led into his endorsement by saying: "We've got two individuals — either one of them could be a good president. But which is the president that we need now — which is the individual that serves the needs of the nation for the next period of time.

"And I come to the conclusion that because of his ability to inspire, because of the inclusive nature of his campaign, because he is reaching out all across America, because of who he is and his rhetorical abilities — and you have to take that into account — as well as his substance — he has both style and substance, he has met the standard of being a successful president, being an exceptional president."

Powell said that he is "troubled" by the direction of the Republican Party, and said he began to doubt Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) when he chose Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate.

"Not just small towns have values," he said, responding to one of Palin's signature lines.

"She's a very distinguished woman, and she's to be admired," he said. "But at the same, now that we have had a chance to watch her for some seven weeks, I don't believe she's ready to be president of the United States, which is the job of the vice president. And so that raised some question in my mind as to the judgment that Senator McCain made."

The endorsement is likely to help Obama convince skeptical centrists that he is ready to handle the challenges of commander in chief, and undercuts McCain argument that he is better qualified on national-security issues.

McCain, appearing on "Fox News Sunday," sought to minimize the endorsement by noting his support from other former secretaries of state and retired military flag officers.

"It doesn’t come as a surprise," McCain said. "I'm very pleased to have the endorsement of four former secretaries of state, well over 200 retired generals and admirals. I've admired and continue to respect Secretary Powell."

Powell, 71, criticized McCain and his campaign for invoking the former domestic terrorist William Ayers.

"They're trying to connect him to some kind of terrorist feelings, and I think that's inappropriate," Powell said. "Now I understand what politics is all about — I know how you can go after one another. And that's good. But I think this goes too far. And I think it has made the McCain campaign look a little narrow. It's not what the American people are looking for. And I look at these kinds of approaches to the campaign, and they trouble me.

"And the party has moved even further to the right, and Governor Palin has indicated a further rightward shift. I would have difficult with two more conservative appointments to the Supreme Court, but that's what we'd be looking at in a McCain administration."

Powell said he has "heard senior members of my own party drop the suggestion [that Obama's] a Muslim and might be associated with terrorists."

"This is not the way we should be doing it in America. I feel strongly about this particular point," Powell said. "We have got to stop polarizing ourselves in this way. And John McCain is as non-discriminatory as anyone I know. But I'm troubled about the fact that within the party, we have these kinds of expressions."

Powell, a four-star Army general, was national security adviser to President Ronald Reagan; chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the 1991 Persian Gulf war, when George H.W. Bush was president; and President George W. Bush’s first secretary of State,

Powell has consulted with both Obama and McCain, and the general’s camp had indicated in the past that he would not endorse.

Powell said that as he watched McCain, the Republican “was a little unsure as to how to deal with the economic problems that we were having, and almost every day, there was a different approach to the problem, and that concerned me, sensing that he didn't have a complete grasp of the economic problems that we had."

Powell said a big job of the new president will be “conveying a new image of American leadership, a new image of America’s role in the world.â€
1) People often ask the U.S. what our secret defense is against terorists. We simply reply....Chuck Norris.

2) Jack Bauer does not let women on top during sex. Why? Jack Bauer never fucks up....
f.2
Silent But Deadly

Post by f.2 »

didn't you see this coming? he couldn't wait to support bo
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Well at least he stopped short of calling him the new Messiah. :roll:
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
slug0

Post by slug0 »

White republican= racist,black republican = Uncle Tom. Nobody wants to be Uncle Tom.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

RINO.

I lost interest in Powell a few years ago. I don't think this is too damaging as most have figured out he was really a Democrat.
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

rsilvers wrote:RINO.

I lost interest in Powell a few years ago. I don't think this is too damaging as most have figured out he was really a Democrat.

Y know, I saw the guy in '95 at Ft Benning. He was filming a 20/20 interview and Barbara WaWa was floating around us with obvious disdain.

He does have a command presence that is for sure.

But I am very saddened that he turned like a bitch for his bro.

I guess the things I heard were true after all.
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
elvjeep
Silent But Deadly

Post by elvjeep »

Someone said bush is going to vote for Obama :roll: :roll: :roll:
cyclesarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by cyclesarge »

Maybe Powell is so far LEFT that he just now received the memo from the GOP stating McCain is not meant to win. I mean how can someone with McCain's credentials NOT be tearing to pieces (much less losing) to the likes of Obama, unless he is just not trying.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

cyclesarge wrote:Maybe Powell is so far LEFT that he just now received the memo from the GOP stating McCain is not meant to win. I mean how can someone with McCain's credentials NOT be tearing to pieces (much less losing) to the likes of Obama, unless he is just not trying.
McCain's credentials ? McCain is as much a Republican as Joe Lieberman is a Democrat. He only became the nominee because independents and democrats voted for him in the primaries. Its hard for conservatives in the Republican party to get excited about him because he has acted like a Democrat ever since he has been in Congress. I don't know of too many Republicans who are EXCITED about a McCain presidency like Democrats are EXCITED about a Obama presidency. To most he's better than the alternative but I don't think thats going to be enough to carry him into the white house.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
cyclesarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by cyclesarge »

YugoRPK wrote:
McCain's credentials ? McCain is as much a Republican as Joe Lieberman is a Democrat. He only became the nominee because independents and democrats voted for him in the primaries. Its hard for conservatives in the Republican party to get excited about him because he has acted like a Democrat ever since he has been in Congress. I don't know of too many Republicans who are EXCITED about a McCain presidency like Democrats are EXCITED about a Obama presidency. To most he's better than the alternative but I don't think thats going to be enough to carry him into the white house.

Maybe all the Dems voting in the Rep. primaries, and the Reps voting in the Dem. primaries is how Obama became the Democratic candidate. I know people that switched sides to put up a "straw man" for the opposing party, and then they are suprised when their chosen candidate didn't win the primary.
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

It's a black thang...
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

cyclesarge wrote:Maybe Powell is so far LEFT that he just now received the memo from the GOP stating McCain is not meant to win. I mean how can someone with McCain's credentials NOT be tearing to pieces (much less losing) to the likes of Obama, unless he is just not trying.
The fix is in. He hasn't tried since day one, he's just there to make it look good.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
tank
Silent But Deadly

Post by tank »

GlockandRoll wrote:It's a black thang...

Bingo. I can't imagine the pressure Powell must have felt. On the one hand, he turns his back on his party, on the other, he turns it on his race (at least, that would be the perception by many). I am not at all surprised by how he decided.

I think this quote by McCain brings it all into perspective:

"I'm also very pleased to have the endorsement of four former secretaries of state -- Secretaries [Henry] Kissinger, [James] Baker, [Lawrence] Eagleburger, and [Alexander] Haig -- and I'm proud to have the endorsement of well over 200 retired Army generals and admirals," McCain said.

The problem is that the media probably won't say a thing about his endorsements by FOUR previous secretaries of state (and at least three on the list I would consider more capable than Powell), and it is no big deal to the media that he has 199 more retired flag officers' endorsements than Obama.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Maybe he just believes in what Obama says.
tuckerrnr1
Silent But Deadly

Post by tuckerrnr1 »

rsilvers wrote:Maybe he just believes in what Obama says.

Ahhh, haaa, haa ahha, ow I hurt myself.

Race card.
[img]http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m264/19283938/kookaid.gif[/img]
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

tuckerrnr1 wrote:
rsilvers wrote:Maybe he just believes in what Obama says.

Ahhh, haaa, haa ahha, ow I hurt myself.

Race card.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Obama don't even believe what he "reads" I mean says :lol: :lol:

(insert puke smiley here)
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

I watched what those elitist cocksuckers were saying about plumber Joe.

They are so damn confident that they have the balls to loudly denounce a regular working guy who does not want handouts,unlike the obama supporters, and simply wants to own his own business.

What a bunch of nimwits the American people are when they ignore the arrogance and outright stupidity of obama and biden

We deserve what we get if WE allow those guys in the white house. With the rest of the crew already in place we are plainly fucked.

end of sermon
Sun Tzu
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

RINO if McCain was not running he would vote for Obama also, he will be Chief RINO in charge.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
jonharoy
Elite Member

Post by jonharoy »

Sigproshooter wrote:I watched what those elitist cocksuckers were saying about plumber Joe.

They are so damn confident that they have the balls to loudly denounce a regular working guy who does not want handouts,unlike the obama supporters, and simply wants to own his own business.

What a bunch of nimwits the American people are when they ignore the arrogance and outright stupidity of obama and biden

We deserve what we get if WE allow those guys in the white house. With the rest of the crew already in place we are plainly fucked.

end of sermon
Amen :!:
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

Sigproshooter wrote: We deserve what we get if WE allow those guys in the white house. With the rest of the crew already in place we are plainly fucked.

end of sermon
The problem is not an obama presidency or democratic congress. the problem is both (at the same time).
Our government is built on checks and balances. you need a balance for effective government that doesn;t get out of control.
Likewise, look at that happened after the AWB basically THREW the entire left out of office. No balance and now we're in turmoil.

If we can get a decently mixed congress, an obama presidency will be a typical presidency. I won't be too concerned.
IMO, the balance of power in the congress is probably more important the party in the oval office.
Look at the current (VERY democratic) congressional approval rating. It's pitiful. I hope Pelosi gets hit by a Mac truck.

What I don't get is the approval rating is horrible and congress is mostly liberal and why people love obama/biden.
Makes perfect sense to elect two of the most liberal people in the congress. :roll:
Poacher
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Poacher »

I wonder who Obama would pick for sec of Defense..... :o
"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."-- Vince Lombardi

Director of Training & Special Initiatives
Nighthawk Custom
[email protected]
877-268-4867
tuckerrnr1
Silent But Deadly

Post by tuckerrnr1 »

This guy.

Mr. Greg
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mr. Greg »

tuckerrnr1 wrote:This guy.

You better have meant the character and not the actor. I like Myers. :x
tuckerrnr1
Silent But Deadly

Post by tuckerrnr1 »

Yes the character, after all, he likes the song I'd like to teach the world to sing. I say, fine then, have a coke and a smile and sit the F--k down.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

Powell is proof AA doesn't work. He is a miserable failure, yet keeps getting promoted to higher levels of incompetence.