Police shoot woman suspected of wounding man with arrow

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

hoss
Silent But Deadly

Police shoot woman suspected of wounding man with arrow

Post by hoss »

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/hea ... 19604.html
A woman accused of shooting a man with a bow and arrow at her father's workplace before being shot by two civilians and a Houston police officer has been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon.

Julie Parker, 33, was listed in fair condition at Ben Taub General Hospital today with several gunshot wounds suffered in the Monday afternoon incident.

Police and witnesses said that Parker shot Armando Silva in the chest with a hunting bow and arrow after she entered the offices of Texas Components Corp. in northwest Houston.

Silva, 49, was reported in good condition at Ben Taub today.

Police are still trying to determine the motive for the incident. Officers said the violence erupted after Parker came into the office in the 1600 block of West Sam Houston Parkway with a hunting bow and arrows and what appeared to be a handgun about 3 p.m. Monday.

Her father works there and was in the building at the time, police said, but it was not clear whether she was looking for him.

After walking into the company's micro-electronics division, Parker shot Silva with an arrow and then pointed the apparent gun at two other employees, police said.

Those employees, who are licensed to carry concealed handguns, fired "numerous" shots at Parker, hitting her several times, investigators said.

Parker dropped her pistol, which later was found not to be a real gun, and retreated to an office with the bow and arrow, officers said. Workers at nearby businesses took cover and called police.

Police arrived about 3:15 p.m. and were told the woman was hiding in one of the rooms inside the office building. As the officers tried to rescue Silva, Sgt. M.S. O'Neil saw Parker pointing her bow and an arrow at him and drawing back the string, police said.

O'Neil, a 23-year HPD veteran, ordered her several times to drop the bow, police said. He fired several shots as she continued to point it at him, they said.

Sgt. John Chomiak said the woman was not employed by the company. Police interviewed her father, whose name was not disclosed, late Monday. The owner of the company declined to comment.

As is customary when officers are involved in shootings, the incident is being investigated by the HPD homicide and internal affairs divisions and by the Harris County District Attorney's Office, police said.

Employees of other businesses in the strip center appeared stunned as officers investigated Monday evening.

Michael Barrera, who works at an optical company in the strip center, said employees had opened the door to enjoy the cool breeze.

“Next thing you know, we hear five or six gunshots,â€
Hoss
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

viewtopic.php?t=33886

Only three topics below yours.
Stu
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stu »

That article seems pretty misleading in places.
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

One thing it certainly brings to light, is the "lethality" of hand guns. She was shot by 3 different individuals (Or maybe two and they consider him shooting "over" her shooting her?)

It's also the media, don't give them any real crediblity.

I take the media's word at the level of "I heard from somebody, who eaves dropped on part of an discussion that was partially muffled through a bathroom vent." accuracy.

Basically they get the location, sometimes individuals and a ball park of what really happened.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

I read the account that Arevelo furnished, it was interesting, most shtf situations like that happen quickly and who knows how they will end.
Doesn't say much for .380's either.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
MicroGuy
Silent But Deadly

Post by MicroGuy »

No matter what, the stories certainly don't match up.

And I certainly don't trust the media any longer.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

MicroGuy wrote:No matter what, the stories certainly don't match up.

Nor should you, I was reading an article the other day about how the govt. is bailing out the newspapers in the northeast, makes me wonder if that will help slant the news in the govt's favor. :roll:
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

Hush wrote:I read the account that Arevelo furnished, it was interesting, most shtf situations like that happen quickly and who knows how they will end.
Only one hit from the .380 in the chest according to the arfcom thread. The other hit was in the leg.
"You'll put yer eye out with that thing"

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp
MicroGuy
Silent But Deadly

Post by MicroGuy »

Hush wrote:
MicroGuy wrote:No matter what, the stories certainly don't match up.

Nor should you, I was reading an article the other day about how the govt. is bailing out the newspapers in the northeast, makes me wonder if that will help slant the news in the govt's favor. :roll:

Oh I don't, this just confirms it even more.

But there's one more thing I don't think anybody noticed.

The woman was SUSPECTED of having a bow, and was ACCUSED of ALLEGEDLY shooting somebody with it.

The people with the guns, just shot her repeatedly.

No accusations, no suspecting them of doing anything, nothing, it's a fact, they did it.

Interesting twist on it.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville
Doink67
Silent But Deadly

Post by Doink67 »

We should regulate Bows more strictly! any bow that has the capacity to have a arrow rest or attach a quiver should be outlawed!
MicroGuy
Silent But Deadly

Post by MicroGuy »

Doink67 wrote:We should regulate Bows more strictly! any bow that has the capacity to have a arrow rest or attach a quiver should be outlawed!
And who would EVER need those scary looking razor tipped arrows too!! Ban those too!! Just a pointy stick is all anybody needs!!

If this happened near me, I'd write a letter to the editor about that stuff, the same s--t they say about guns, but about bows and arrows, and I bet they would print it, taking it seriously.
MicroGuy
Silent But Deadly

Post by MicroGuy »

And the sting silencers too!!

Damn, they should have to pay a $200 tax and fill out a bunch of forms to have one of those!! The only time anybody would want a string silencer is if they're going to assassinate somebody!!
Doink67
Silent But Deadly

Post by Doink67 »

and those spring loaded arrows, the ones that start as a two blade broad head, and become a 4 blade, those should be Dangerous Devices
Cortland
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Cortland »

A few years ago in Virginia Beach we had a gentleman who accidentally shot his wife with a crossbow. She was hit with a field point, survived, and I believe there was insufficient evidence to charge him with a crime. About four months later he accidentally shot her again. This time the bolt had a hunting point on it. She died. He was convicted of murder.

So you gotta watch out for those bow accidents.
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

Cortland wrote:A few years ago in Virginia Beach we had a gentleman who accidentally shot his wife with a crossbow. She was hit with a field point, survived, and I believe there was insufficient evidence to charge him with a crime. About four months later he accidentally shot her again. This time the bolt had a hunting point on it. She died. He was convicted of murder.

So you gotta watch out for those bow accidents.
I hate to state the obvious, but I think he learned that field points don't kill that well, despite what the label says.
Cortland
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Cortland »

Yeah, totally. It was definitely murder. I know a VB Sheriff's Deputy who was bailiff for at least part of the trial. The guy was way guilty. Although you do almost admire a guy who has the stones to claim it was an accident even after the second time.
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

Cortland wrote:Yeah, totally. It was definitely murder. I know a VB Sheriff's Deputy who was bailiff for at least part of the trial. The guy was way guilty. Although you do almost admire a guy who has the stones to claim it was an accident even after the second time.
You'd think he would've been more creative. Maybe it's all he had. I think I'd get a divorce after being shot with a cross bow once.

Especially the way you outlined they couldn't find enough evidence to charge as a crime, means they suspected it was with criminal intent. I mean if I was a Police Officer, I'd tell her "You need to get out of this relationship."

But, you never know, some women fall in love with abusive guys. Ironically, often times they're usually decent looking.
Cortland
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Cortland »

BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

Why wasn't he put to death? I mean honestly, it's a blatant murder. What does that man have left to contribute to society?

Is it without parole?
MicroGuy
Silent But Deadly

Post by MicroGuy »

Yeah, those multiple accidents will get ya ever time.

You'd think the dumbass would at least change the MO at least a little.

That guy must be a TOTAL idiot to keep using the same weapon. Sounds like he had a "thing" for killing her with the cross bow, she was gonna die by that and nothing else.

Sort of like the gut that come home from an empty hunting trip, gets drunk, takes his dog out back and shoots it. Something that weekend was gonna die by that gun, deer, dog, didn't matter, but something was gonna get shot.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

Hush wrote:I read the account that Arevelo furnished, it was interesting, most shtf situations like that happen quickly and who knows how they will end.
+1

380 didn't do so hot.
NFAtalk.org
Stu
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stu »

I watched a show about that double cross bow accident!!