Obama: Waterboarding Was Torture

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

04-29-2009 9:30 pm - Fox News
Dateline: Washington DC

AP: President Barack Obama said he was "absolutely convinced" he had acted correctly in banning waterboarding, an interrogation technique that simulates drowning, and approved making public the Bush administration memos detailing its use as well as other harsh methods used on terrorist suspects. "Not because there might not have been information that was yielded by these various detainees ... but because we could have gotten this information in other ways, in ways that were consistent with our values, in ways that were consistent with who we are."

Obama Pressed: Would He Authorize Waterboarding if Threat Imminent?

04-29-2009 9:59 pm - MSNBC
Dateline: Washington DC

"That's the responsibility I wake up with and it's the responsibility I go to sleep with. And so I will do whatever is required to keep the American people safe. But I am absolutely convinced that the best way I can do that is to make sure that we are not taking short cuts that undermine who we are."
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

He's 100% correct
PPGMD
Silent But Deadly

Post by PPGMD »

He's 100% wrong.
"Some day you will wake up next to a woman and she won't scream" - A Buddy From College

Hk USP Tactical 45 + Gemtech Blackside
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

He's 50-100% wrong. Whether or not YOU consider water boarding to be torture is half of it. The other half is that he is dead fucking wrong that we could get that information somehow else. We need to treat terrorist captives with love and give them Cheetos and care bear dolls. That's why some guy died trying to capture them, so we can give them a comfy bed and hugs.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

If that is what he believes, then he has a Duty and took a Constitutional Oath to seek out and prosecute anyone who water boarded folks. There is no statute of limitations.

My guess is he does not really believe it enough to do that.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

renegade wrote:If that is what he believes, then he has a Duty and took a Constitutional Oath to seek out and prosecute anyone who water boarded folks. There is no statute of limitations.

My guess is he does not really believe it enough to do that.

He should. It needs to go all the way to the top.
steve7478
Silent But Deadly

Post by steve7478 »

I know the standard arguments and have heard several alternatives to the current "torture" methods. Can anybody shed some light or direct me to what kind of interrogation methods that will be "consistent with our values, in ways that were consistent with who we are."
There is an 11 to 17 minute response time to a 911 call. You can either choose to put effective rounds on target, neutralizing the threat, or try to find a telephone. The person who killed you while you were dialing 911 will have enough time to cook a frozen pizza before the "Badged Historians" show up to draw the chalk line.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

steve7478 wrote:I know the standard arguments and have heard several alternatives to the current "torture" methods. Can anybody shed some light or direct me to what kind of interrogation methods that will be "consistent with our values, in ways that were consistent with who we are."

http://www.army.mil/institution/armypub ... 2-22-3.pdf
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Anybody else think it is odd that this man finds it OK to have partial birth abortions in the final tri-mester just before birth.... yet waterboarding is totally unacceptable?

Wha...?
-----
Ick
st33ve0
Silent But Deadly

Post by st33ve0 »

ick wrote:Anybody else think it is odd that this man finds it OK to have partial birth abortions in the final tri-mester just before birth.... yet waterboarding is totally unacceptable?

Wha...?
THANK YOU.
delmccormick
Silent But Deadly

Post by delmccormick »

I know there was already a post about this, but:

pouring water on someone's face and scaring them, then 30 seconds later they are 100% OK = not torture.

Smashing someone's nutsack with a mallet = torture.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

delmccormick wrote:Smashing someone's nutsack with a mallet = torture.
See now that kind of sentence should be prohibited by the terms of use on SilencerTalk! OUCH!
-----
Ick
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

I'm reminded of one of the new James Bond movies with Dan Craig where they have him nude tied to a chair with no seat and the guy whipping a rope with a big knot at the end under the chair and into his balls, now that's torture with a vengeance. :shock:
Camopaintjob

Post by Camopaintjob »

Perhaps if we lined up all combatants captured out of uniform and shot them, we could get effectively wash our hands of these "torturous" interrogation methods. It's perfectly in line with the Geneva convention, and since we seem unable to get the desired information from the terrorists anyway (using standard interrogation techniques) we would at least be free of the responsibility of clothing, housing, feeding and providing medical treatment to people hell-bent on our destruction.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Camopaintjob wrote:Perhaps if we lined up all combatants captured out of uniform and shot them, we could get effectively wash our hands of these "torturous" interrogation methods. It's perfectly in line with the Geneva convention, and since we seem unable to get the desired information from the terrorists anyway (using standard interrogation techniques) we would at least be free of the responsibility of clothing, housing, feeding and providing medical treatment to people hell-bent on our destruction.
I agree, it is in line with the Geneva convention, shoot them and be done with it.