Yobama puts 55% Tariff on imported tires.

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Second Gen GSX. It was an automatic with ABS. I waited forever to get a manual, but they just never come up for sale. It was my first car, I ended up waiting a year to get it, and then just going with the auto and ABS. You could either get ABS or LSD with the AWD cars, so I got the worst possible. My parents put rules on me, and they said no RWD for my first car, as they knew I'd crash it in the snow. So I got the only AWD car I could afford that I'd want, and crashed it in on big chunks of loose ice.

It still runs on the original engine, which runs as rough now as it did at 50k miles when I got it. The day I went to sell it, I drove to a friends house and mentioned to him that I was selling it. I had no sign on it or anything, and got two offers on it within an hour just by guys on his street walking by. I sold it to one of them, his first car. It's got so many dents on it now, the foglights are smashed up, but he drives really fast and loves it, so it's good. Hopefully he continues the trend and washes it only once a year.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

I can't wait to get out to a local gun show. The guy that sells these is at every one of them in the area selling these things. I finally decided I had enough money to buy a tiny optic. I installed it on my 96/22, and was going to sight it in tomorrow for the silencer shoot. When it was on, I noticed it was incredibly tall, and that the huge tube optic I had on before was much better than this one. So I went to take it off, good old pot metal allen bolts! I didn't even tighten the thing with any real pressure using a tiny loose allen tool that was supplied with it, but when it came time for it to come off all of half a minute later, no go.
I'm going to ask him for a refund very quietly. If he gives me the Chinese runaround to avoid giving me back my money and pretends he doesn't know how such a thing could happen, I'm going to go all out red-faced pissed off American on him. There will be yelling and pointing, and I have picket signs ready to write on and stand in front of his table all day. I was thinking, "Buy American, not pot metal." Now I think the threading on the inside of the mount was out of spec, because that screw would NOT come out. I pried at the plate until it was loose enough to slide off. Good thing the bolt that engages the rail isn't the one that seized and stripped. Garbage.

The sad thing is that I knew the thing was Chinese before I bought it. Well, never again.

Also, it was destroyed because I did interesting things to ensure that I wouldn't scratch the gun. I didn't give half a s--t if the entire dot was ruined. Nothing that bad should ever be sold if it can't even be installed without breaking.
flip
Elite Member

Post by flip »

One of the distributors we get tires from told us at the beginning of October the domestic mfgrs. are going to try and capitalize on this. He claimed 10-35% increase on tires not made in China. I think he is full of s--t because the market can only bear so much for black round rubber. We will see, personally I think he was trying to scare my parts mgr. into buying a truck load, just in case.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Wow.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,557823,00.html

Celebrating the revolution where the Communists excited the poor into killing many of the smart/educated people in China and forced them to flee to Taiwan. No parallel to what Democrats are doing with class warfare.
NN4S
Silent But Deadly

Post by NN4S »

Twinsen wrote:Second Gen GSX. It was an automatic with ABS. I waited forever to get a manual, but they just never come up for sale. It was my first car, I ended up waiting a year to get it, and then just going with the auto and ABS. You could either get ABS or LSD with the AWD cars, so I got the worst possible. My parents put rules on me, and they said no RWD for my first car, as they knew I'd crash it in the snow. So I got the only AWD car I could afford that I'd want, and crashed it in on big chunks of loose ice.

It still runs on the original engine, which runs as rough now as it did at 50k miles when I got it. The day I went to sell it, I drove to a friends house and mentioned to him that I was selling it. I had no sign on it or anything, and got two offers on it within an hour just by guys on his street walking by. I sold it to one of them, his first car. It's got so many dents on it now, the foglights are smashed up, but he drives really fast and loves it, so it's good. Hopefully he continues the trend and washes it only once a year.
Actually, the first & second gen cars were built at the DSM factory in Normal, IL... the ones since `99 have been imported. :wink:
Don T. NN4S
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Anybody willing to place bets on whether or not they can still beat domestic prices ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
doadave

Post by doadave »

Farm use......... :lol:
doadave

Post by doadave »

Opps, farm use no tax.... :lol:
Stu
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stu »

As a former claims adjuster who had a claim or two involving a trailer and Chinese tires, I have to side with Twinsen as well.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

NN4S wrote:
Twinsen wrote:Second Gen GSX. It was an automatic with ABS. I waited forever to get a manual, but they just never come up for sale. It was my first car, I ended up waiting a year to get it, and then just going with the auto and ABS. You could either get ABS or LSD with the AWD cars, so I got the worst possible. My parents put rules on me, and they said no RWD for my first car, as they knew I'd crash it in the snow. So I got the only AWD car I could afford that I'd want, and crashed it in on big chunks of loose ice.

Actually, the first & second gen cars were built at the DSM factory in Normal, IL... the ones since `99 have been imported. :wink:
They were assembled there for sure. But a lot of the parts said Japan on them, and replacement parts that I've seen say China. I assume we sell the Chinese old tooling or something to that effect.

As for the Chinese tires, I looked it up, and that huge Firestone recall was on USA made tires. Both sides can screw it up for sure.
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

It's all about specs and inspection and the desires of the person placing the order to a china factory.
Chinese stuff can be made identical to American stuff. American stuff cannot be made as cheap as Chinese stuff.
This is because of unions and minimum wage laws, the American production price floor is significantly cheaper.

There are several optics makers for rifles that specify very high tolerances and quality parts and in return sell nice scopes much cheaper than an American factory could offer that quality. American stuff usually gets the better rep for being quality because when you are already producing at higher priced minimum production cost, it doesn't make sense to use shitty inspection, materials, or specification. That's because the same pice of s--t part can come from china much cheaper and you loose your share of the market - said otherwise, American parts HAVE to be quality because we cannot compete in production cost.

Nowhere does any of this mean you couldn't call up a Chinese factory and make a part using quality materials with your quality design and specify a rigorous quality assurance inspection. The only valid reasoning for denouncing "Chinese manufacture" would be a stance of principal and not supporting thier business practice.
I reject your truths and substitute my own realities
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

anyone know if Toyo is chinese or japanese??? My tires are already $550 EACH!!!!

Kuhmo chinese??? Thinking about some 37" Kuhmo MT tires.
I got a silencer for my wife.......I think it was a good trade!