Yobama puts 55% Tariff on imported tires.

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

silencertalk
Site Admin

Yobama puts 55% Tariff on imported tires.

Post by silencertalk »

I have not figured out my position on this but it seems rather oppressive to tell a country anything you sell to us we will mark up an additional 55%.
Smalldog
Silent But Deadly

Post by Smalldog »

He's hoping that they do it back to us.

You can figure out what happens then to our industry.....
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Not imported tires in general . Specifically Chinese tires. I suppose we don't need a tire industry in this country just like we didnt need a textile industry or an electronics industry or any other "fill in the blank" industry that we have sold off to the Chinese for short term gain. Our constitution provides for trade tariffs to generate revenue and protect American jobs, industry and farms.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
GRANDPA07
Silent But Deadly

Post by GRANDPA07 »

His approach is much like mercantilism,

My opinion, not a good thing economicly or politically.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

I need to go check my tires to see if they are made in China. If I knew a set of tires was made in China, I wouldn't buy them. I'd not feel safe driving at any speed on Chinese made tires.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Twinsen wrote:I need to go check my tires to see if they are made in China. If I knew a set of tires was made in China, I wouldn't buy them. I'd not feel safe driving at any speed on Chinese made tires.
That is lame. Your thinking is at least 10 years outdated. I was in China six years ago and Shanghai was exploding with modern skyscrapers. Compete with them rather than try to pretend they are not capable of competing with us.

My iPhone was made in China. The quality is outstanding. As is my wife's Macbook machined aluminum case. Go look at one at an Apple store.
mcinfantry
Silent But Deadly

Post by mcinfantry »

rsilvers wrote:
Twinsen wrote:I need to go check my tires to see if they are made in China. If I knew a set of tires was made in China, I wouldn't buy them. I'd not feel safe driving at any speed on Chinese made tires.
That is lame. Your thinking is at least 10 years outdated. I was in China six years ago and Shanghai was exploding with modern skyscrapers. Compete with them rather than try to pretend they are not capable of competing with us.

My iPhone was made in China. The quality is outstanding. As is my wife's Macbook machined aluminum case. Go look at one at an Apple store.
i agree. i have not researched the chinese tires, but i know chinese crawfish are dumped in louisiana at a rate that is incredibly cheaper than crawfish can be produced here.
silentobsession
Elite Member

Post by silentobsession »

Arkady
Silent But Deadly

Post by Arkady »

I'm with Twinsen on this one.

Too many acquaintances in manufacturing have run into issues were the materials are only within specs for the first shipment, and then are changed without warning/notification. One guy's company had a Chinese firm doing metal frames (industrial air handling equipment, if I recall correctly), and the first three or four batches were fine, after which the plant changed the amounts of trace metals being used in the steel, and after being questioned, the plant manager told him, "Well, we can't get that stuff, so we sent this other instead."
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

You would need to test and approve the parts and reject ones which do not meet the engineering drawings. But that is also true with American contractors.

If a large tire company set up a factory in China they would have at least one person move to China and supervise everything in person. A larger company would build their own factory there and actually run it themselves. Apple does not have the problem that some guy in China has switched parts on them because they probably had 10 people from California move there to manage the shop.

China can make anything to any quality level you are willing to pay for. A lot of people go there and want to pay nothing so they may get junk in return. Quality still costs something there as well. Canon makes cameras in China and they are outrageously high quality.

Let me ask you this. If you wanted to make a Canon SLR in the USA, who would you contract to do it? Who would be capable of making it to the same quality level as they make them in China? I personally would not know who to contract here.
Raines/762-SD
Silent But Deadly

Post by Raines/762-SD »

mcinfantry wrote:
rsilvers wrote:

i agree. i have not researched the chinese tires, but i know chinese crawfish are dumped in louisiana at a rate that is incredibly cheaper than crawfish can be produced here.
They also taste different and not of good quality..
LSU Football National Champs
1908, 1958, 2003, 2007
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

I'd gladly own a Chinese camera, knowing it'll still take pictures and if it's an SLR it'll probably have a great warranty. But you won't die and hit a baby if there is a QC issue with your cell phone, or computer or some stupid tech gadget.

I'll never knowingly buy a car part that was made in China. Everything they make is still worse than everything we make, although you can get very very very close, 99% of the time. And yeah, it'll be cheaper the entire time, whoop de fuckin' doo. I'll keep that in mind next time I buy something I don't want.

BTW: Goodyear Eagle F1's, Chinese? I'll never speed again if they are. I'll also be more pissed than a .... can't think of anything pissed enough.
stymie
Silent But Deadly

Post by stymie »

-I LOVE my NEW YOKOHAMA ADVAN Neova AD08s... MADE IN JAPAN! :twisted:

-I LOVE my '98 MITSUBISHI 3000GT VR-4... MADE IN NAGOYA, JAPAN (except for the German Getrag transmission) :twisted:
"My GOD can kick your god's ass!"
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Twinsen wrote:I'll never knowingly buy a car part that was made in China. Everything they make is still worse than everything we make
Harley orders parts from China. It depends what spec it was made to. I would not order a cloned body panel for my car made in China, but I would buy an OEM part that BMW has made in China.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Twinsen wrote:BTW: Goodyear Eagle F1's, Chinese? I'll never speed again if they are.
This makes no sense. Things are made to drawings, and then tested to ensure they meet the spec. It does not matter what lat/long they are made in. Also you need to go to China as you have no idea how modern it is in the most developed areas.

Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Those photo's speak volumes. Modern engineering design skills, modern materials, skilled labor, etc.
It makes me wonder what the east coast will look like after they call in our IOU's and start building here, we can certainly use modern mass transit. :roll:
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

I know how modern the country is, and I realize they can make things cheaply. I also know they still cut corners, have the least respect for intellectual property of any other country, and consider lying to be everyday business practice like most of the Eastern hemisphere. I hate them for what they do on a daily basis, and lack of quality control and quality assurance just add to my distrust. Their method of operation isn't my cup of tea, and I'm not gonna die and look down on my body and think, "I died because I wanted to save $10 on a set of tires."

Also, government funded bootleggers? Yeah, F--k that. Enjoy not getting any of my business. If you're taking pride in it, I'm just going to avoid all of your goods.

I used to keep a pile of broken Chinese goods as a wall of shame, but I never put them up on a wall and it was sortof a waste to do so. Now, I only have the broken Chinese airsoft parts and Chinese gun parts that never fit or broke immediately.

And I'm not saying all Chinese manufacturing is crap, because I know it cannot all be. But I've been disappointed too many times to chance it anymore. Want to buy a Chinese red dot? Guaranteed to be just good enough to fool someone into purchasing it. I've purchased three red dots in my life, all three have deeply disappointed me. Turns out they were made in China. I should have checked before dumping the cash that I will never get back.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Those 'Chinese Red Dots' were not conceived by the factory. Some company said "There are people in America who don't want to spend $400 for an AIMPOINT. Let's find a factory to make us a $90 version of it. We will not put anti-reflective coating on the lens. We will not do R&D to make it have low power consumption. We will not specify nitrogen purging. We will not have an actual pressure test."

AIMPOINT could set up a factory there and make the same product. Abu Garcia makes fishing reels in Sweden and China and they appear to be identical. I bet even the made in Sweden ones source the guts from China now.
GRANDPA07
Silent But Deadly

Post by GRANDPA07 »

Twinsen wrote:I'd gladly own a Chinese camera, knowing it'll still take pictures and if it's an SLR it'll probably have a great warranty. But you won't die and hit a baby if there is a QC issue with your cell phone, or computer or some stupid tech gadget.

I'll never knowingly buy a car part that was made in China. Everything they make is still worse than everything we make, although you can get very very very close, 99% of the time. And yeah, it'll be cheaper the entire time, whoop de fuckin' doo. I'll keep that in mind next time I buy something I don't want.

BTW: Goodyear Eagle F1's, Chinese? I'll never speed again if they are. I'll also be more pissed than a .... can't think of anything pissed enough.
Do a google search for "Eagle f1 GS-d3 made in china". Alot of goodyear eagles are made in china. Your tires should state oragin although suit has been filed for goodyear saying made in the USA but were made in china. The majority of Yamaha , Honda and Suzuki motorcycles have been assembled and parts made in china as well as India, Indonesia, tiwan etc. for years. Stihl set up shop in Qingdao China. I remember when Jap-s--t was found out to be good s--t and then found out to be made in China. That was along time ago.

Times have changed, America gave away the industrial revolution, started the technological revolution, got compliacent and lax. While learning, working and advancement has become a burden here it is considered a luxury elsewhere.
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by eric10mm »

YugoRPK wrote:Not imported tires in general . Specifically Chinese tires.
Well thank God I prefer Korean tires. :D
Fallschirmjaager
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fallschirmjaager »

Twinsen wrote:I know how modern the country is, and I realize they can make things cheaply. I also know they still cut corners, have the least respect for intellectual property of any other country, and consider lying to be everyday business practice like most of the Eastern hemisphere. I hate them for what they do on a daily basis, and lack of quality control and quality assurance just add to my distrust. Their method of operation isn't my cup of tea, and I'm not gonna die and look down on my body and think, "I died because I wanted to save $10 on a set of tires."

Also, government funded bootleggers? Yeah, F--k that. Enjoy not getting any of my business. If you're taking pride in it, I'm just going to avoid all of your goods.
This.

It's not a question of what they're capable of, they have an industrial machine the likes of which the world has never seen and their technology, whether copied and reverse engineered from other countries or procured domestically, is impressive and very first world. The question for me hasn't been their capability for a long time. The question is what they're willing to do for/to us. They poisoned our beef. They're gearing up their military to be a 21st century invasion force when every other country in the world is restructuring to fight low intensity conflicts and counter-insurgency operations. They consistantly, year after year, attack our economy with their own and we owe them more money than any single company could ever hope to make in its entire existance. China might just make the best tires in the world, for those they want to have them. For us, it would not surprise me to get crap.

rsilvers is right in saying that companies in China can and do make excellent quality exports. Does that mean that everything that comes from China is exellent quality? And even if it did, I still would avoid Chinese products as much as I can out of principal. I own a Harley, and it sickens me that there's Chinese anything in it, but at least it was assembled here by American workers and a company paying American taxes. I drive a Japanise car, made in Canada and designed in America. I'm sure there's something Chinese in that too. It's impossible to get away from Chinese products completly, and that's just another one of the problems I have with them.
I live in the weak and the wounded... Doc...
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I drive a car designed in USA and made in USA from over 80% USA parts. A Toyota. I believe it is more USA than the average GM. It actually feels like an American car. And even part of the front bumper shook off from me driving it so much on unpaved roads.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

rsilvers wrote:I drive a car designed in USA and made in USA from over 80% USA parts. A Toyota. I believe it is more USA than the average GM. It actually feels like an American car. And even part of the front bumper shook off from me driving it so much on unpaved roads.
Some Toyota's. Both of mine are 100% Japanese manufacture.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Silvers, I agree with you completely on the cheap dot. They knew what they were making when they did it, and why. I assumed they would work, I assumed wrong. I had bought 2 at once, and they've both failed me, on .22's. It was my fault that I bought them, and my fault that I assumed they were good quality. I believe a good indication of manufacture would be the country they were made in, as I have had good experiences with American made goods and would likely trust an American made dot.

In fact, if my Leupolds are Chinese, I have bought good Chinese goods. I don't know where they are made though. I'm going to go check my tires and my scopes.

As for foreign cars being made here, I'm all for it. I have only bought cars made in north America. I believe they have all been assembled in the USA. I know my Chevy is American, I know my Eclipse was Japanese and American parts assembled here (replacement parts now Chinese), and I have no idea what my Maxima and Pathfinder were, besides that I'm pretty sure they were both assembled here.

Add: The tires say Made In USA.
Last edited by Twinsen on Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fallschirmjaager
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fallschirmjaager »

Twinsen wrote:Silvers, I agree with you completely on the cheap dot. They knew what they were making when they did it, and why. I assumed they would work, I assumed wrong. I had bought 2 at once, and they've both failed me, on .22's. It was my fault that I bought them, and my fault that I assumed they were good quality. I believe a good indication of manufacture would be the country they were made in, as I have had good experiences with American made goods and would likely trust an American made dot.

In fact, if my Leupolds are Chinese, I have bought good Chinese goods. I don't know where they are made though. I'm going to go check my tires and my scopes.

As for foreign cars being made here, I'm all for it. I have only bought cars made in north America. I believe they have all been assembled in the USA. I know my Chevy is American, I know my Eclipse was Japanese and American parts assembled here (replacement parts now Chinese), and I have no idea what my Maxima and Pathfinder were, besides that I'm pretty sure they were both assembled here.
Hey, another Eclipse driver! 4th gen?
I live in the weak and the wounded... Doc...