Watch the Brits wave bye bye to their air guns

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

Hush
Silent But Deadly

Watch the Brits wave bye bye to their air guns

Post by Hush »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... dians.html

I'm sorry for the kid's and their parents but I believe under British law air rifles are suppose to be secured from unauthorized persons.

Boy, 10, shot dead by air gun while playing cowboys and Indians
A 10 year-old boy, Rhys Johnson, has died after he was shot with his father's air gun during a game of “cowboys and Indiansâ€
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

What we need are safer BB's.
longbowrecon
Silent Operator

Post by longbowrecon »

Its unfortunate about the child. I wonder if and where they will stop. No cars, booze, butterknives, clothes pins, water deeper than 2", rocks or tree branches large enough to be a cudgel.
Stu
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stu »

It doesn't even say where he was shot.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Stu wrote:It doesn't even say where he was shot.
Rhys was shot in the chest
The Brits can have two types of air guns an unlicensed @12 ft. lbs. and under and must be licensed for high power, the .22 cal. air rifles can be as powerful as a cal. .22 short.
They are really strict about this, many British air gunners have their own chronograph's and check their power with every new tin of pellets otherwise if their police which do check, find it goes over the 12 ft. lb. mark will confiscate the rifle.
Pistols have to be under 5 or 6 ft. lbs. iirc.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
MicroGuy
Silent But Deadly

Post by MicroGuy »

Got to feel sorry for all involved in that one. I can't imagine shooting my friend, and killing him while just playing. And the parents lose a kid, the other parents have to console the inconsolable. Just bad all around.

But notice the trigger wasn't pulled, it "just went off". Damn those guns. When will we outlaw guns that take it upon themselves to just "go off" when ever they feel like it?? They're clearly the problem here.

Some of those guns are pretty powerful. I've got an ad for a couple that are on sale pretty cheap, one is a chinese gun, the other beeman.

But they're "barrel break" type, spring loaded. I have my doubts about those because once that spring cuts loose, all accuracy is out the window as far as *I* know.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville
steve7478
Silent But Deadly

Post by steve7478 »

This same thing happened when I was about 11 years old with a 10 pump Daisy rifle and a BB. We were playing Fugitive where two people get handcuffed and a "count to 100" head start. Then your buds chase you down and arrest you. Was a fun game. I was handcuffed to my best friend and we were resisting arrest. My best friends brother was the Federal marshal and shot his little brother in the chest from 10 feet away not knowing the gun was loaded.

The BB went through his T-shirt, through his right lung and stopped 1 inch from his heart.

Of course we did not know how serious it was until he finally went to the hospital almost 3 hours later. He was cracking jokes like putting his finger over the hole when he drank water and bitching to his brother for putting a hole in his shirt.

It wasn't until he started getting pale and weak that we let some grown ups know what was going on.

He was in ICU for two days and the hospital for about four more.

We were not allowed to have working BB guns after that.
There is an 11 to 17 minute response time to a 911 call. You can either choose to put effective rounds on target, neutralizing the threat, or try to find a telephone. The person who killed you while you were dialing 911 will have enough time to cook a frozen pizza before the "Badged Historians" show up to draw the chalk line.
Stu
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stu »

Sounds like it cooked off a round to me.
Rogue

Re: Watch the Brits wave bye bye to their air guns

Post by Rogue »

Hush wrote:I'm sorry for the kid's and their parents but I believe under British law air rifles are suppose to be secured from unauthorized persons.
I believe this only applies in the strictest sense to s 1 Firearms, there are no set requirements for storing air rifles at home as far as I am aware. Children under 14 (and the boys in the article were 10 and 12) can only use an air rifle under constant supervision by someone 21 or older. They are not allowed to have 'complete control' at any time, ie if the adult turns away for a few minutes they should take the rifle with them.

A horrible accident and a tragic death, most likely preventable with proper supervision. I'm sure the father knows this and will punish himself more than any court could. I also feel sorry for the older kid but even someone without experience must realise it is a bad idea to point a loaded air rifle at another person.
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Stu wrote:Sounds like it cooked off a round to me.
You've lost me a little there, wasn't aware you could cook off a round in an air rifle as they work on compressed air/co2?
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Rogue wrote:
You've lost me a little there, wasn't aware you could cook off a round in an air rifle as they work on compressed air/co2?
If it's a spring piston rifle (highly popular in the UK so most likely) and if oil leaks into the compression chamber it will diesel and basically act as a genuine firearm. Accuracy goes in the shitter but velocity goes through the roof.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Stu
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stu »

Rogue wrote:
That's the joke.
delmccormick
Silent But Deadly

Post by delmccormick »

Strange that they would be playing cowboys and indians there. Our kids don't play king and subjects.
chingon
Silent But Deadly

Post by chingon »

delmccormick wrote:Strange that they would be playing cowboys and indians there. Our kids don't play king and subjects.
:lol: :lol: :lol: