FN 5.7 Seems to be the Weapon in Ft Hood shooting!

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Twinsen wrote:They must be going by energy and no other number.
I think he is a Marshall / Sanow fan and quoting those 'one shot stops' (which I do not subscribe to).
jppd47
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by jppd47 »

rsilvers wrote:The trigger is hard for me to get used to. I am not opposed to the round itself. If there was a plastic P7 that held 10 rounds of it I would be all for it.
I am pretty new to the pistol world, what do you find different about the trigger? I dont mind it at all. I have onlt shoot a few other pistols. Glock, Beretta, PPK...
pro-gun gun owners are a minority.
Fair Use applies (U.S. Code Title 17 Chapter 1 Subsection 107)
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

rsilvers wrote:
Sigproshooter wrote:Agreed, terrible ballistics, shitty trigger,horrible looks.

I'd just buy a .22 mag!! That is all it is anyway a glorified .22 mag!!!

I'll bet they won't hit anything past 25 meters with any authority, and ammo is hard to find, why bother?
.22mag is a rimmed case and rimfire. Much less reliable.

AHahaha,,agreed.
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

[quote]The takbÄ«r or takbeer (تَكْبÙ
Last edited by Ben B. on Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

Thank Allah that he chose a 5.7. There would have been many more fatalities if he'd chosen a proper pistol. Insh'Allah.
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

Ben B. wrote:Thank Allah that he chose a 5.7. There would have been many more fatalities if he'd chosen a proper pistol. Insh'Allah.
That is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read in my life.
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

rsilvers wrote:The trigger is hard for me to get used to. I am not opposed to the round itself. If there was a plastic P7 that held 10 rounds of it I would be all for it.
I agree strongly.
Syntax360
Silent But Deadly

Post by Syntax360 »

Until we see verification that the FiveseveN was this guy's weapon of choice, I'm going to have to remain a skeptic - there's no way he could have afforded 2+ magazines of 5.7x28mm in this economy.
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

Syntax360 wrote:Until we see verification that the FiveseveN was this guy's weapon of choice, I'm going to have to remain a skeptic - there's no way he could have afforded 2+ magazines of 5.7x28mm in this economy.
5.7x28 has not jumped like every other round out there.
Sun Tzu
silverbulletexpress
Silent But Deadly

Post by silverbulletexpress »

What a tradgedy, a base full of soldiers who you could assume most if not all could handle a firearm and none had one because of the strict on base rules. The military is slow to learn, there have been accounts of soldiers being killed because of being disarmed while in theater in wartime even. Can't anyone in charge recognize that we have had war declared on us? We are at war, at least our soldiers should be aremed. Look how they glossed over the shootings at LR.

I agree totaly with BenB, the 5.7 is way way over hyped, it has low recoil and high capacity going for it I will give it that but the terminal performance is lacking at least for what I want out of a PD pistol. I suppose it is accurate if you can handle the trigger. Look at the stats on this shooting, 38% of those he shot actually died as distasteful as that is to discuss. He shot 100 rounds or so and now we find out he had 2 handguns so I wonder which rounds accounted for what?

I think the fact that he picked out a expensive pistol with very expensive ammo is evidence that he planned this, and wanted to do the most damage possible, he believed the5.7 hype for sure. I'll always believe it was an act of muslim terrorism on US soil. The lib media is trying to but a spin on him that he got PTSD from talking to guys with it!! LMAO At least the credible medical community is calling bs on that.

It's and age old argument over capacity versus caliber, I'll take big bullets everytime. The good thing is we all can chose what we want to defend ourselves with, for now anyway.

The female cop who took him down is a hero for sure. She was taking hits from his bad ass 5.7 and managed to put him down with her pistol, not sure if it was a 9 or 40 but she is a warrior.
joshrunkle35
Silent But Deadly

Post by joshrunkle35 »

silverbulletexpress wrote:What a tradgedy, a base full of soldiers who you could assume most if not all could handle a firearm and none had one because of the strict on base rules. The military is slow to learn, there have been accounts of soldiers being killed because of being disarmed while in theater in wartime even. Can't anyone in charge recognize that we have had war declared on us? We are at war, at least our soldiers should be armed.
This whole thing reminds me of an account from one of the Pacific Islands during WWII. The brass said the island was cleared and ordered all soldiers to turn in ALL ammo so it could be loaded up for storage, or sent forward to the next island engagement.

The soldiers wouldn't turn in their ammo. (mind you, they're on a beach of a freshly "cleared" island during WWII) They were threatened with court-martial if they didn't comply. They all turned in their ammo and were attacked that night. They survived using bolos and because many men disobeyed stupid orders. That's right, men did the right thing and disobeyed a stupid order, and if they hadn't, many more would have died.
So the Libyan Fable is told
That once an eagle, stricken with a dart,
Said, when he saw the fashion of the shaft,
"With our own feathers, not by others' hands,
Are we now smitten."
-Anton Myrer, Once an Eagle
jhs27275
Silent But Deadly

Post by jhs27275 »

silverbulletexpress wrote: He shot 100 rounds or so and now we find out he had 2 handguns so I wonder which rounds accounted for what?
If you can believe the reports, all his shots were from the 5.7. The pistol also had a laser attached.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

I know through someone that served in Germany during the early '90s that soldiers on guard duty were not permitted to have any ammo whatsoever. Empty magazine and chamber in their M16. All for show, no real power to provide security.

I have no idea what base it was.
-----
Ick
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

I was in Germany in the late '90s and unless they were MP's, our gate guards in Frankfurt and Hanau either carried empty M16's, or no weapon at all.

I can't comment on any specifics of the state of affairs in Korea in '95 because we still have soldiers on the DMZ, but there was some seriously fucked up political bullshit going on sometimes.
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

I spent a little time in a patriot missile unit. We had patriots and stingers in a remote site north of Friedburg. Each guard got issued 5 rounds and they better not have been chambered by te end of the shift.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

jhs27275 wrote:If you can believe the reports, all his shots were from the 5.7. The pistol also had a laser attached.
Laser? That's the next thing on the B.S. ban list I'll bet :x
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

YugoRPK wrote:I spent a little time in a patriot missile unit. We had patriots and stingers in a remote site north of Friedburg. Each guard got issued 5 rounds and they better not have been chambered by te end of the shift.
[threadjack]

HA! I've got you beat. When pulling guard duty at the ammo supply point in Ft. Campbell, KY, we were issued magazines with only three rounds in them because it was easier to look down into the magazine and verify that all three round were present.

The entire time I was assigned to Ft. Campbell, the alarm system at the ASP was broken, so we had to do roving patrols. This meant one guy with three bullets was on the gate and two guys with 6 rounds were driving around in a Humvee.

But you know what happens when you have three soldiers running around in the middle of the night with nothing to do. :D You know those big articulating forklifts? Yeah, there were a few of those parked around the ASP. You should have seen the eyes on the guy in the shack when me and another guy came driving back from our rounds carrying our Humvee on one of those forklifts. :lol:

What scared me is that these forklifts were one of the only Army vehicles I've ever encountered that despite being painted green, were still civilianized enough to need a key to start it. So the steering wheel wasn't locked as is the norm, and the cheap little wafer lock key was in the ignition. The only thing securing the bunkers was a chain link fence, three soldiers with 3 bullets each, two Motorola radios, a telephone in the guard shack, and a very large padlock on the doors of each bunker. These bunkers held everything from 9mm & 5.56, to C4 & Bangalore Torpedos & shape charges & claymore mines, to mortar & artillery rounds, and even AT4's & Stinger missiles. The ASP was far enough into the back forty that gunshots would have gone unheard, or people would just assume the gunshots came from the training area. Looking at Google Earth, there are some houses nearby now, but I don't think those were there back in the early '90s.

Four steps to terrorist nirvana (back in 1992-1994 when the alarm system was broken. I'm sure it's fixed by now.):

1. Wait for the guards to pass by. (The Ft. Campbell ASP is pretty damn big. If we were actually patrolling, we'd pass by any one point about once every 10 minutes. The main part of the ASP is about 600 acres.)
2. Drive a truck through the fence.
3. I'm pretty sure those forklifts could sheer the hasps off the doors of the bunkers.
4. Use the forklift to load your truck.

With this in mind, me and my soldiers would sign for our three round magazines and leave them in the vehicle. I usually "issued" myself and my soldiers at least thirty rounds each, depending on how many rounds I had stashed away at the time.

Luckily for us and whoever might have tried to test us, the only thing we ever saw out there were deer, and lots of them. I don't think they could get out of there and there wasn't anything in there that could kill them. The Army sure as hell wouldn't let anyone go in there and hunt them.

Another fun thing to do was to drive the Humvees straight over the top of the bunkers. I know we weren't the first ones to do this, because there were tire ruts over the tops of every single bunker in there. :lol:

Eventually, this got a bit old, so we started baja'ing everywhere in the ASP. There was this one big, steep, grassy hill that we went down. At the bottom on the hill, there was a concrete ditch/gutter. We tried to slow down, but when we hit the brakes, we slid. When we got to the bottom, the front bumper, if you could call it that, hit the ditch - "Clunk". We put it in reverse, couldn't get out. Remember those big ass forklifts? We did too, and that's the only way we were able to rescue ourselves before sunrise. :D

Yeah, remember those magazines with three bullets in each? Well, somehow, we still managed to come up short by a couple of rounds on every single week long guard rotation our unit pulled there.

But, despite all the ass chewings we got for s--t like coming up short on ammo counts, those were good times...

(I'm pretty sure it was the gun bunnies that couldn't count. The forward observers and the fire direction guys were all pretty smart. :wink: )

[/threadjack] Gotta get back to work. :D
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
reaper1
Senior Silent Operator

Post by reaper1 »

Well lets hope no terrerist read your post. Maby we can just draw them a map and give them 10 diget grid too, ass hat
American Reaper Arms
FFL type 07 class II SOT.
Shelby Nebraska
Bone16
Elite Member

Post by Bone16 »

reaper1,

I guess steroids dont help people's spelling much do they? Get the sand out of your mangina before you make a pearl there stud! :roll:

FYI, the security at all of the Army installation ammunition points is now secure. That was the #2 priority of the military after 9/11. Second only to kicking whomever's ass started the fight.
America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the mall.

Bone 16, Asshat at large, OUT!
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

reaper1 wrote:Well lets hope no terrerist read your post. Maby we can just draw them a map and give them 10 diget grid too, ass hat
A whole lot has changed in the past fifteen years. Maybe the soldiers still only have three rounds, or maybe they have none, or maybe they have thirty. I'd be willing to bet one million dollars on the fact that the alarm system has since been repaired or even replaced with a newer, more sophisticated alarm system. Maybe that one is broke too, who knows besides the good soldiers who are currently patrolling the ASP at night.
kalikraven
Elite Member

Post by kalikraven »

Right after Sept 11th I was on a squad that defended post headquarters at Ft Carson. All of us had no ammo. We had another squad that guarded the airfield, they had a foot locker with ammo in it but only the NCOIC had the key.

It was fustraiting to me because if something did happen what where we supposed to do, point our guns and yell bang? At least we had radio's to call for backup... from the MP's but if it went that far we would allready be gone.
Going a little more discrete here due to some of my opinions...
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

reaper1 wrote:Well lets hope no terrerist read your post. Maby we can just draw them a map and give them 10 diget grid too, ass hat
This stuff aint exactly top secret. No military, The Isralis being the possible exception, trusts their troops with live ammo during peacetime.

Besides, smuggling high explosives into the country would be easier and attract less attention than stealing it anyway.
"I'm not afraid of dying. I's HOW I die that I'm concerned about." - Crosshair

"Beware the man with one gun. He probably doesn't know how to use it."