Critter in house

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

silencertalk
Site Admin

Critter in house

Post by silencertalk »

This was running around my house. I left the door open but it did not go out. Took one shot with a Hammerli pellet gun.

tmix
Silent But Deadly

Post by tmix »

Poor little bugger. Must have flown in to some bad weather and was using your place as a hangar.
[size=150]Machine gun snob by proxy. [/size]
[img]http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x190/tmixon762/Colt_Automatic_Rifle_01.jpg[/img]
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

So it a came in through the chimney?
commissar_yarrick
Silent But Deadly

Post by commissar_yarrick »

does it look like it's using crane style to anyone else? :lol:
Winter Is Coming.
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

rsilvers wrote:So it a came in through the chimney?
Sounds the most likely, it's the right height (Tree level, it is a Flying Squirrel), chimneys are sometimes nested in (from what I hear), it could've just been looking for somewhere warm/been curious, and found its way in that way.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

commissar_yarrick wrote:does it look like it's using crane style to anyone else? :lol:
Roflmao.....
NFAtalk.org
silentobsession
Elite Member

Post by silentobsession »

It could have gone worse I suppose...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdiXSsFp29s
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Flying squirrel .... Fun amazing little guys.

We had a pet one. Raised it from a baby up in the UP of MI. Was the cutest little thing. Would stay in your top shirt pocket. Curl up and sleep. VERY TAME. We started with milk in an eye dropper. Then moved up.

We had a 2 story screened in porch on the back of the log cabin we lived in. (it's about 90 years old now) and the little critter would climb up the massive logs to the top and sail down an land on your shoulder. Looking for affection.

We finally returned it to the wild once it was big enough.

Our major problems... Chipmunks, red squirrels, and mice and more mice.

My sister made the mistake of not locking the screen door one night and a raccoon was in her bedroom one night.

When we were little and "game" was more abundant. (We would feed the deer out of our hands saltines in our driveway ..

Black bears would occasionally smash into the porch to get at the trash cans which were in a wood box on the back porch. Not a problem since we got rid of the "dump" Where we could go and see black bear just about any day.

Now it's all compressed and removed.. also a strict recycle program. The bears have since moved on.

My grand mother was quite the hunter. We have a moose head mounted, a black bear, and a few deer that she shot. She was an amazing fly fisherman and taught me how as a kid to use a fly rod, tie flys etc.....

She lived in MI in the UP during the summers, and NY off season. A world traveler, yoga enthusiast, and a concert pianist. She had a Steinway in her NY apartment. When she down sized and moved she had it "moved" at a fantastic expense. Up the side of the building and had to knock a wall out between 2 windows to get it in.

I wish I had gotten to know her better. She was an interesting woman with a full life.

She was primarily a Christian and went to St. Johns in NY. As little kids we would play with miniature guns while bored to death during the services.... It worked.. we were quiet. We had to go to church when we went to NY to visit for a weekend. But she "studied" other religions and felt there was a common thread ...

She had an an amazing life. To bad I was young and careless when a kid and did not learn more from her.

She spent time in INDIA, EGIPT, Europe, and lived in the Okefenokee swamp for a while. Which her family owned 1909 to 1927, lumbered then sold.

Stories of canoeing and having coral snakes fall into the boat while all "dressed up" in proper attire. The pictures of her parents generation going on a pick-nick, and seeing them all "dressed up" Hats, ruffles full length skirts, the men in suites and bow ties. It shows the huge differences between back then and now.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

I know that squirrels can be quite destructive and a nuisance. Luckily we don't have any trouble with them. There are a number of greys in our backyard that are pretty busy these days burying black walnuts. Back in Illinois there were some red squirrels that loved one of our oak trees. One day I was working outside and came across one burying an acorn. It seemed a tad annoyed with my presence but sat there at my feet furiously digging a hole for the acorn.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
st33ve0
Silent But Deadly

Post by st33ve0 »

silentobsession wrote:It could have gone worse I suppose...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdiXSsFp29s
Worse still: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o4skMGZgn4
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

The Gray's are tenacious and will really mess up your house if they find a way in.

My son had a problem with them in his attic. "green peanut putter" was the permanent solution. Mouse/rat poison mixed with peanut butter. ...

They are no more.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

I'm looking to complete the final solution to the squirrelish question. They destroy everything. We have neighbors' cats, squirrels, and woodpeckers that all need to die.
silentobsession
Elite Member

Post by silentobsession »

Twinsen wrote:I'm looking to complete the final solution to the squirrelish question. They destroy everything. We have neighbors' cats, squirrels, and woodpeckers that all need to die.
Youtube has a solution for everything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIfuaUTH9Y4

You're welcome.
mudshark
Silent But Deadly

Post by mudshark »

Holy crap, Silvers. I don't know how to tell ya this, but his Moose buddy is gonna be looking for him. If that pair of crazy Russians don't come calling first!!! :D
Mitt Romney is a gun banning RINO.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Oh I forgot to ask... What was Johnny Depp doing in your house in the first place?

ooooo
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

It might have been more fun by trying to throw a towel over it and releasing it out side.
Catch and release, a friend and I did that with a bat that was in his house once, ugly little thing it was.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
Wyatt9k
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wyatt9k »

Hush wrote:It might have been more fun by trying to throw a towel over it and releasing it out side.
Catch and release, a friend and I did that with a bat that was in his house once, ugly little thing it was.
err a bat, wouldve been a little afraid of getting bit and getting rabies, I wouldve taken a pellet gun to that thing, but the flying squirel is cute I dont think I could shoot that. :)
steve7478
Silent But Deadly

Post by steve7478 »

I have alerted PETA of your slaying of an innocent creature of mother earth. They will be there shortly to issue you a summons to appear before the tribal council and you will be demoted 4 karma credits for your violation.
There is an 11 to 17 minute response time to a 911 call. You can either choose to put effective rounds on target, neutralizing the threat, or try to find a telephone. The person who killed you while you were dialing 911 will have enough time to cook a frozen pizza before the "Badged Historians" show up to draw the chalk line.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Wyatt9k wrote:
Hush wrote:It might have been more fun by trying to throw a towel over it and releasing it out side.
err a bat, wouldve been a little afraid of getting bit and getting rabies, I wouldve taken a pellet gun to that thing, but the flying squirel is cute I dont think I could shoot that. :)
We were young and foolish, I'd say around 13 or 14 y.o. at the time, It was a little funny when we released it as there were some girls around, hey, look at what we have, girls screaming and running around with their hands on their heads afraid the bat would get tangled up in their hair. :lol:
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

I get a bat in the house about once a year.

My cats go CRAZY! One timeone of my 2 cats (RIP) (a singapura) jumped into the air and snatched it out of the air at about 4.5-6' high at full speed. I was floored. (I have since rescued another pair of severely abused Singapura's .. I drove to Chicago to get them)

I managed to rescue the slightly injured bat from my cat it before he killed it and released it (stunned hopefully) and I believe it survived. It was not out in the yard where I left it after an hr. That or a hawk got it. But I put it is a protected spot with cover.

I have a technique that works well. A kitchen screen strainer and a cookie sheet. Sometimes a step ladder is needed as they "park" in the highest place in the house. I have caught and released maybe 4. In my log cabin in MI we get them often too. They are harder to catch. Heavy work gloves....

Bats are very helpful.... and don't have rabies like most think. They eat a huge amount of insects that would normally prey on YOU. I encourage them and have a bat box.

Sadly the bat community in the NE is being devastated by the "White Nose Disease".

I did have bats in my yard at night this year but less then usual.

http://www.fws.gov/northeast/white_nose.html

With populations decreases of over 30% in some areas... some colonies have been completely destroyed. This is a real serious problem.
Smalldog
Silent But Deadly

Post by Smalldog »

I bet you enjoyed shooting it..... :twisted:
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

Do they taste like chicken?
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

JohnInNH wrote:.... and don't have rabies like most think.
Zuh? Sure they do. Is every bat rabid? No. But plenty are.

IIRC the rabies fatalities we've had in VA in the last twenty years were both bat strain rabies.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Re: Critter in house

Post by silencertalk »

Just shot another one in the house. This time with an Anshutz 0.177 rifle.