need help choosing a knife

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

Arkady
Silent But Deadly

Post by Arkady »

I've owned Benchmade and SOG folders that were fantastic knives, for just about any task you can imagine.

My daily carry is a CRKT M16-13Z.

It's cheap, solid, and does a fair job of holding an edge. The action is smooth (put a drop of Slip 2000 lube on the teflon pad), I can operate it one handed, the blade is quick to deploy once you learn the Carson Flipper, and the knife is cheap enough that if you lose it--buy another one.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Officer .... That's not a weapon, it's my Ice Scraper!
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
Bits
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bits »

Blaubart wrote:
JohnInNH wrote:I try to stay under 3"...
Good advice. I did a little searching around and it seems that it's illegal to carry a knife with a blade longer than 2.5" in a federal building.
I carry a Gerber Fast Draw (slightly over 2.5") and the FPS hasn't complained, although one dude was a little freaked out when it "opened by itself."

I had to close it for him, he was about to cut himself.

:roll:
Incoming fire has right of way.
commissar_yarrick
Silent But Deadly

Post by commissar_yarrick »

I'll third the SOG Flash 2, i carry mine if i'm awake and it has yet to let me down.
Winter Is Coming.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

JohnInNH wrote:Officer .... That's not a weapon, it's my Ice Scraper!
heh ... man made saphire blade, same stuff as watch crystals.

http://englishrussia.com/?p=590
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
delmccormick
Silent But Deadly

Post by delmccormick »

Blaubart wrote:
JohnInNH wrote:I try to stay under 3"...
Good advice. I did a little searching around and it seems that it's illegal to carry a knife with a blade longer than 2.5" in a federal building.

http://www.donath.org/Rants/StateKnifeLaws/
(Not sure how reputable that site is, but I'm too lazy to search for the federal law. The link the site provides for reference gives a DNS error.)
Possessing a knife in a federal facility is prohibited unless it is a pocket knife with blade under 2.5".
Maybe I need to leave my knife in the car next time I go to the post office... :roll:

Montana law is much easier to search. It states:
45-8-316. Carrying concealed weapons. (1) Every person who carries or bears concealed upon his person a dirk, dagger... sword cane... knife having a blade 4 inches long or longer, razor not including a safety razor, or other deadly weapon shall be punished by a fine... or imprisonment...
Which is a good thing, because I carry the exact same knife that RX7-2nr posted above. I measured the blade just now and it's 3.5".
Don't forget, in MT that law doesn't apply if you have a CWP, or are outside city limits (IIRC), hunting, etc. Also, just have your Sheriff issue you a "knife collector" letter, and you're OK for carrying auto knives too. They had mine in the mail the same day I asked for it.
RX7-2nr
Silent But Deadly

Post by RX7-2nr »

Blaubart wrote: Good advice. I did a little searching around and it seems that it's illegal to carry a knife with a blade longer than 2.5" in a federal building.

http://www.donath.org/Rants/StateKnifeLaws/
that site points out that TX is known for David Bowie and his Bowie Knives, but Bowie Knives are illegal in TX for some reason. :lol:
SFCat66
Silent But Deadly

Post by SFCat66 »

picked up a Microtech Socom D/A today for 250.00. Excellent condition, my new daily carry knife.
"Normal is a cycle on a washing machine"

SFCat66
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

I have a Microtech Troodon with the Wharncliffe blade, plain edge, that is pretty handy. I also have a UT-II that is double edged, urban camo'd, and I'm embarrassed to be seen with it, it's too ATAS for my taste. The ProTech Runt is a slick little tool with autoknife cool, and I carry that most.
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Re: need help choosing a knife

Post by rob_s »

tacticalsniper3 wrote:i need some help with choosing a knife for everyday carry. i was looking at a Gerber Torch I Tanto and was wondering if that would be a good knife to carry with me. or do anyone have any knives they would recommend.
As I'm sure you can see by the posts above, when you ask a generic question like this all you get is people suggesting whatever it is that they like or use, with no qualification as to why they like it or what they use it for. Useless.

Tell us more about what "every day carry" means to you. Are you in the building trades? an office worker? A student? A cop? Do you want a knife with a clip that you can attach to the top of your pocket, or do you need to be more discrete and put the knife actually in the pocket? If clipped on, do you know if you prefer tip-up or tip-down? Are you looking for something that is more utility or defense oriented? What's the ratio (90:10 in favor of utility?)? What tasks is it likely to perform on the "utility" side? What's your price limit?

In order to really suggest something, you have to provide more information.

Here is something I have posted elsewhere about blade profiles and types outlining my needs at the time, my choice, my past experience, and my ultimate daily carry knife. Now that I am more often in the office than the field, this has changed.
I sold Benchmades years ago, and consequently own quite a few. I have several blade styles, sizes, etc. I also still think that Benchmade is just about the best value in the knife business, and with the number of different styles they make today I always start with them when I'm knife shopping and then go to the competition if Benchmade doesn't have something that will fill my needs, which is rare.

I have gotten away from any tanto or serrated blade styles. While I do think they can serve their purpose, I don't find that either is suitable for my use. Combine the two and you've got yourself an even less useful tool.

Let's look at the Griptilian with thumb stud as an example (even though I think the one with the thumbhole is a better tool)

Here's the basic Griptillian. Notice the full smooth cutting edge of the standard blade. The blade is 3.45" long and you essentially have the full length of the blade for cutting.

Now here's the same blade style, but partially serrated. Notice that the serrations take up at least 1/3 and more like 1/2 of the total cutting edge of the knife. Yes, the serrations still cut too, but depending on what you're cutting you may not want that jagged of a cut, and in my experience a sharp non-serrated blade will cut through things like zip-ties and packing straps, and even extension cords, without a problem.

And here's the tanto version. See how the sharp angle in the blade reduces the cutting edge even further? The longest uninterrupted cutting edge on the knife is now the serrated portion. If what you want is a serrated knife, buy a serrated knife, because buying this blade style is just about useless for any fine cutting.

One last suggestion, and I don't think this option exists in the mini-Griptilian models, but if you're going to be doing any cutting that involves plunging the knife into something, or if you're going to be using the full length of the blade for cutting, consider getting the thumbhole model. In my experience the thumb stud just gets in the way, and gets mucked up with whatever you're trying to cut in these situations.

If you're wondering where I come up with all this nonsense, it's from carrying and using a very early production Benchmade Striker as a daily work knife on a construction site. This knife was used to dig holes, cut insulation off of chilled water pipes, cut many a head off of a defective extension cord, and also open boxes, pull staples from plans, and even do a little paper cutting in the office. Notice the amount of finish wear as a testament to how well used this knife was. In the year that I used it I sent it back to Benchmade once for the lifesharp mostly because I kind of dinged the blade edge on the foremost cutting surface using the knife as a screwdriver.

and what's my current daily carry knife on the jobsite? The one below, based on all the lessons I learned trying to use the Striker as a work tool.

WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Like Rob...

I use it in my warehouse... I cut banding, pull big box staples (not with the edge but with the back of the blade... Whittle walking sticks, cut lamp cord, trim wire, cut hangnails, trim a ripped finger nail, cut cardboard. Open boxes, cut plastic pipe, cut my steak to eat, open my VA disability check envelope LOL... clean my fingernails, scrape inspection stickers, and other crap, and hand it to people constantly who ask: Anyone have a knife? Even used it in a pinch to eat yogurt. WATCH OUT! and cut seat-belts.... It's sharp.

I do not use it for a screwdriver, pry bar, or a shovel.

I have had it for 3+ years. Sharpen it when it needs is which is easy. I keep it just sharp enough to cut hair off my arm... not as sharp as my other knives which are hair popping sharp. This has a steeper angle and has more of a working edge. I like that the edge is under 3" It is not threatening and does not draw attention.

The only thing I am not really fond of is the false double edge at the tip.

STEEL: VG-10. Rc 59-60
BLADE LENGTH: 3" (sharpened is just UNDER 3")
O.A.L.: 7"
BLADE THICKNESS: .12"
WEIGHT: 3.5 oz.
ACTION: Liner Lock
SCALES: Textured G-10
CLIP: Reversible
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

CKRT M16 series are all that I carry any more. They open when you draw your the knife from you pocket, so they are way faster than a switch blade. They have a full hand guard which will keep you from cutting the s--t out of yourself if you need to go to town with it. And it has a secondary lock which guarantees that it won't fold on you by accident. And they are relatively cheap and still very well made. I've thrown my smaller one hundreds of times and had it deck out on cement a lot. Thing is built like a tank.

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

I really like my SOG Flash II and actually have had really good luck with my little Kershaw Skyline.
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

To the OP: What kind of work do you do that you can carry a full size fixed blade? Looks like the ones you're looking at are fairly large. Does the work you're doing require this kind of knife?

I work in a hospital so have to be discreet. Carried a Kershaw Scallion, (plain edge) for about 5 years. Great blade, about 2.5" with good geometry allowing everything from basic food prep to field dressing a Javelina. Eventually replaced with a Kershaw JunkYardDog because the safety catch on the Scallion kept breaking. (Kershaw kept sending me replacements, free of charge, but I still don't like open blades close to the cojones.) The JYD is slightly heavier and longer (about 3" but has has a wharncliff/drop-point hybrid blade) with even better blade geometry for daily work and is thinner than the Scallion.
Both carried appendix carry,on the waistband, behind the belt so nearly invisible to the casual observer, never gets jostled and can be produced REAL quick when needed.
Some folks like big blades, but I've never been able to get used to them. I like to "choke up" on the tip which makes 3.5" about the max for me.
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
tacticalsniper3
Silent But Deadly

Post by tacticalsniper3 »

Dweezil wrote:To the OP: What kind of work do you do that you can carry a full size fixed blade? Looks like the ones you're looking at are fairly large. Does the work you're doing require this kind of knife?

I work in a hospital so have to be discreet. Carried a Kershaw Scallion, (plain edge) for about 5 years. Great blade, about 2.5" with good geometry allowing everything from basic food prep to field dressing a Javelina. Eventually replaced with a Kershaw JunkYardDog because the safety catch on the Scallion kept breaking. (Kershaw kept sending me replacements, free of charge, but I still don't like open blades close to the cojones.) The JYD is slightly heavier and longer (about 3" but has has a wharncliff/drop-point hybrid blade) with even better blade geometry for daily work and is thinner than the Scallion.
Both carried appendix carry,on the waistband, behind the belt so nearly invisible to the casual observer, never gets jostled and can be produced REAL quick when needed.
Some folks like big blades, but I've never been able to get used to them. I like to "choke up" on the tip which makes 3.5" about the max for me.
this is what i will use it for.

i work on a loading dock and have to cut boxes, open boxes, cut bands(metal and plastic) and the occasional pallet(maybe once a month).
i also am on the volunteer fire dept and will have to use this this cut someone's clothes, break a window, or have to cut some other heavy duty material.

so essentially i need a tough blade that holds an effective edge for almost anything