Time to cancel MythBusters?

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

MicroGuy
Silent But Deadly

Time to cancel MythBusters?

Post by MicroGuy »

Along the lines of my rant about that stupid movie, live hard, die free or what ever it was....

"Myth"-busters is doing an episode (old) about jail breaks. Supposedly a fan sent in an idea for a method to break out of prison by putting your old-timey ball (and chain) into the prisons ceremonial cannon and launching yourself over the wall.

THAT'S FROM A DAMN BUGS BUNNY CARTOON!!!!!!

A) are people really so stupid they'll believe cartoons now??

B) can mythbusters not know about this? Can they not check into it?

C) it's just SO obvious that even if you had access to a cannon and the needed explosive you'd just take your leg off.

D) why bother with that when you can just use the cannon in some other way??

Bugs Bunny cartoons...... man, just end it already if you're gonna do that crap. Where's your dignity?

Am I sounding extra cranky lately?? Or is it just me?
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

They get a good quarter of their myths tested terribly, and just about every one of their assumptions is wrong. Even things they say are "known truth" before the tests are dead wrong. They're shocked by things I learned in middleschool.

The red head makes the show worth watching.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

There probably running out of ideas or things to try and are grasping at straws, they have been on pretty long now.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

I don't care what theyre testing as long as I can drool over Kari Byron.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
TreeMoss
Silent Operator

Post by TreeMoss »

It would only be interesting to have such a budget and privileges, most of the time the show is boring.....other than that cute red head, it just takes a long time for them to explain some things that are not that interesting most of the time....it's just blowing stuff up or generally creating damage, it's not fun to watch other people do that, just fun to damage things yourself.
Okay, I like cops but not prosecutors or Deputies.
Arkady
Silent But Deadly

Post by Arkady »

Any time they test a myth in a field of which I have any knowledge/experience, they irk me.

How hard is it to contact a subject matter expert first?

No one from the Alameda sheriff's office range cadre knew how tracers worked? (Jamie claimed that tracers are ignited by the friction generated by the air passing over the nose of the bullet)
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

Arkady wrote:(Jamie claimed that tracers are ignited by the friction generated by the air passing over the nose of the bullet)
They've done this multiple times. I have no idea where they would get that idea.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

They DO know how to remove hardened concrete from a mix truck. Well, at least make it disappear. :lol:
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

I'd do Kari.

But seriously. After the orange tipped tracer round issue they los all of my respect. i.e. That the friction of the bullet in the air makes the phosphorus on the tip burn.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

YugoRPK wrote:I don't care what theyre testing as long as I can drool over Kari Byron.
She hasn't been on lately because she's on mega prega maternity leave. The substitute is a little on the rough side.
TreeMoss
Silent Operator

Post by TreeMoss »

Twinsen wrote:
Arkady wrote:(Jamie claimed that tracers are ignited by the friction generated by the air passing over the nose of the bullet)
They've done this multiple times. I have no idea where they would get that idea.
Ya that is pretty dumb, but it is what the spotter looks for when a tracer is not used...so just their idea of taking something they thought impressive during their lazy ass training time...that isn't real professional.

Most police snipers are not going to have to spot downrange and notice a lot, it's usually just a stand off and they look real impressive in an inner city environment or a closed in house....not some anti-sniper team stalking in a large National Forest.

But ya to clarify you all should know that a spotter can see the bullet's air currents going down range....it's sure not a tracer which is not a good idea for a sniper team!
Okay, I like cops but not prosecutors or Deputies.
hemi
Silent But Deadly

Post by hemi »

xray mod for photoshop enhances nips through some clothes:

NSFW

http://www.sexuallycorrect.com/cxr-KariByron-01.jpg
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

They've got a forum. You should post on there and drop some expertise. Maybe they'll redo it.
TOOL1075
Silent But Deadly

Post by TOOL1075 »

That show bugs me.

If they had a little more education, they could do a much better job. Instead, they rely on their movie special-effects experience, so I have to throw s--t at the TV when they say stupid things.

I haven't watched the show in a long time... I didn't want to break my TV.
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

A large part of the show seems to be just for the hell of it and whatever they might find fun.
http://xkcd.com/397/
"You'll put yer eye out with that thing"

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

hemi wrote:xray mod for photoshop enhances nips through some clothes:

NSFW

http://www.sexuallycorrect.com/cxr-KariByron-01.jpg
Best post in this thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
kwin201
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwin201 »

i didnt see the relevance in the post

but i enjoyed it
Maser
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maser »

I love the show no matter what they are testing. I am usually lucky enough to catch the show while they are having a mini marathon. My only complaint is Jamie's stupid looking mustache.
My intelligence is like a suppressed rimfire pistol. You may not be able to hear it, but it certainly always hits its mark.
gunham
Senior Silent Operator

Post by gunham »

I think the whole purpose of MythBusters is to keep you from trying this at home. I love the show, but I would bet that 90% of what they say "can't be done" in fact can be done. :shock:

P.S. More Kari. :P
kwin201
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwin201 »

Maser wrote:I love the show no matter what they are testing. I am usually lucky enough to catch the show while they are having a mini marathon. My only complaint is Jamie's stupid looking mustache.
i like his hats
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

I thought the relevance might be we need an episode to test the photo shop nipple xrays. :)

But I don't think they'll cancel the show until after the Harry Potter myths are tested.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

I can't remember the last time I watched it, I lost interest in it a while back.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

Funny replies. Lives up to my stereotypes about the membership here almost to a T. :lol:

It's entertainment guys, get over it. What I like about the show is that it's something I can watch with the 12 year old and that we can talk about. If something the MB team says sounds stupid or wrong we can discuss it and then go research the issue to see what the right answer is. While they may get things wrong and say stupid s--t from time to time, the educational value is in that they at least question things and attempt to have some kind of process.

As I understand it the temp chick is Jessi Combs and I'll take her over that nerd's-wet-dream Kari 8 days a week.
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

*Breathes through teeth*
Derf
Silent But Deadly

Post by Derf »

I agree, i'll take Jessi over Kari
She can rebuild my big block and weld up a new roll cage for my Jeep :lol: