Im interested in joining the millitary

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

kwin201
Silent But Deadly

Im interested in joining the millitary

Post by kwin201 »

and have been for a good portion of my life. I have brought it up with my family and needless to say they did not take it well. They wanted me to try some more schooling before i make this decision. I have been going to school and thought long and hard about this but I would still like to join. I have been looking around millitary.com to see what interests me and were i could best serve but i am still not to sure what branch i would like to join. I am very interested in the special forces aspect of each branch for obviouse reasons but i am wondering if any of you guys have experience or knowledge in the difference in what types of missions i will be participating in depending upon if i choose army, navy, marine ect..

Thank!
Gato
Silent But Deadly

Post by Gato »

Have a back up plan (job) in the event your primary interest fails in whichever branch you choose.

I've seen guys go into specific branches for specific jobs just to be thwarted by test scores, injuries, availibility, etc.

These limitations mean they have to select a different specialty and ride out their contract doing something they never intended to do.

Argumentatively, let's pick the Navy.

If you had a strong desire to be a SEAL, and failed, what else in the Navy would interest you?

Airforce - PJ, then what?

Statistically speaking, the odds are against you when specializing.

Either way, I'll extend a thanks for even considering signing on the dotted line. Get the GI Bill by the way, hell of a return on investment.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

You can take the ASVAP prior to signing up. In this manner you can determine your eligibility for most jobs without committing. This doesn't really apply to some jobs, like SEALS, because the ASVAP alone doesn't mean much insofar as most of the washing out is done at BUDS during the process itself. Even then, a lot of the washing out is due to injury or illness.
poizzin
Silent But Deadly

Post by poizzin »

Pick a career that you want to do, talk to the recruiter about the MOS in the career that you chose. Feel out the openings in that MOS see if available Realize that the recruiter will lie to you! So do your homework, Do not go in Unrated/No MOS you can be stuck with a shitty career path. If you are unsure, try the reserves, you can always go active later!

For Instance - I went in as EOD in the Navy, did not make it, changed path to Aviation Structures Mechanic, cross trained in Hydraulics and Pneumatics, then became In Flight tech to Flight Engineer. Spent entire sea duty in an aircraft.

My career changed but I had a backup plan.
Supressors
AAC - 7
Degroat - 2
AWC - 1
Don Floyd - 1
Tros- 1
HCA- 1
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

Everyone wants to be in special forces. Few people make it into special forces and few have the maturity and physical stamina to make it in elite forces when they first go in. If you want to be a special forces soldier or a ranger or seal or whatever your best bet is to go in as a regular ground pounder and go through training and see if its for you. If after 4 years you re-enlist THEN sign up in the special forces or whatever. You'll have the physical strength, the rank, the maturity and you'll have a good idea if its something you want to make a career out of. Go infantry, get your EIB or CIB and go from there. You can always sign up for extra courses and classes later on. I think signing up for advanced stuff early on as part of the enlistment package is a serious mistake that will not help your military career if you do not make it through the training before you are ready to do so.
Hellrazor
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hellrazor »

YugoRPK wrote:Everyone wants to be in special forces. Few people make it into special forces and few have the maturity and physical stamina to make it in elite forces when they first go in. If you want to be a special forces soldier or a ranger or seal or whatever your best bet is to go in as a regular ground pounder and go through training and see if its for you. If after 4 years you re-enlist THEN sign up in the special forces or whatever. You'll have the physical strength, the rank, the maturity and you'll have a good idea if its something you want to make a career out of. Go infantry, get your EIB or CIB and go from there. You can always sign up for extra courses and classes later on. I think signing up for advanced stuff early on as part of the enlistment package is a serious mistake that will not help your military career if you do not make it through the training before you are ready to do so.
+1
504ranger
Silent But Deadly

Post by 504ranger »

SF now offers the "SF Baby" 18 "X-ray" program again where you can enlist to enter the SF pipeline upon graduation from Basic/AIT/Airborne. Some guys have mixed results with these kids (maturity level, etc) however the SF community will police their own in due time (usually). great way to start, get good education, training, etc. You will be assigne to the JFKSWC school for 18X traning. Another avenue (you can get this in a contract) is the Ranger Regiment. Get a Ranger contract from your recruiter, complete basic, AIT, Airborne then you will be picked up by the cadre from RASP (Ranger Assesment and Selection Program formerly known as Ranger Indoctrination Program RIP) the last day of Airborne school and begin RASP and if successful get assigned to one of the 3 Ranger Battalions or Regimental HQs. Their are a host of support jobs within the SOF community as well so don't rule those out if you have an interest.
Only problem with trying to go to a conventional Army first is many a Soldier has been hosed by his chain of command that has tried to go the SOF route. Additionaly, Ranger Regiment is a big believer in NCOs growing up in the community and while some NCOs transfer to Regiment many don't make it. Given the current situation getting a CIB won't be a problem :lol: . EIB is harder because most people don't have time to do it.

My .2 cents. feel free to disagree.
mhuffman
Silent But Deadly

Post by mhuffman »

I think one must be 20 or 21 for the 18X option. 11X (Ranger) can be straight out of high school. Enlistin with 11X is the BEST thing I ever did. I sometimes wear my EIB since everybody now has a CIB.
504ranger
Silent But Deadly

Post by 504ranger »

Yep. Here you go direct from the SF recruiting webpage:

Be a male, age 20-30 (Special Forces positions are not open to women)
Be a U.S. citizen
Be a high school diploma graduate
Achieve a General Technical score of 107 or higher and a combat operation score of 98 on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery.
Qualify for a secret security clearance.
Qualify and volunteer for Airborne training
Take Defense Language Aptitude Battery or Defense Language Proficiency Test
Achieve a minimum of 60 points on each event and overall minimum score of 229 on the Army Physical Fitness Test
Must successfully complete the Pre-Basic Task list
win912
Silent But Deadly

Post by win912 »

+2 YugoRPK.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

mhuffman wrote:I think one must be 20 or 21 for the 18X option. 11X (Ranger) can be straight out of high school. Enlistin with 11X is the BEST thing I ever did. I sometimes wear my EIB since everybody now has a CIB.
Hey Mike...Whats up with the name change? Get promoted ?
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

It's not like school where you can just quit when you want and try something different, once you sign the contract you are theirs for 8yrs. That is the minimum commitment. Goto any recruiter and take the ASVAB test, they might not offer anything more than truck driver till you know that much no point in the fantasy job.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

David Hineline wrote:It's not like school where you can just quit when you want and try something different, once you sign the contract you are theirs for 8yrs. That is the minimum commitment. Goto any recruiter and take the ASVAB test, they might not offer anything more than truck driver till you know that much no point in the fantasy job.
You can usually change MOS's after your primary active enlistment is over at 4 years in fact a lot of guys are finding their MOS changing for them to 11X based on the needs of the Army. The transition from 11X to SF is the usual route and the Army is well equipped to handle it. SF is for the best and the brightest. Make no mistake about it. If you have doubts whether you are both of those then maybe another job would make you more content.
JustAnotherName
Silent But Deadly

Post by JustAnotherName »

I'll tell you what I tell every that thinks about. Generally, when deciding what job to pick one must ask themselves three thing. What am I good at? What is it that I like to do? What am I passionate about?

Figure out which of these can you leverage best in the military. That will help make your job that you get not suck. Second of those jobs that you listed, figure out what strengths and weakness you have that will effect performance.

Then decide which branch you want to be apart of. Some people join the Marines just because they want to be apart of the few, some join the navy to see the world, Air force because going to the field sucks, and Army because they don't like Marines. What ever the case is, you better start interviewing people to figure out where you think you may belong.

I personally spent 8 years in the corps. PM me if you want to hear from my experience or have questions. I'll be free by tomorrow afternoon, after my last final.
I heart waterboarding.
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

If you take the ASVAB and get a good score, the recruiter might encourage you to take the NFQT or nuclear field qualification exam. It is a field open to electricians, electronic techs and machinist mates. The schooling is demanding and the civilian community respects those who make it through when those Sailors get out and look for work. The qualification and enlistment bonuses are high, up to $100,000 for some.

There is a good reason for these incentives. Nukes (as they are called) get to the ship first, leave last, usually do more work than others, are held to higher disciplinary standards and have hot noisy working conditions. Most of them do not re-enlist. There is also a saying, "nukes need not apply". While the SEALs will accept people from many rates, the nukes are not allowed to apply for BUD/S because there is a shortage of them, there has been for the last 40 years.

If you enlist in the Navy and want adventure, make sure you stay out of the nuclear power field. The only way to get out of this field is to fail academically, disciplinary drops or medical. All of these (except a few lucky academic drops) will disqualify someone from the SEALs. If you want an education and good power plant experience, then nuclear power is a decent option.

Go to college, get a degree, join the ROTC and get a commission as an officer. They need officers to lead the Seals and other special forces too. Free advice from a 20 year enlisted nuclear machinist mate stationed on four submarines.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
kwin201
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwin201 »

thanks for all the input guys, theres some things brought up that i didnt even think about. What is the difference between Army and Marine? Marines are first to fight. Does this mean i have a much better chance of seeing combat then if i joined the Army? Would becoming a ranger increase my chances of seeing combat?

I was always on the chunky side as a kid and would hate to run but took karate and started competitivly swimming, although it didnt help with my weight to much it kept me active and sort of in shape

today im 5 foot 9 and 145 lbs. I stopped swimming in highschool but am a still a very strong swimmer. I have broken my fear of running and now run 2 miles a day on top of lighting weights, i have read and understand what each field requires of me so i am beggining to follow an exercise plan from millitary.com, i am more confident than ever physically and believe i have the mental and physical strength to overcome any obstacle presented to me

Although swimming might be my strongest suit the idea of spending most of my time on a boat does not thrill me. It would not be the end of the world but i dont want to be working on the boat or steering it ect.. I am joining the millitary in the hopes of getting on the field and seeing combat.

I will be pming justanothername, but is what he says generally accurate, Navy to see the world, Airforce to stay clean, army and marine is preference? This is a little more of what i was looking for but really anything helps. Thanks!
kwin201
Silent But Deadly

Post by kwin201 »

hmm ranb is there any way i could do rotc while in school and still become an officer? The marine recon also says i need to be enlisted for four years and be an officer, is the only way to do that is complete my education then enlist?
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

I never heard of any enlisted term requirement to be a Marine officer. I think whatever recruiter told you that is blowing smoke, unless he was speaking of those who enter an ROTC program as an enlisted person and retain their enlisted paygrade. Some Marine officers enter the USMC directly out of the Naval Academy.

Look here for ROTC info. Some ROTC is just a college class the first two years with no service obligation. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROTC#History_of_U.S._ROTC

Take a look at the physical requirements to be a SEAL, then make sure you can meet them, repeatedly. Some people who are otherwise qualified fail the eye exam.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
504ranger
Silent But Deadly

Post by 504ranger »

Know that while you may get one MOS you can change i.e go SF assuming you meet the qualifications. Like I said before there are PLENTY of jobs as a support personnel for Special Operations Forces so even if you were to get truck driver you may as well be a truck driver with the best. Don't accept what a recruiter tells you as truth about whats available if you know in your heart you want something else (unless you don't qualify for it).
Also don't believe the Marines are the first ones into a fight either (at least not in recent conflicts) :lol:
Sorry could't resist some inter-service rivalry.
ROTC is a great option if you want to be an officer and so is the Green to Gold program as well.
OCS is a great option too.
Another piece of advice is read EVERYTHING you can on what interests you.

Feel free to pm me if you want an Army perspective.
Last edited by 504ranger on Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mhuffman
Silent But Deadly

Post by mhuffman »

YugoRPK wrote:
mhuffman wrote:I think one must be 20 or 21 for the 18X option. 11X (Ranger) can be straight out of high school. Enlistin with 11X is the BEST thing I ever did. I sometimes wear my EIB since everybody now has a CIB.
Hey Mike...Whats up with the name change? Get promoted ?
I started to think RangerAv8r was ghey.
mhuffman
Silent But Deadly

Post by mhuffman »

IF you enlist with 11X AND you pass Airborne and RIP you will go to one of the three BNs and you WILL get in the fight.
CDAT
Silent But Deadly

Post by CDAT »

I have never been in the special group, but I am also not part of the big Army, I am EOD. We had a bunch of baby SF guys who did not make it join us, so like they were saying just make sure that you have a back up plan, you mgiht also want to ask if you join up for baby SF and get hurt or whatever what are you options? Years ago when I did some home town recruting one of the things that we told people that were looking to join was if the job that you want is full wait it will open latter. I would also say if they are trying to push you in to some thing that you do not want to do leave and come back latter talk to some one else as they have to get so many in each month. They do not have you best intrest at heart, you would hope that they want to put people where they will be happy and all that but do not risk you future on it, you have to take care of your own. There are also some options if you go to collage you can do ROTC but may not be able to do all jobs. If you do ROTC you can do it as NPS or join the Guard or Reserves and do what they call SMP, where you will go to drill with your unit and act as an officer but be paid as an NCO tell you graduate and become an Officer.
MicroGuy
Silent But Deadly

Post by MicroGuy »

Yeah, as I understood from several of my friends years ago, the recruiter will tell you ANYthing, and promise you ANYthing, to sign up.

They're not held to anything. They can get away with it. Not sure if it's a big of problem as it used to be. But be sure that you get EVERYTHING in writing.

You wouldn't walk into a job blindfolded with no solid contract about what you're doing/getting. So why would this be any different??

If you can't get what you want right off, see if there's something that can be applied to what you do want later. Like say you wanted something in electronics, but it's not available. Get something in computers that will apply to electronics (or vicesa versa....)

Exp. Don't go for electronics in the Air Force, but settle for a bubble pusher (landing gear tech) until it opens.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

2 miles a day running won't even get you started in the Marines. 5 each day would be the norm, in her MOS school they would have 10mile motivational runs then do PT in the sewage treatment pits to cool down. My daughter now thinks of a 10mile run as 3 short 3 miles runs put together. You will need to learn to puke without stopping your run. Any of the Special Groups would be on top of the regular PT requirements.

Google the Marine crucible to find out what your final test in becoming a Marine will be. A girl can pass that but a girl can not become Recon so if you can't keep up with a girl there is no point in thinking about special teams.

Goto Youtube.com and put in Marine CFT you will be required to do this once per year and a regular PFT the other time in the year, for promotion in the Marines it will be your rifle qualifiaction score, your physical test scores then other things. My daughter just qualified Expert for the second time and this was the first time with the ACOG
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
Cheetah
Silent But Deadly

Post by Cheetah »

David Hineline wrote:My daughter just qualified Expert for the second time and this was the first time with the ACOG
Heh, I hate qualifying with the ACOGs...I miss doing the range with irons.

Anyway, aside from "do this, don't do this." or any other advice specific to jobs, one very important step that I cannot stress enough is to talk it over with your family. Chances are that they won't take it well, I find it hard to believe many parents would take it worse than mine did haha. In the end, the choice is yours to make and not up to anyone else, but do bring it up with your folks, girlfriend, etc. Let them know you're serious about it, ask them if they'd like to go talk to the recruiter with you. Warn your recruiter that your mom doesn't want to let you go and she's coming in to make things awkward, your recruiter's been to school on how to deal with angry parents. My recruiter told me a couple years after I was in that my parents were the only ones to ever actually frighten him haha.

I mentioned enlisting multiple times to my parents, when I asked them to talk to a recruiter with me, they yelled at me and didn't even talk to ME for a couple of days. I enlisted without even telling my best friend and dropped that bomb about a week and a half before I left for boot camp. NOT the way to do it if you have any concern for other people's feelings.