Bullet that killed boy was from AK-47??

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

I don't know. I have no idea what the vernacular is for a semi-auto AK-47. My gut tells me that the term they are using is chosen for sensationalism. The odds are that the 7.62x39 came from an AK style weapon (either NFA or not), but they don't know that. They said what they said because "AK-47" makes for stronger conversation fodder.
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

rsilvers wrote:I am being difficult because while I have a problem with calling a semi auto AK an assault rifle, I don't have a problem with calling a semi auto AK an AK.

But yes, I would never call a semi auto AR15 or even a fully-auto AR15 an M16.

So the question is - am I just wrong and should re-adjust my thinking, or can I keep on calling my semi auto AKs AKs?

I feel like the anti-gunners are forcing me to adjust my loose terminology. I have relied on context rather than words to convey that a semi auto AK is different than a fully auto AK and suddenly I have to be more precise.

If a semi-auto AK is not an AK, what is it?
A semi-auto AK is still an AK to me. The manufacturers that make them still call them AKs right? There isn't another name for them that I know. I agree with you but I see your point about ARs and M16s.
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

If I pulled a 7.62x39 0.311 125 grain bullet from someone I would think "It probably came from an AK-47."

I would assume it a semi auto one because they are far more common. It could have been a bolt action but probably was not.

In this case I am not assuming they are sensationalizing as they have seen the bullet and I bet 99% of those bullets come from semi auto AKs.

It seems the people who are objecting would be happier if they had said "It was a 7.62x39 bullet, probably from a semi auto AK."
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

rsilvers wrote:I am being difficult because while I have a problem with calling a semi auto AK an assault rifle, I don't have a problem with calling a semi auto AK an AK.

So the question is - am I just wrong and should re-adjust my thinking, or can I keep on calling my semi auto AKs AKs?
"A" in "AK" translates to "automatic". So calling a semi-auto a "AK" seems silly to me. They should call it an "SK".

I prefer to just call them "K" guns, thus an umbrella term for all variants.

AR-15 is different, since the OEM really did make F/A & S/A AR-15s. As well as M4s.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

renegade wrote:

"A" in "AK" translates to "automatic". So calling a semi-auto a "AK" seems silly to me. They should call it an "SK".

I prefer to just call them "K" guns, thus an umbrella term for all variants.

AR-15 is different, since the OEM really did make F/A & S/A AR-15s. As well as M4s.

The A is more of an "automatic feeding" than "full automatic functioning machinegun". There are factory combloc semi auto only AK's. M76 countersniper and Romanian FPK come to mind.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

YugoRPK wrote:
The A is more of an "automatic feeding" than "full automatic functioning machinegun". There are factory combloc semi auto only AK's. M76 countersniper and Romanian FPK come to mind.
That term is called "self-loading" - Samozaryadniy
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Automatic often means automatic loading.

Hence Colt 1911 Automatic pistol.

The fully or semi prefix is a modifier to it being autoloading.

So you could have an full automatic or semi automatic Avtomat Kalashnikova.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

In the case of the SKS that is true but the fact still remains there are more factory combloc semi auto only AK's than there are full auto AR-15's.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

I understand its use in English - 1911 as Robert explained.

I got my differentiation for the Russian terms from the Central Army Museum in Moscow.

I note the Germans also use "S" for self-loading - USP, for example. Don't speak German, so do not know what "S" comes from. Could google...
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

YugoRPK wrote:In the case of the SKS that is true but the fact still remains there are more factory combloc semi auto only AK's than there are full auto AR-15's.
I have never seen a S/A AK anywhere but the US. Are these military issue, or commercial?
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

renegade wrote:
YugoRPK wrote:In the case of the SKS that is true but the fact still remains there are more factory combloc semi auto only AK's than there are full auto AR-15's.
I have never seen a S/A AK anywhere but the US. Are these military issue, or commercial?
Military issue. Pretty much all of the combloc full power squad sniper rifle AK's are semiauto only. They still use a safety sear and as such our ATF would call them machineguns but they function in semiautomatic mode only.

jppd47
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by jppd47 »

TROOPER wrote: Joking aside, I'd love it if it miraculously turned out to be a bolt-action. For whatever reason the concept a shooting a scoped bolt-action up into the air for celebration reasons is funny to me. Do you even aim? I have a 4.5-14 on my .17 HMR, do I aim at a particular astral body? I don't even think it would matter since my .17 is zeroed at 100 yards and not 2 million light years. I'll never be able to hit an astral body because of that. What's the hold-over for 2 million light years anyway? The only wind is in our atmosphere, so I'll hold 2 inches to the left, and seventy-eight billion miles high.
Pretty funny, sometimes before Fast-Movers drop some 500s they will do super-sonic fly overs, and you can see through your NODs the glow of RPGs arching through the sky....
pro-gun gun owners are a minority.
Fair Use applies (U.S. Code Title 17 Chapter 1 Subsection 107)
Fallschirmjaager
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fallschirmjaager »

It doesn't say anywhere in the article that it was a 7.62x39mm round, or even that it was .30 caliber. The only quote is the guess that it was an AK. Could have been just about anything then, maybe it was a scoped bolt action in .243 Winchester. AK just generates a better media response.
I live in the weak and the wounded... Doc...
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

I have been at parties where people fired into the air in CT. Ghetto parties, dawg! The kind where I was too paranoid because of people doing s--t like that to have any fun. People are stupid.

Edited because it could have been misread to think that I shot with them.