USA Swim Coaches Taped & Molested Dozens of Teen Girls

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

Hush
Silent But Deadly

USA Swim Coaches Taped & Molested Dozens of Teen Girls

Post by Hush »

ABC News: In a sex abuse scandal that some victims compare to what happened in the Catholic Church, at least 36 swimming coaches have been banned for life by the USA Swimming organization over the last 10 years because of sexual misconduct with teenagers they coached.

http://www.breitbart.tv/abc-news-invest ... een-girls/

Here's a long article if your interested.
http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/abc-news- ... 469&page=1
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

33 years for a bunch or titty pics seems extreme.
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

Reading that article it's interesting to see the circle of blame. The one old molester's lawyer blames the parents, the parents blame the deep pockets USA Swimming, the USAS blames the local clubs, the local clubs blame the molester...

I have to say, of all those involved I think USA Swimming is the least to blame. It sounds like they are nothing more than a certifying body as to ability and competency not suitability. If I were a parent of one of these kids I'd be appalled that the local club didn't take 30 minutes to check the references on a new coach they were bringing in. but then a local swimming club probably isn't as sue-worthy as a national organization with ties to the Olympics.

I wonder what the percentage of molester's is in general society. USAS says they have had 36 molesters banned out of 12,000 coaches in ten years. IMHO you have to figure if there are 36 banned there are ten times that number (at least) in actuality, so that's 360 pedaverts. Three percent seems high to me vs. regular population.

I'm also not a shrink, but I wonder how many of these guys would function fine in regular society and never exhibit any behaviors but who are subconsciously drawn to that job and then tempted to act by the high concentration of potential victims coupled with a hell of a lot of opportunity.
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

rob_s wrote:
I wonder what the percentage of molester's is in general society. USAS says they have had 36 molesters banned out of 12,000 coaches in ten years. IMHO you have to figure if there are 36 banned there are ten times that number (at least) in actuality, so that's 360 pedaverts. Three percent seems high to me vs. regular population.
Certain professions will attract people like that.
"You'll put yer eye out with that thing"

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp
Russian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Russian »

Very true. Sexual predators often seek jobs that put them in close contact with their victims (teachers, coaches, daycare workers, etc.). Unless USA Swim was shuffling pedophiles from community to community and covering up their crimes, I think the comparison to the Catholic Church scandal is grossly inaccurate. When USA Swim identified a predator, they banned them for life.

The other issue is that pedophiles don't advertize their mental illness. They know they're scum and they hide their sick thoughts. Unless someone at the pool has pedo-radar, the predators won't be discovered until it's too late. At best, USA Swim can respond to reports of inappropriate behavior after the fact and take action. That's what they seem to be doing.
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Post by JohnnyC »

I'm surprised this doesn't happen in USA Gymnastics. There are definitely some creepers in that sport.
Russian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Russian »

There have been allegations of physical and mental abuse of female gymnasts for decades. Bela Karolyi (Mary Lou Retton's coach and the 1996 US Women's Olympic gymnastics coach) has been accused of forcing athletes to work out when injured, starving them on the road and psychologically abusing them. Some of his Romanian athletes have even accused him and his wife of beating them. Still, he's never been accused of sexual misconduct and he wins medals. A lot of medals.

I'm not saying there are no pedophiles in gymnastics, but they seem to be outnumbered by sadists and control freaks.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Can it be said that if you give someone control or power over another that in time they will grow to enjoy that control or power to the point of abuse?
I think over time its entirely possible.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
ccetex

Post by ccetex »

stevejobs wrote:33 years for a bunch or titty pics seems extreme.
What if it was your daughter or sister it those pics?
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

ccetex wrote:

Then I'd knock the guys teeth out with a rake. 33 years is ridiculous. Murderers and rapists get less time.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

ccetex wrote:
What if it was your mom. :shock:
ccetex

Post by ccetex »

stevejobs wrote:
ccetex wrote:
Then they should give him life in a mental institute if he wants pictures of my mom!! :shock: :lol: :lol:
silverbulletexpress
Silent But Deadly

Post by silverbulletexpress »

ccetex wrote:
stevejobs wrote:
ccetex wrote: What if it was your daughter or sister it those pics?
Then they should give him life in a mental institute if he wants pictures of my mom!! :shock: :lol: :lol:
FTW..
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, 1785
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

So.... do we get to see her naked or not?
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

ThePatriot wrote:So.... do we get to see her naked or not?
What angle do you want?
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

This thread turned barfcom real fast.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

Watched the interview.

Two things,

A) USA Swimming doesn't hire the coaches, they perform a criminal background check and after being on ABC, their requirements will only become more strict.

B) 36 people out of 12,000 is .003% I bet the sexual misconduct among teachers is higher per capita.

But that's the people they've only caught, it sounds like the reporter is looking to blame that head coach for what happened, honestly.

Asking him has he apologized to them? I understand the sentiment, but it just seemed like he wanted to say "F--k you" really bad to him.

I think what we're seeing come more and more to light is that this crap has been going on for years, but it's coming to light, in education, sports, etc.

Maybe we should start the death penalty back up for serial sexual predators.

(I almost said rape, but there's been so many guys convicted wrongly of rape and that accusation is thrown out there so much, it's insane.)