Incredible WWII photographs

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

MicroGuy
Silent But Deadly

Incredible WWII photographs

Post by MicroGuy »

Some really good photographs. Mostly all Pacific stuff. Would like to see that movie too, if it's anything like BOB, it'll be great.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/captured/20 ... -theaters/
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville
MicroGuy
Silent But Deadly

Post by MicroGuy »

There are two other photo pages there also down at the bottom in case you didn't see them. Vietnam and D-Day.
"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money." Alexis de Tocqueville
WhisperFan
Silent But Deadly

Post by WhisperFan »

When people talk about the "Old Corps" .... that's pretty much what they mean

Semper Fi Marines
As nightfall does not come all at once, neither does oppression. In both instances, there is a twilight when everything remains seemingly unchanged. And it is in such a twilight that we all must be aware of change in the air -- however slight -- lest we become unwilling victims of the darkness.
Justice William O. Douglas
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Never forget.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
The_Kid

Post by The_Kid »

amazing photos.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

The Japs ever have to publicly apologize to us? They openly admit they attacked us just so they could take over the world?
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Twinsen wrote:The Japs ever have to publicly apologize to us? They openly admit they attacked us just so they could take over the world?
There are those that believe the US eastern pacific involvement in blockading Japanese raw material shipping traffic had something to do with the attack on Pearl.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Wow, what must it have been like at the time to be there and experience that?
-----
Ick
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

continuity wrote:
Twinsen wrote:The Japs ever have to publicly apologize to us? They openly admit they attacked us just so they could take over the world?
There are those that believe the US eastern pacific involvement in blockading Japanese raw material shipping traffic had something to do with the attack on Pearl.
The more I know.
MicroGuy
Silent But Deadly

Post by MicroGuy »

continuity wrote:
I read a really good book about it all, that pretty much explains it all very clearly.

In the end, they were only doing what they thought we were doing. Remember, at the time, the East wanted everything like the West, they ate it up, dress, mannerisms etc...

They saw what they thought (and may have been right), signs of American imperialism. And also thought we were snapping up the pacific islands. So they were only going after "their share."

We basically told them they can't do that. It's OK for us, but not for you.

That pissed 'em off and from there things went from bad to worse.

Makes perfect sense when you read the book. Sorry I don't recall the name.

What struck me in some of the photos was the density of the jungles. I'd hate to fight in something like that.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

As I look at these pictures it makes me wonder if any of them might have been my uncles. Two of them fought in Guadalcanal.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

If your interested in the history of what lead up to the war to Japan go to http://www.u-s-history.com/pages/h1661.html
There are many people at that time who also believe Roosevelt wanted war and ordered a small boat into Japanese waters to agitate Japan trying to start a war, one now defunct out door magazine had the story and the name of the boat involved, its hard to find information on this story without knowing the name of the boat, which is long forgotten on my part but maybe someone else here remembers it.
silverbulletexpress
Silent But Deadly

Post by silverbulletexpress »

MicroGuy wrote:
continuity wrote:
I read a really good book about it all, that pretty much explains it all very clearly.

In the end, they were only doing what they thought we were doing. Remember, at the time, the East wanted everything like the West, they ate it up, dress, mannerisms etc...

They saw what they thought (and may have been right), signs of American imperialism. And also thought we were snapping up the pacific islands. So they were only going after "their share."

We basically told them they can't do that. It's OK for us, but not for you.

That pissed 'em off and from there things went from bad to worse.

Makes perfect sense when you read the book. Sorry I don't recall the name.

What struck me in some of the photos was the density of the jungles. I'd hate to fight in something like that.
Micro Guy I respectfully recommend you read some other books as well. That one sounds like it was written from a revisionist point of view to say the least. It reminds be of the books that now say we were wrong to drop the bombs and end the war early. Anyway at the time Japan was on a rampage. They were worried that we would stop them from getting the oil they needed to continue their wars so they gambled on attacking Pearl and lost.

RE Roosevelt wanting to start a war and sending a ship for sacrifice, those are those who believe Bush sent those planes into the twin towers too. Sixty years from now people will read those books and wonder.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, 1785
rjs1000
Silent But Deadly

Post by rjs1000 »

Are you ever gonna say anything stupid?
Robert
Tyris
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tyris »

silverbulletexpress wrote:
RE Roosevelt wanting to start a war and sending a ship for sacrifice, those are those who believe Bush sent those planes into the twin towers too. Sixty years from now people will read those books and wonder.
Not commenting directly on WW2 or twin towers, but the US has conducted or been complicit in false flag attacks to start s--t.

USS liberty and gulf of tonkin spring to mind.

-T
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Re:

Post by Twinsen »

rjs1000 wrote:
Are you ever gonna say anything stupid?
I try to keep it under several thousand times a day.
Russian
Silent But Deadly

Re:

Post by Russian »

xx
Last edited by Russian on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tyris
Silent But Deadly

Re: Re:

Post by Tyris »

Russian wrote:
Tyris wrote:Not commenting directly on WW2 or twin towers, but the US has conducted or been complicit in false flag attacks to start s--t.

USS liberty and gulf of tonkin spring to mind.

-T
How is the USS Liberty a false flag? Are you suggesting the US was trying to proke war with Israel during the 6 Day War? I've heard a few theories on what happened, but never anything like that.
No, it was supposed to look like Egypt was the dirty party. Problem was that a soviet boat saw what was happening.

-T
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Re: Incredible WWII photographs

Post by Hush »

I had a hard time getting to sleep last night so I watched a program about the 10th Mtn. division, it was interesting with them learning to fight in ice and snow with temps around minus 35 degrees or so.
They first saw action against the japs on some islands near Alaska, they didn't know the japs pulled out and they wound up fighting themselves in heavy fog, 18 died, after that they gave a good showing of themselves in the mountains of Italy.
MicroGuy
Silent But Deadly

Re:

Post by MicroGuy »

silverbulletexpress wrote:
Micro Guy I respectfully recommend you read some other books as well. That one sounds like it was written from a revisionist point of view to say the least. It reminds be of the books that now say we were wrong to drop the bombs and end the war early. Anyway at the time Japan was on a rampage. They were worried that we would stop them from getting the oil they needed to continue their wars so they gambled on attacking Pearl and lost.

I think you have mis-read, or misunderstood what I wrote, or at least the timeline I was talking about. I've read other books, and that one didn't "revise" anything. It simply gave an underlying, pre-war, mentality about the whole aspect. That's WHY they were after oil basically, they were expanding their Empire, just as they thought we were trying to do.

It's not like the sole reason for the war, it's sort of one of many lines leading up to the war.

If you look at the history of Japan, after the isolation had been broken, they were fascinated by and wanted all things "western." They changed from a more traditional dress to a style more western. Started acting more western, etc....

They looked at us, and saw Hawaii and the Philippines and a few other places, and wrongly assumed we were expanding our "empire" as England done year before in places such as the middle east and India. They saw that and said to themselves (basically) "Hey, we can do that too!"

So they started expanding. But they knew there would be a problem in doing so. The US wouldn't just stand by and watch them. And that created some resentment (another facet). Why can the US do it, But they can't?

There's nothing revisionist about it. Just another mind set, among several, for doing what they were doing.