Astronomer fears apocalypse 2012 is true

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

urban assault
Silent But Deadly

Re: Astronomer fears apocalypse 2012 is true

Post by urban assault »

The extremely simple chart below will quickly illustrate thru the use of hard science to all concerned with the much talked debate about the Mayan prophesy of 2012 that OUR SHITE IS RITE AND TRULY FOOKED AND WE'RE ALL GOONA DIE!

:shock:
:lol:

-urban
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

mudshark wrote:I think the reason the Mayan calender stops on 12-21-12 is because the guy responsible for calulating the calenders back then died unexpectedly, and didn't have a trained understudy. So the calender stopped.

Not very dramatic, but s--t happens.
Or it's like Y2K. People thought nobody would be using that code 20 years later.
"I'm not afraid of dying. I's HOW I die that I'm concerned about." - Crosshair

"Beware the man with one gun. He probably doesn't know how to use it."
homemade
Silent Operator

Post by homemade »

cal wrote:So I don't have to pay taxes anymore right?

First thing I'm gonna do is start a place called Bartertown where there thunderdome exists. Two men enter one man leaves.
hahahahahaha! :twisted:
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/17390/210904

http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-man-passionate-defender-of-what-he-imagines-c,2849/

love everyone, even your enemy.
homemade
Silent Operator

Post by homemade »

Crosshair wrote:
brianb wrote:I was under the impression that an EMP would fry delicate electronics. Not necessarily coils. I could see the control circuits for the transformer being fried, but the "big" part that's months to replace would likely still be intact. Getting it back up would still be a challenge. But you probably wouldn't have to throw the whole thing away.
Nope, It's the big coils that will be fried. Thousands of miles of wire and a massive magnetic storm will setup massive high voltage/high amperage power surges that will cause the large transformers to arc internally and be irreparably damaged.

EMP affects equipment with long lengths of conductor. Like a power grid or a railroad track. Your iPod or solar panel will be undamaged.
I always thought that it effected transistors and the like? not sure why, but I always understood that was one reason why the soviets kept using miniature vacuum tubes in the controls for their important stuff like planes and missiles and such. Could be wrong, thought.

is there no shielding that can be placed on important items to protect from EMP? I thought our military had ways to protect sensitive electronics from this so that if someone detonates a nuke above their operation they can still retaliate.
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/17390/210904

http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-man-passionate-defender-of-what-he-imagines-c,2849/

love everyone, even your enemy.
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

homemade wrote:I always thought that it effected transistors and the like? not sure why, but I always understood that was one reason why the soviets kept using miniature vacuum tubes in the controls for their important stuff like planes and missiles and such. Could be wrong, thought.
It can effect them by setting up power surges in the lengths of wire in an aircraft and missile. Those systems also had to deal with the real possibility of dealing with nearby nuclear explosions and direct exposure to high doses of gamma radiation. That and at the time shielding and isolation were primitive vs today Transistors probably could have done those jobs, but vacuum tubes were more proven.
is there no shielding that can be placed on important items to protect from EMP? I thought our military had ways to protect sensitive electronics from this so that if someone detonates a nuke above their operation they can still retaliate.
Oh sure you can shield things like radios and electronics to the point that most will at worst malfunction and only a few will fail. The main problem is the power grid. No way to isolate that and have a functioning grid.
"I'm not afraid of dying. I's HOW I die that I'm concerned about." - Crosshair

"Beware the man with one gun. He probably doesn't know how to use it."
phoenix
Silent But Deadly

Post by phoenix »

the myan calander went to 2012, because they were in like 1400bc or something. who of us here has a calendar for year 4096?

i could find out exactly when they exsisted, but i couldnt be bothered.
-Kyle

JHS27275: "When you throw down the gauntlet, don't be surprised if someone picks it up and slaps the s--t out of you with it."
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

phoenix wrote:the myan calander went to 2012, because they were in like 1400bc or something. who of us here has a calendar for year 4096?

i could find out exactly when they exsisted, but i couldnt be bothered.
I've got one. Seriously, it's called a perpetual calander. It doesn't really run out that far - it's just adaptable year to year. They've been around a very long time and are kinda cool. You can easily tell someone what day they were born on by running it backwords.
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

L1A1Rocker wrote:I've got one. Seriously, it's called a perpetual calander. It doesn't really run out that far - it's just adaptable year to year. They've been around a very long time and are kinda cool. You can easily tell someone what day they were born on by running it backwords.
Apple's iCal

Mayan Mathematician: "woah, this s--t goes past 2012!"
phoenix
Silent But Deadly

Post by phoenix »

i knew someone would apply the perpetual calendar.
-Kyle

JHS27275: "When you throw down the gauntlet, don't be surprised if someone picks it up and slaps the s--t out of you with it."
Paledaddy
Elite Member

Post by Paledaddy »

It's gona be like 1999 and the new year, ppl stampeding at Walmart buying everything they can grab, also building alot of super duper shelters and s--t :D...

I was sitting at home laughing my ass of when watching CNN and all the scared rednecks...

Pd
[b]Bas Rutten[/b] [quote]" I'm sorry Sir..... BANG ! BANG ! BANG !... No I'm not. "[/quote]