NIA Projects Future U.S. Food Price Increases

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

Hush
Silent But Deadly

NIA Projects Future U.S. Food Price Increases

Post by Hush »

Go out and buy some diapers before you read this article cause you are going to s--t.

http://www.inflation.us/foodpriceprojections.html

" it will soon cost $11.43 for one ear of corn, $23.05 for a 24 oz loaf of wheat bread, $62.21 for a 32 oz package of Domino Granulated Sugar, $24.31 for a 32 fl oz container of soy milk, $77.71 for a 11.30 oz container of Folgers Classic Roast Coffee, etc."
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Re: NIA Projects Future U.S. Food Price Increases

Post by Hush »

If that isn't enough watch the video's.

If the prices really go up that high I expect a free for all revolution.
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

But the government says there's no inflation........ :roll:
"I'm not afraid of dying. I's HOW I die that I'm concerned about." - Crosshair

"Beware the man with one gun. He probably doesn't know how to use it."
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Buy A LOT of toilet paper while it still is on the shelves. You are going to need it what with eating a regular diet of tree bark and dirt.
-----
Ick
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

ick wrote:Buy A LOT of toilet paper while it still is on the shelves. You are going to need it what with eating a regular diet of tree bark and dirt.
Ah, fingers don't wear out. Just clip the nails short. :mrgreen:

I know you like charts Ick, did you take a gander at them?

Well the Indian ate dog meat, I don't see why I can't, how do they prepare it in China?

I guess this is why the Caliph left the country. :roll:
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

I have been worrying about this for some time now. Now I am getting really concerned. You don't see reporting of anything this bad till right before it happens. I am so happy I live nowhere near a big city. They will burn... Food will just be the start. If this is as bad as what some people are saying, it will bring Marshal Law. Get ready boys and girls, a storm is comming.

Jk
Some of my work. www.jkknives.com
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

So what would y'all do to prepare, without going overboard?
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

I took something simple that we all eat. Breakfast usually consists of oatmeal. I have twin 2.5 year old girls, so they don't eat much yet. It took the 4 of us 2 weeks to go through one of the large containers of Quaker Oats. So I know about how long that will last and I buy at least 1 container for each as a base. I also have many boxes of dry cereal. Rice (enriched rice) is cheap and easy to store and is somewhat nutritious and filling. Peanut Butter is great to have on hand. Tastes good and has protein. Cans of stuff you eat. I have some Dinty More, but I want to get more. Extra water is a good idea, but for right now that is not a high priority. Try to think in meals. My wife makes a pumpkin soup which every ingredient can be stored long term unrefrigerated. Ramin works. Alot of this stuff has quiet a bit of sodium in it though. Store what you eat and just rotate it out. I know rice may get old, but not eating is worse. Lots of extra spices is nice too. I have a list of stuff that I am going to get over the next few week. None of this may happen, but I would rather have extra stuff that I know I will use than worry how I am going to feed my two girls. I have enough ammo for a life time, so I can protect what I got.

Jk
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

Inflation.us is a scam with a hidden agenda.

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that there will always be inflation (because our monetary system needs it to survive), and that inflation is going to be worse in the next few years than it has been in recent history.

Stocking up on the non-perishable supplies that you will need in the future is a sure thing.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

stevejobs wrote:So what would y'all do to prepare, without going overboard?
Be prepared and then get twice as much. I get called a hoarder by family members but if this all shakes out they will be apologizing before every meal.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

smcharchan wrote:Inflation.us is a scam with a hidden agenda.

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that there will always be inflation (because our monetary system needs it to survive), and that inflation is going to be worse in the next few years than it has been in recent history.

Stocking up on the non-perishable supplies that you will need in the future is a sure thing.
Actually I would tend to agree with this, I was never comfortable with the presentation on their videos with the music and language... but they do make some good points.

What is their hidden agenda? I hadn't heard anyone make that kind of statement about them before and wondered what you think it is? Sounds like you have some pretty specific information. Would love a peek behind the NIA curtain.

As for inflation I would agree. Reports I have read indicate consumer prices are going up quite a bit (running 10%?)... and that is not just using the Glenn Beck program from last week as my source of info. It seems to me that one of the better investments are goods you KNOW you are going to use eventually, especially things that don't degrade. Not sure that there will ever come a time when you can't get toilet paper... it just might be twice the price. As such I stocked up on Tide, toilet paper, paper towels, etc. I also purchased about a year's worth of soup... but you have to watch canned items over a long period of time, that can be not so good.

Where can you get 10% return today? I am betting you can on toilet paper, lol.

Besides, I HATE shopping. The idea of buying as much in groceries as possible in one swoop has a certain appeal to me.

I spend about $100 a week on groceries. If half of that is "non-perishable" items that is nearly $3,000 I can spend today to save me $300+ over the next year. You guys with families are looking at a MUCH bigger number. Just wonder if you have a place to store it?
-----
Ick
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

This really belongs in the survival sub forum but here is as good as anywhere.

Our take on canned foods.
- Buy cheap. I can get 3 cans of value time brand vegetables for the cost of one of the name brands. There are those that won't eat soup if it isn't Campbells. Well after 3 days of hunger most of them will eat shoe leather. No name brands aren't as bad as many would lead you to think.
- Shop around. Typically WalMart canned foods are more than most store brands. Not always the case though. Hence shopping around. They do have the best price on peanut butter from what I've seen.
- Look at expiration dates. I've been bitten by short shelf life before. It happens.
- Label your cans. When we get home from the store we get out the labels and put one on the front of every can.
- Storage. We have several shelf units that we use for rotating through cans of food. When it gets within 6 months or so of going out of date it is moved to the use first shelf.
- Canned meats have long shelf lives. Current dates for corned beef, salmon, regular beef are running well in to 2015 from what I've seen.

Other foods.
- Look for specials on dried beans. A year ago I used to pay under $2.00 for 4 lbs of dried pinto beans. They are now $2.69. A few weeks ago the store was clearing out another brand for $1.60 for 4 lbs. I bought them all.
- Pound for pound macaroni is a better value than other variations. If you find something cheaper than by all means get it. Off brands are good as well. How hard is it to mess up pasta?
- Rice. Although certain family members bitch about the lack of nutrition in rice, it is a filling and can be mixed with just about anything else be it meat, vegetable or fruit. We buy 50 Lb bags for $20.00 or so and split it into 1 lb ziploc bags that get put into 5 gallon buckets with a seal-able lid. You can always dry out salt in the oven and put it into brown lunch bags to draw out any additional moisture.
- Oatmeal. The price of generic oatmeal has been steadily climbing. We have also stored a lot of oatmeal similar to rice. If it is dry and bug free then it will keep for a long time.

The best thing that I ever did was buy the mason jar lid attachments for a food saver. Combined with a high quality vacuum pump I have a way of getting 95% of air out of mason jars. It doesn't work on perishable foods but you can vacuum seal dried foods in mason jars very easily. We've vacuum sealed a lot of flour into 1/2 gallon mason jars. The stuff will last until the cows come home. Dried milk. Potato flakes. Baking powder. Baking soda.

A warning about vacuum sealing. I sealed up some self rising corn meal. It was at 95% vacuum when I stored it. Unfortunately there was a slight amount of moisture in the corn which over time activated the self rising nature of the baking powder. I noticed the lids were bulged up a bit and took the ring off to see what was happening. The mason lid was still secure due to the strong nature of the seal. When I pried on it, the gas that was permeated through the powder inside released sending a mild blast of corn meal all over me and the surrounding kitchen. It was a WTF moment for my wife. The picture of me covered head to toe are priceless.

Along with food don't forget water. You have to get water to survive. I am hoping to convert my well over to solar power and then using a gravity fed RO system. I've been told that every person needs 1 gallon of water a day just to survive.

just some of my morning thoughts.
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

After posting last night I did a search on the NIA. The video I found started out ok, then it got pretty hokey. Reminded me of something like the truthers. They seem pretty extreme to me. Like others have said, that doesn't change what may be comming. I still will continue to prepare.
bakerjw wrote:
stevejobs wrote:So what would y'all do to prepare, without going overboard?
Be prepared and then get twice as much.
I just told my sister to get what she thinks will last a few weeks and then double it. She lives to far away for us to really help her. A Food Saver and and jar attachment are realy nice too.

Jk
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

The advantage of having a stockpile is in case things go bad quickly. It gives you the option of staying in your house and laying low until things start shaking out one way or the other. The last thing anyone should be doing is going out in the middle of a food riot trying to get food for their hungry family. Just my $.02
J Krammes
Silent But Deadly

Post by J Krammes »

Just think of Black Friday. People get killed for TOYS. Imagine that but on a larger scale and for stuff that people think if they don't get they might die. You don't want to be anywhere near a store even if there is a rumor of a food shortage.

Jk
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

J Krammes wrote:Just think of Black Friday. People get killed for TOYS. Imagine that but on a larger scale and for stuff that people think if they don't get they might die. You don't want to be anywhere near a store even if there is a rumor of a food shortage.

Jk
Now THAT is a good point. Well said.
-----
Ick
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

J Krammes wrote:Just think of Black Friday. People get killed for TOYS. Imagine that but on a larger scale and for stuff that people think if they don't get they might die. You don't want to be anywhere near a store even if there is a rumor of a food shortage.

Jk
Dead nuts on target. Remember the WalMart (?) guard who was trampled a year or so ago? Killed by people wanting to buy worthless s--t for gifts. Imagine if hunger was involved.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

bakerjw wrote:The advantage of having a stockpile is in case things go bad quickly. It gives you the option of staying in your house and laying low until things start shaking out one way or the other. The last thing anyone should be doing is going out in the middle of a food riot trying to get food for their hungry family. Just my $.02
Good advice.
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

bakerjw wrote:The advantage of having a stockpile is in case things go bad quickly. It gives you the option of staying in your house and laying low until things start shaking out one way or the other. The last thing anyone should be doing is going out in the middle of a food riot trying to get food for their hungry family. Just my $.02
Exactly. I save up 2-liter soda bottles, wash them out then fill them with water. Ramen noodles are $2 for a 12 pack at Wal-Mart and it keeps forever. Baked Beans, Corn, etc. Not that hard to get a good stock. Chocolate is a good choice too. Have a good Multi-Vitamins as well. Stuff that keeps for a long time often lacks certain nutrients.

Now that I think about it, I need to get some Dry Milk. I also need to look into small stove options. I'm leaning towards one of those liquid fuel units and getting 20 gallons of Kerosene. Might get a propane powered one too since I have 2-20 pound tanks I use for my lead smelter. One is always full.

Might as well ask it here. I have one of those catalytic heaters for the small 1 pound propane bottles. They say not to connect to bulk tanks, I assume this means the 20 pound tanks too. Is there any reason for this or is this just butt covering by the manufacturer?

I've also thought about installing a small natural gas heater in the basement next to the furnace. If the power goes out, I'll still have some heat to keep the house from freezing up without having to use my other backups.

smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

"Food price fears as US warns on crop yields"

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/249211fc-ec1d ... z14soXgPhi
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

On the "fill empty water bottles" strategy.....

Doesn't water "go bad" in situations like that? I recall reading some extensive instructions on storing water that involved boiling, cooling, and additives to keep it from getting funky over the course of even a few months.

Although I suppose that AFTER it hits the fan if your stored water gets funky on you... you can boil it over a heat source... and then use it... as opposed to doing all that pre-crash work.

I suppose that assumes you have a heat source though.
-----
Ick
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

Water must be rotated just like food. It does go flat and can spoil from bacteria or other contaminants. Most of my "survival" books suggest rotating your water every 3 or 4 years.
Crosshair
Silent But Deadly

Post by Crosshair »

ick wrote:On the "fill empty water bottles" strategy.....

Doesn't water "go bad" in situations like that? I recall reading some extensive instructions on storing water that involved boiling, cooling, and additives to keep it from getting funky over the course of even a few months.
No, I have water I have deliberately not rotated and it's still good after 3 years despite getting opened once a year to pour some in a glass to see if it's good. You can also add a SMALL amount of regular chlorine bleach and it should keep even longer. Keep bleach around to purify water you might get via your downspouts, etc. (Cue "drinking bleach" jokes.) Out of the tap, if it's chlorinated, it should be good for a few years if your container is clean.
Although I suppose that AFTER it hits the fan if your stored water gets funky on you... you can boil it over a heat source... and then use it... as opposed to doing all that pre-crash work.

I suppose that assumes you have a heat source though.
Exactly. The emergency water supply is for the early part of the disaster. Nobody has all their SHTF stuff out and setup. It's typically packed away. Having a week of water gives you a chance to either ride out the disaster or time to get things setup in a way that is appropriate for the particular disaster. A blizzard is different than a flood and different yet from a tornado.
smcharchan wrote:Water must be rotated just like food. It does go flat and can spoil from bacteria or other contaminants. Most of my "survival" books suggest rotating your water every 3 or 4 years.
Sounds like what I have heard too.

smcharchan
Silent But Deadly

Post by smcharchan »

jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Post by jreinke »

Crosshair wrote:
bakerjw wrote: I also need to look into small stove options. I'm leaning towards one of those liquid fuel units and getting 20 gallons of Kerosene.
Don't by your kerosene in the 1-gallon cans that they sell in stores. They rape you on the price. Find yourself a 15-gallon poly drum (and don't forget a bung wrench) and buy it from a bulk fuel supplier, you'll save yourself a ton of money.
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]