Do you believe in God?

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, renegade, bakerjw, Hush

Post Reply

Do you believe in God?

yes
64
66%
no
33
34%
 
Total votes: 97

User avatar
Bargsbeer
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:28 am
Location: The Gunshine State (St Pete/Tampa FL)

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by Bargsbeer » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:16 pm

I don't mean to thread jack. I'm really enjoying this dialogue. :D
I used the evil Quicken Will maker..... And my form 4 was approved

User avatar
bikefreek
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: south-central..........Pa

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by bikefreek » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:18 pm

Bargsbeer wrote:I don't mean to thread jack. I'm really enjoying this dialogue. :D
Thanks for stealing page 7!!!!! :lol:

User avatar
ick
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 4617
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:17 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by ick » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:20 pm

bikefreek wrote:the very fact that it was written 600 years earlier mean that the "prophecy" could have been delibratley or inadvertently acted out. The fact that christs deciples read the old testament for all of their lives before christs arrival has weight when questioning the validity of the prophecy. Can you rule out the possibility of the old book influencing the writings in the new book?
It is not just this one passage. Prophecy upon prophecy fullfilled....coupled with documented witnesses.... alligned with my own study of what clearly I have concluded is a divine book..... that is then matched up with my own personal experience verifying these conclusions.... provides me with a preponderance of evidence.

I am not following what my Mother taught me here because I know nothing else.
Last edited by ick on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-----
Ick

User avatar
bikefreek
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: south-central..........Pa

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by bikefreek » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:20 pm

ick wrote:There are consequences from separation from God, yes.
so i will be judged not by my actions toward others, but by whether or not i believe the stories told to me by other men?

User avatar
Bargsbeer
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 484
Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:28 am
Location: The Gunshine State (St Pete/Tampa FL)

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by Bargsbeer » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:22 pm

bikefreek wrote:
Bargsbeer wrote:I don't mean to thread jack. I'm really enjoying this dialogue. :D
Thanks for stealing page 7!!!!! :lol:

No problem, I always enjoy a respectful debate about religion. Being an Atheist I like to hear all sides of the argument.
I'll let you all carry on. :D
I used the evil Quicken Will maker..... And my form 4 was approved

User avatar
ick
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 4617
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:17 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by ick » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:24 pm

You see it as a collection of stories written by men. I see it as a divine book.

There will be no reconcilliation of our disagreement without that point.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Not of works, lest any man should boast.
--Ephesians 2:8-9
Last edited by ick on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----
Ick

User avatar
bikefreek
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: south-central..........Pa

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by bikefreek » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:25 pm

ick wrote:
bikefreek wrote:the very fact that it was written 600 years earlier mean that the "prophecy" could have been delibratley or inadvertently acted out. The fact that christs deciples read the old testament for all of their lives before christs arrival has weight when questioning the validity of the prophecy. Can you rule out the possibility of the old book influencing the writings in the new book?
It is not just this one passage. Prophecy upon prophecy fullfilled....coupled with documented witnesses.... alligned with my own study of what clearly I have concluded is a divine book..... that is then matched up with my own personal experience verifying these conclusions.... provides me with a preponderance of evidence.

I am not following what my Mother taught me here because I know nothing else.
you might not be following what your mother taught you but you sure are listening to what others have told you

User avatar
ick
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 4617
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:17 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by ick » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:26 pm

bikefreek wrote:you might not be following what your mother taught you but you sure are listening to what others have told you
Yeah, because I didn't seek my own evidence and verify. Clearly I am uninformed.
-----
Ick

User avatar
bikefreek
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: south-central..........Pa

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by bikefreek » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:29 pm

ick wrote:You see it as a collection of stories written by men. I see it as a divine book.

There will be no reconcilliation of our disagreement without that point.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Not of works, lest any man should boast.
--Ephesians 2:8-9
yes i see it as a book written by men that HAS ANECDOTAL STORIES that have value in how we should treat each other. Nothing more. Do you take everything in the bible in the literal sense?

User avatar
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 4962
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Bozeman, MT

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by Blaubart » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:36 pm

libertyman777 wrote:There are actually a number of theory's out there that science accepts without being able to be proved otherwise. Namely the Big Bang Theory and Evolution. Both seem solid except for the gaps.
...and can you believe the scientists have the audacity to call them "theories"?!? :roll:

Theories are used, among other things, to study the feasibility of other things. Scientists will basically say to themselves, "Assuming this is true, what can we learn about that." The purpose of a theory is not to say "This is how it is, so STFU and stop thinking about anything else and just accept it as the only truth out there."

Scientists are open minded enough that even gravity is still a "theory".

Yet, there is more factual evidence in these "theories" than there is in the Bible, so why is it that so many religious people out there are quick to say "STFU! There is no other truth!" Why is it that there are even a handful of religious texts, that people in those religions claim are the authoritive word on their religion and they should be interpreted literally, that advocate the slaying of non-believers?
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu

User avatar
ick
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 4617
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:17 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by ick » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:44 pm

That is just it.

For every "Bible Thumper" there are ten scientists that absolutely demand that global warming is no longer up for debate, that the theory regarding the evolution of species actually answers all theological questions of man, and that a relatively new abstract cosmic string theory explains all things unless you have the misfortune of being a retard and unable to see that it does.

This is why it comes down to seeking for yourself and finding the answer.
Last edited by ick on Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----
Ick

User avatar
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 4962
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Bozeman, MT

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by Blaubart » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:45 pm

bikefreek wrote:wasnt that right around the time that religion claimed earth was the center of the universe? how did that pan out?....oh yeah religion was proven wrong
Not without a fight it wasn't. Which is just one of the many ways religion affects people outside of it's believers.
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu

User avatar
bikefreek
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: south-central..........Pa

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by bikefreek » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:55 pm

ick do you take everything in the bible in the literal sense?

User avatar
ick
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 4617
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:17 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by ick » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:03 pm

bikefreek wrote:ick do you take everything in the bible in the literal sense?
It doesn't matter, you won't believe my explanation anyway.
-----
Ick

User avatar
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 4962
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:22 pm
Location: Bozeman, MT

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by Blaubart » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:06 pm

ick wrote:That is just it.

For every "Bible Thumper" there are ten scientists that absolutely demand that global warming is no longer up for debate...
Me thinks these "scientists" probably number around 1 in 1000 of our population, so I think the "Bible Thumpers" have them outnumbered. Or do we have 2 billion scientists in the US alone? (+/- 200 million Christians in the US * 10 = +/- 2 billion. FWIW, the population of the US is currently about 307 million. But keep in mind, all of this is just a theory, so take it with a grain of salt.)

Anyway, yes, there are some scientists that say there is enough evidence of "Climate Change" that it's time we do something about it. Even if they're wrong, our current lifestyle is not sustainable, so we need to do something about it anyway. But, I suppose if you don't really give a rats ass what happens to future generations because you'll be sitting up in Heaven sipping wine with the saints, then why bother? But, if you're like some of the "Bible Thumpers" out there who actually believe that overconsumption is going to bring about the Apocalypse, or Judgement Day, or the second coming of Christ, or some other event to be celebrated, then you and I have a problem...

But, I don't think you'll meet many scientists that believe in "Climate Change" that would be willing to say that no further study is required. That would be silly of them, because their research grants rely upon it. :lol: IMO, we can reduce the amount of funding going into studying "Climate Change", and put it into a few more nuclear power plants and after changing the stupid ass laws that prevent it, invest some money into recylcling spent nuclear material. But that won't happen until "Climate Change" can be proven. So in the meantime, we waste more money on research...
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu

User avatar
ick
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 4617
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:17 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by ick » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:09 pm

Being proper stewards of the earth is a good idea, no question. The scientific community is quite a cluster of bias, chaos, mis-information, thievery, and power grabbish about the whole issue.

Much like everything else we have made a mess of things. That also includes the mess we have made of religion. Man doesn't have a good track record.
-----
Ick

User avatar
Transformers0704
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 415
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:04 am

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by Transformers0704 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:15 pm

Atheist Life vs Religious Life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaOVPaYf780

:mrgreen:
„Ç

User avatar
bikefreek
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: south-central..........Pa

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by bikefreek » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:16 pm

ick wrote:
bikefreek wrote:ick do you take everything in the bible in the literal sense?
It doesn't matter, you won't believe my explanation anyway.
i just want a yes or no

User avatar
ick
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 4617
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:17 pm
Location: Johnstown, PA

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by ick » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:31 pm

Sorry, not going to play your game.
-----
Ick

User avatar
bikefreek
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: south-central..........Pa

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by bikefreek » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:39 pm

ick wrote:Sorry, not going to play your game.
are you not playing because you know no matter if you answer yes or no i can point out something rediculous?

User avatar
doubloon
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 11901
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:02 am
Location: Houston-ish

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by doubloon » Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:15 pm

libertyman777 wrote:
bikefreek wrote: My view on god is that he doesnt exist...how is that not a lack of faith?
That is not a lack of faith. ...
Exactly. Holding on to a belief that cannot be proven is faith.

You believe god does not exist but you cannot prove god does not exist therefore you have faith, not proof, that god does not exist.

This is a blatant display of a tremendous amount of faith.

English can be tricky I know.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895

User avatar
bikefreek
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: south-central..........Pa

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by bikefreek » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:05 pm

doubloon wrote:
libertyman777 wrote:
bikefreek wrote: My view on god is that he doesnt exist...how is that not a lack of faith?
That is not a lack of faith. ...
Exactly. Holding on to a belief that cannot be proven is faith.

You believe god does not exist but you cannot prove god does not exist therefore you have faith, not proof, that god does not exist.

This is a blatant display of a tremendous amount of faith.

English can be tricky I know.
dude I dont have faith that there is no god...Ill repeat myself one more time. With the overwhelming lack of evidence to support the theory of god I have no choice but to not belive in him...that is not me adhereing to a faith that is just me reverting to the only other alternative. I cant even say he might exist because there is no evidence that he might. Your too busy playing around with the word faith to understand the simple fact that the reason i dont suspect god exists is because IM NOT PUTTING FAITH IN ANYTHING! to have faith in something you have to believe something...i am the lack of belief, nothing more.

Now quit finger fucking the word faith...the quote it was originally brought up in used in in the way to refer to a belief and trust in religion anyway

User avatar
doubloon
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 11901
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:02 am
Location: Houston-ish

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by doubloon » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:48 pm

bikefreek wrote:... With the overwhelming lack of evidence to support the theory of god I have no choice but to not belive in him...
You believe god does not exist even though you don't have any proof god does not exist. This is no different than someone who believes god does exist even thought they do not have proof. It's all faith.

You just express your faith through your belief in the non-existence of god.

Believe or don't believe, it doesn't matter to me but your argument against people who do believe in god without proof has ZERO credibility because you choose to believe god does not exist because you haven't seen proof god does exist.

It's OK if you have faith, it doesn't make you any less than what you already are.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895

User avatar
bikefreek
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: south-central..........Pa

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by bikefreek » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:14 pm

doubloon wrote:
bikefreek wrote:... With the overwhelming lack of evidence to support the theory of god I have no choice but to not belive in him...
You believe god does not exist even though you don't have any proof god does not exist. This is no different than someone who believes god does exist even thought they do not have proof. It's all faith.

You just express your faith through your belief in the non-existence of god.

Believe or don't believe, it doesn't matter to me but your argument against people who do believe in god without proof has ZERO credibility because you choose to believe god does not exist because you haven't seen proof god does exist.

It's OK if you have faith, it doesn't make you any less than what you already are.
OK ill bite...if there is no evidence of god what am i supposed to do? what should my standpoint be? If I feel there is a lack of evidence proving the existance of god... should i automatically accept the possibility? Sure Ill except the possablility whatever thats fine...the point is they wont accept the possibility that its all a sham. Ive never once said that the god theory is impossible...ive only said the EVIDENCE that is available has led me to think its improbable. So for you to state that i have faith in his nonexistance is infactual.

User avatar
bikefreek
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 578
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:16 pm
Location: south-central..........Pa

Re: Do you believe in God?

Post by bikefreek » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:26 pm

"In some circumstances it can be safely assumed that if a certain event had occurred, evidence of it could be discovered by qualified investigators. In such circumstances it is perfectly reasonable to take the absence of proof of its occurrence as positive proof of its non-occurrence." - Introduction to Logic, Copi, 1953, Page 95

Post Reply