Goggles banned at school swimming lessons

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

Hush
Silent But Deadly

Goggles banned at school swimming lessons

Post by Hush »

Coming to the U.S. soon from the country of stupid, the original nanny state. Hush

Children have been banned from wearing goggles during school swimming lessons for fears they could hurt themselves.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... ssons.html
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
mudshark
Silent But Deadly

Re: Goggles banned at school swimming lessons

Post by mudshark »

I really am amazed that the Brits are still allowed to own automobiles.

It won't last much longer.
Mitt Romney is a gun banning RINO.
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

That's kinda silly. Are swimming lessons common in public schools? I never saw a pool in a public school. oh wait, hold on

But I never saw a gym, either! Ey-ohhh!
jppd47
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by jppd47 »

Last year, Leicestershire County Council advised schools of the "dangerous" eyewear which it said could snap back in childrenâ s faces, or make them bump into one another due to reduced peripheral vision.
Reduced peripheral vision? Compared to what, walking around on land? I dont have a pool and goggles to check it out right now but I would bet under water goggles help you see better.
pro-gun gun owners are a minority.
Fair Use applies (U.S. Code Title 17 Chapter 1 Subsection 107)
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

You can see very well underwater without goggles. Depth doesn't work well without goggles, though. I've only freedived and snorkeled, but I bet after 25 feet or so the pressure would be annoying.

I don't know how it works, exactly. At the beginning of a warm season the salt hurts my eyes fierce, but after a few times it goes away and doesn't bother me anymore. Probably does something bad, too.
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

This s--t is just plain stupid. Take this for example:
[Wearing goggles could] make them bump into one another due to reduced peripheral vision.
Hrmmm, what's worse? Swimming with possibly reduced peripheral vision, or swimming with your eyes closed?

Diving with goggles into deep water causes the goggles to press into my eye sockets and gets painful quickly. I find that diving with a mask or without goggles is best.

I don't have any problem at all opening my eyes in seawater, in fact, it seems more comfortable to me than opening them outside the water. It's the chlorine in pools that makes my eyes burn.
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Blaubart wrote:It's the chlorine in pools that makes my eyes burn.
Could be chlorine, but also maybe the pH is too high or too low, the total alkalinity level is too low, or the calcium hardness level is too high.