Moving to Florida, Any suggestions?

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

trey_phish83
Silent But Deadly

Moving to Florida, Any suggestions?

Post by trey_phish83 »

I'm currently selling my house, i've got an offer on the table for very close to asking price.

i'm looking to go to florida, i need some experts opinions.

i love the heat,
i'm in a wheelchair,
i want peace and quiet.
i was originally thinking of moving to polk county area.

i'm open to any suggestions, and advice.

thanks in advance.

dave
Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Re: Moving to Florida, Any suggestions?

Post by Hush »

Contact your phone company for a Fla. directory of Polk county.
Right now its a buyers market. I would tell you to write Realtors in the area you're interested in stating your needs, how many rooms/square footage required if known, wheelchair ramp, pool, etc.

Furniture movers can screw you over, they will set a price to move you but when they get here they give you a spiel and up the price to unload you. Its suggested you sell your Furniture and buy new or used down here.

Make sure any home you are considering has been termite inspected, check for cracks in the foundation, you could wind up in a sink hole, if you see a chair or anything in an unusual spot it can be covering a hole in the floor, touch that nice clean window the glass, might really be Saran wrap, I tell you these things because of all the horror stories I've been told and try not to forget them for an occasion such as this. It might be worth it to hire a home inspector if there is one around.

Good luck, Hush.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
driver6814
Silent But Deadly

Post by driver6814 »

Look at a flood plain map, Or look at the surrounding houses and area.

I've seen beautiful new houses flooded during the first heavy rain.

There are alot of areas where the water runoff has nowhere to go. Those fields surrounding your hsg development might look nice but if they are higher than your neighborhood, all the runoff will come your way.

Oh and I hope you like Hurricane evacuations, Almost like a mini vacation.
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

There are some nice new homes for sale in my neighborhood. Lakeshore Ranch in Pasco County. Its quiet, secure and only 20min drive to two ranges. :wink:
Its about a 30min drive south(in traffic) to get to downtown tampa.

Plenty of ammenities, incl a 23acre springfed lake, a clubhouse, 3 pools, etc.
http://lakeshoreranch.org/

There are two builders in here. KHOV and Home Dynamics.
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

Find something rural in the panhandle. Build a 6.8 upper and a wheelchair accessible hunting blind.

The panhandle has its benefits. Get a head start on hurricane evac, more rural/small-town atmosphere, better drainage (not sure about this one).
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
trey_phish83
Silent But Deadly

Post by trey_phish83 »

alright, those are all good heads up.

hush, have you ever been in a hurricane evac?

i want to leave in the middle of the state, so i don't have to worry too much about that sort of thing.

fireman, it would be sick to live down the street from you, but i'm not big on the tampa area, maybe an hour to the right of tampa, ha ha. either way i'm sure i'll send an invite to shoot once i find a range.

i'm excited, hopefully i don't have to see snow again
Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

They can't force you to leave and I've ridden out a few, board up the windows and stock up on food and water, keep a camp stove handy and also stock up on batteries for the flashlights, depending on where you are the power can be off for one to a few weeks.

People have gone to shelters but they can't bring firearms and drugs must be in prescription bottles and no animals are allowed. Some shelters have had the roofs and walls blown down so I question the safety of them.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
jupiterdraft
Silent But Deadly

Post by jupiterdraft »

Talk to your insurer too. - many have run rates sky high in Florida. Also, look for a home built post 2002 (2005 better & seems to vary un-officially with carriers) as it will include more of the standards tha protect against hurricane damage - better insurance rates.

Building new is still expensive - in SE Florida, you'll still pay north of $125/150 per foot - used houses are going for under $50

Be weary of short sales and foreclosures - there are many reports of problems with banks on some of these cases and many title insurance companies aren't writing policies because clear title is vague with all the bank snafus.
The gene pool needs a shock treatment!

Diapers & Politicians...