Should I test to become a firefighter or a cop?

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Should I test to become a firefighter or a cop?

Post by weaponsloader »

So after 6 years of service in the AF I'm ready to move on. I would like to test for Anchorage Fire or Police. I have a personality/work ethic which is condusive to both career fields. They both have their perspective benefits. Cops work 4 ten hour days and get 3 day weekends. Firefighters here work a 2 on/4 off schedule. I don't mind working nights for either job since that's what I've done the past 5 years. Cops get paid a little better and you can take home your duty car. Firefighters don't have to deal with the daily commute as often since their shift is overnight. The academies for both are approximately the same length. The odds of getting hired are about the same (5% of applicants). I already have a medical background as an EMT in WA but AK doesn't accept my certification so I have to do the program again anyways. If I go the firefighter way I might as go all the way to the paramedic level so I get paid more. Nobody likes to see cops unless they really need them, everybody loves firefighters.I hate seeing injustice and not being able to do anything about it so there is another benefit for cops. I am a gun nut and have an above average proficiency with firearms, but that shouldn't make my career decisions for me. After doing some soul searching I truly believe I have a personality and attitude for either of the two. Its a tough decision and I may start doing some ride-alongs with both departments to get a feel for the city.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill every person you meet."
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Re: Should I test to become a firefighter or a cop?

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

Howard Thurman wrote:Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
D9M9TR9S
Silent But Deadly

Post by D9M9TR9S »

+1 there

Can you do both? Become a police officer and then volunteer as a firefighter?
weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Post by weaponsloader »

Great responses, I love that quote. Its a very tough choice, but I have 10 month s until my enlistment runs out so at least I have some time. I know I would enjoy serving in either capacity.
Schulze
Silent But Deadly

Post by Schulze »

Firefighter, for sure.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

weaponsloader wrote:... I know I would enjoy serving in either capacity.
Then pick the one that pays the most or lets you live where you would most like to be.

If the pay is the same and you'd be equally happy with the location requirements of either job then wrap a coin in masking tape, write "GUN" on one side and "AXE" on the other then throw it in the air and take what it says on the top when it stops rolling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Post by weaponsloader »

doubloon wrote:
weaponsloader wrote:... I know I would enjoy serving in either capacity.
Then pick the one that pays the most or lets you live where you would most like to be.

If the pay is the same and you'd be equally happy with the location requirements of either job then wrap a coin in masking tape, write "GUN" on one side and "AXE" on the other then throw it in the air and take what it says on the top when it stops rolling.
Cops pay a little bit better but not by much. I may just test for both and see who gives me a call back.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

If you're thinking about going into the business of being a Peace Officer, look inside really deep. Do it because of the feeling inside that draws you that way. Do it because you KNOW that's what you were meant to be.

Do something else if you're just doing it to "find a job", or for the money. I will guarantee you there will be days and times that there isn't enough money in the world that would make it worth while.

Just my 2 cents.

Carry on.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Post by weaponsloader »

I hear ya brother. It really isnt about the money for me, its hard to put a price on happiness. If that were the case I would stay in the military and apply for OTS. I love to serve, however it is time to set down roots somewhere. I know plenty of people do it, but i have no desire to make my future kids switch schools every three years. I have been doing quite a bit of soul searching as of late. Both jobs have elements that appeal to me, its tough nailing down which I going to spend a lifetime pursuing...
Syntax360
Silent But Deadly

Post by Syntax360 »

Try for both - these are hard jobs to get in this economy, and you are obviously aware of how few candidates make it through the process. Go through the selection process for both and take whichever will hire you - until you have two simultaneous job offers, there isn't really a choice. Good luck!
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

Well if you can control yourself fro Tasing a little disrespectful s--t to shut his pie hole then I think I would go that route.
Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://weaponblueprints.com/
weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Post by weaponsloader »

Mongo wrote:Well if you can control yourself fro Tasing a little disrespectful s--t to shut his pie hole then I think I would go that route.
haha that is a valid point
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Post by stevejobs »

I used to want to be a cop but I think it would be tough now, enforcing a bunch of laws I didn't agree with and all that s--t. No disrespect to present LEOs of course. I think it would be a hard job. Too many rules to follow.
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

I treat alot if firemen and alot of cops.....

.....here is what I've noticed:
-pay is slightly less for firefighters, and most have side jobs doing various things go make quite a bit more

-side jobs for cops typically revolve around armed security in uniform at Walmarts around here.....so somewhat policing still

-generally speaking, most jurisdictions around here will not allow one person to be a cop AND a firefighter in the same municipality

-divorce rate for the firefighters I great has been minimal if not non-existent,....cops, it seems rather high, including my cousin who is now a cop and in a divorce

-both seem to love their jobs

-generally speaking, the firefighters seem to "love life" where cops get tired of being hated for busting people doing what they shouldn't have been doing to begin with.

-generally speaking, firefighters seem sort of devious and light hearted...joking alot and playing practical jokes. Cops seem hardened after awhile and frequently come in the office in a bad mood.

Disclaimer: these are observations of people I see 2-4 times per week, some for the last 12 months.
I got a silencer for my wife.......I think it was a good trade!
weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Post by weaponsloader »

Reviving the thread, Im 6 months into the 8 month hiring process with the Alaska State Troopers. I feel pretty good how things have progressed so far and I find out if I advance to the next stage at the end of the month. The hiring processs seems to be pretty stringent for this department. When they hired last year, around 1800 applied and they only hired 11! If I do get selected the academy is 18 weeks long down in Sitka. Keeping my fingers crossed...
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

weaponsloader wrote:Reviving the thread, Im 6 months into the 8 month hiring process with the Alaska State Troopers...
Was right at the 9 month mark between initial application and swearing in ceremony here... And that was after the academy and state Peace Officer certification exam..

Good for you brother. Keep that body fat percentage low... :lol:
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
ERMaag

Post by ERMaag »

Good luck!!! hope you get the job. I think you're getting into it at just the right time. From what I've heard the APD won't be hiring anyone for a bit.
weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Post by weaponsloader »

Thanks I appreciate the advice. Yeah APD is really struggling right now for funding and I read in ADN that the troopers were looking at hiring some of the newer APD recruits if they do get laid off. Those would be major competition. I'm a bit nervous for the interview board and polygraph. I've got nothing to hide, it just seems intimidating being hooked up to machine. I plan to practice my interview questions in front of a mirror and record myself. I guess a fresh haircut and a decent suit goes a long way when it comes to the face to face interviews. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...
weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Post by weaponsloader »

Thread update:
I was officially hired by the Alaska State Troopers today and I leave for academy on the 24th of February. We started off with about 1300 applicants and I believe about a dozen of us made it. I'm honored and blessed to have this opportunity and am excited to work for such a unique agency. Take care folks!
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

weaponsloader wrote:Thread update:
I was officially hired by the Alaska State Troopers today and I leave for academy on the 24th of February. We started off with about 1300 applicants and I believe about a dozen of us made it. I'm honored and blessed to have this opportunity and am excited to work for such a unique agency.
Congratulations!!! Wish the best for you and know you're not gonna wash out. When you come outta the other end you will be a unique human in an awesome office... with an awesome responsibility as part of our societal matrix, charged with holding together this thing, often too casually referred to, as... our society.
weaponsloader wrote:Take care folks!
Prophetic parting words.

As I understand things, you will have your emotions replaced with a computer chip. One mph over the posted, will become... speeding. Period. Don't want to hear any excuses. Drivers with nonfunctional license plate illumination light bulbs will be suspected of transporting WMD's.

Remember to maintain balance. Remember where you came from. Make sure you continue to post here. Time will tell.

Be safe.
ariwhiteboy
Silent Operator

Post by ariwhiteboy »

Awesome, congrats man!

I love the show about them...can't imagine having to patrol in that large of an area. Best of luck to you and be careful.
It is a very sad man who requires his opinions to be validated by those around him.

SWR Spectre II (Pending)
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

ariwhiteboy wrote:...can't imagine having to patrol in that large of an area...
Meh, work in an office that patrols 680 sq. miles with 4 units per shift... sometimes. Those guys even have aircraft.

Practically falling over each other.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Post by weaponsloader »

Thanks for the advice. It does seem strange to me how badly people get ate up over little things. I've seen some pretty extreme examples in the military so that's definitely something I'll try to be cognizant of. Physically I'm ready for academy, what other things should I prepare for?
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

weaponsloader wrote:Thanks for the advice. It does seem strange to me how badly people get ate up over little things. I've seen some pretty extreme examples in the military so that's definitely something I'll try to be cognizant of. Physically I'm ready for academy, what other things should I prepare for?
Get your mental discipline strengths ready to repel boarders while remaining in a non aggression mode. Believe you will be tested/honed to the nth degree relative remaining calm under psy duress. Make yourself ready to give an answer to whatever question(s) are directed at you. Don't retract your answer either. Sometimes there will be no right answer... make it work troop.

Get ready for the 0200 PT evolution, right after you hit the sack, from a 2300 PT evolution. You're gonna love it.

When you find yourself in the impossible situation... slow down... take a deep breath, and organize the tasks. Address the most important one that you can control, first. If you're gonna be late... make sure you look good getting there, type thing.

Speaking of impossible situations: You're sitting there with your FTO and out of the blue they point their finger over at you and scream "I'm gonna blow your GD head off with this gun. What you gonna do?". Remain calm. Look nonchalantly over at them and state... calmly.. "No you're not sir/ma'am. You're dead. I shot you in the face with this bazooka 2 seconds ago when you started making furtive movements"... If they come back with something about you not having a bazooka, look surprised and reply with "Of course I do sir/ma'am. Got it at same place you got that gun you thought you were pointing at me". Don't miss a beat. Go back to what you were doing. It's a mindset. You WILL have an answer. You CAN'T, and I repeat... You CAN NOT do the mind freeze thing. You, or your partner, may die if you vapor lock in RL. Address the issue at hand. NOW!!! ... because addressing the least expected situation is what you're signing up for troop. And you better do it the "right way". Every time.
You will be responsible for addressing the impossible situation in the blink of an eye in the RL Peace Officer world. The review board will take hours, days, weeks, to decide if your solution was "prudent". It is what it is. This is why the mental element of your training is so important.

Study hard. Take notes. Take lots of notes.

What ever you do, remember that you are being trained to implement, and will be given awesome authority. With that comes awesome.. responsibility. NEVER...EVER... forget that.

Make this the most important thing in your life right now. That may be the hardest thing.

You will do well.
weaponsloader
Silent But Deadly

Post by weaponsloader »

Thanks again for the great advice. I guess being separated from my family and living in a dormitory will actually help eliminate extra distractions. I'm prepared to dedicate all my energy into the 5 month academy. This is my dream job so I really don't want to mess things up.