Do you say Grace?

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

In the last 30 days, have you said grace before a meal?

Yes
58%
No
42%

Total votes: 65

starsky

Do you say Grace?

Post by starsky »

Do you say grace before meals?
stevejobs
Silent But Deadly

Re: Do you say Grace?

Post by stevejobs »

No. But I say "I'm starving woman, where's my food!"
jupiterdraft
Silent But Deadly

Post by jupiterdraft »

We did when we were kids, and I suspect my kids will as well when they are young. I will consider it my responsibility as a parent to at least introduce them to Christianity (and possibly other religions as they mature), however, it will be on them to decide how they will live as adults...
The gene pool needs a shock treatment!

Diapers & Politicians...
Wyatt9k
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wyatt9k »

I try to, ive been brought up as a christian but I forget to say prayers alot. I think teaching your kids about God, Jesus and prayer is the number one thing in life, because without God, nothing is possible. IMHO YMMV...
Bone16
Elite Member

Post by Bone16 »

Every night before dinner, and sometimes during, if one of the twenty month old twins wants to hold hands and do it again That in and of itself is worth the laughter and smiles it causes, but I am not going to deny my children the opportunity to know the Lord either.
America is not at war. The U.S. Military is at war. America is at the mall.

Bone 16, Asshat at large, OUT!
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

**FAIL** Needs an "Imitation Crab-Meat" option
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
Maser
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maser »

My family consists of myself, my wife, and our 2 sons. That's only 4 people. Hardly enough to waste time saying Grace. At much larger dinners with friends and family, then yeah Grace is said.
My intelligence is like a suppressed rimfire pistol. You may not be able to hear it, but it certainly always hits its mark.
jdj
Elite Member

Post by jdj »

what's the point in talking to an imaginary friend before a meal?
"I regard virginity as a correctible perversity of no interest" - Lazarus Long (Time Enough for Love), Robert A. Heinlein
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

starsky wrote:Do you say grace before meals?

Although I dont say "grace" before a meal, I am constantly praying all day long. . . .so I assume God is cool with that just the same.
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoctorSolo »

The godless heathens are WINNING!!!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Bargsbeer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bargsbeer »

I try to, But I do forget a lot.
I used the evil Quicken Will maker..... And my form 4 was approved
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

I call my daughter Grace to dinner and generally have to make a few reminders, so I say Grace before dinner, all thru dinner and after.

And the FSM is watching. Always.
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I never pray for a few reasons:

One is that it has been proven to not work (people who pray are not statistically more healthy, well off, and don't have better outcomes from medical problems).

Two - I don't think it is right to petition the Lord. Asking for things is not something I am comfortable with.

I do sometimes thank God. I ran a race today and thanked God that I was able to do that. I think that is better than prayer because you are acknowledging something good rather than petitioning an outcome. Grace is more of a thanks than prayer, so it follows the jist of what I believe in, but is a bit too overt for me as I can be thankful without speaking.
zulusierra
Silent Operator

Post by zulusierra »

silencertalk wrote: One is that it has been proven to not work (people who pray are not statistically more healthy, well off, and don't have better outcomes from medical problems).
I have actually read that doctors say that people with faith (and a good attitude) tend to do better with health problems.

I don't know if that included prayer specifically or not.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health/31pray.html

People can counter this by saying "God knew that he was being studied and so purposely ensured that for this he would make the prayer not work, to test our faith."
jeephipwr
Silent But Deadly

Post by jeephipwr »

I recently read a book called The Survivors Club and the author definately attributed faith as a significant factor in surviving incidents and illnesses. I know this thread is about prayer but that is also part of faith.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

I am highly skeptical of the notion that a human-like intelligence of infinite power is both attending to us and making sure we have no evidence of this, while listening to our thought-requests for a better job, a sick kid to heal, for us not to get in trouble or killed in certain circumstances, etc. And that this power split of a portion of its sentience to incorporate within a Jewish baby, who was then executed as a minor political criminal in order to renew the power's contract with humans and soften its previously hard-core style, and also to create a condition in which humans burn forever in eternal torture if they fail to believe that Jewish guy was executed for them and was actually God incarnate.
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

starlingstalker
Silent But Deadly

Post by starlingstalker »

Well,I say Grace even if it's a only for a few words. It's the acknowledgment that counts. And I forget sometimes but not deliberately. Counting Your Blessings means a lot to me. And You never miss them until they are gone. Look around! So much for Free!
So having a meal even if a freebie costs somewhere. So, saying Thank You, means I'm grateful to God above. Others elsewhere might not be as lucky. But I am.
Pepul are like a herd of hogs under a big oak tree. None one EVER looks up to see where those acorns are coming from. And how many more trees would grow if a few acorns were sprouted for more of an abundance. But no. Hell NO! The moment that acorn hits the ground before it stops rolling, it's gobbled up! 100 percent of the time ASAP! And most pepul are like hogs. They REALLY don't care. And of course- they NEVER look up. Ever...... :cry:
starlingstalker :D
Ban weapons, not firearms!
It may ONLY be a dollar but its STILL a Sux Tax!
Pssst, so let's change this infringing UNConstitutional Law!
DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoctorSolo »

^^^You spelled people wrong. :lol: JFWY, don't be mad bro.
Ben B. wrote:I am highly skeptical of the notion that a human-like intelligence of infinite power is both attending to us and making sure we have no evidence of this, while listening to our thought-requests for a better job, a sick kid to heal, for us not to get in trouble or killed in certain circumstances, etc. And that this power split of a portion of its sentience to incorporate within a Jewish baby, who was then executed as a minor political criminal in order to renew the power's contract with humans and soften its previously hard-core style, and also to create a condition in which humans burn forever in eternal torture if they fail to believe that Jewish guy was executed for them and was actually God incarnate.
Well said IMO. The traditional notion of God is a symptom of man's arrogance. Still, I try to keep an open mind. There must be something to all this, right? :|
zulusierra
Silent Operator

Post by zulusierra »

Ben B. wrote: and also to create a condition in which humans burn forever in eternal torture if they fail to believe that Jewish guy was executed for them and was actually God incarnate.
Can you give me chapter and verse on that one so I can look it up?
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

zulusierra wrote:
Ben B. wrote: and also to create a condition in which humans burn forever in eternal torture if they fail to believe that Jewish guy was executed for them and was actually God incarnate.
To what end? And what would you accept as authoritative, the New King James Bible?

Perhaps we could skip the dance and you just tell me How It Really Is?
Thomas Jefferson

zulusierra
Silent Operator

Post by zulusierra »

Ben B. wrote:
zulusierra wrote:
To what end? And what would you accept as authoritative, the New King James Bible?

Perhaps we could skip the dance and you just tell me How It Really Is?
I don't claim to know the mysteries of the universe. You'll have to figure out "How It Really Is" solo. As a starting point in your journey I would recommend a course of study in physics, biology, and philosophy.

I just don't remember reading that particular passage and was hoping to be enlightened. I have, however, heard bible-thumpers, televangelists, and the folks standing in front of my local Wal-Mart with signs telling everyone they're going to hell say those kind of things.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

zulusierra wrote:I don't claim to know the mysteries of the universe. You'll have to figure out "How It Really Is" solo. As a starting point in your journey I would recommend a course of study in physics, biology, and philosophy.
I have enough book-lernin & fancy degrees, tho I wouldn't mind going to law school and learning how courts and the system really work. Regardless, physics, bio & philo are going to have precious little to do with the "chapter & verse" type of info you asked for, unless you want to train your mind to be skeptical about fanciful claims.
zulusierra wrote:I just don't remember reading that particular passage and was hoping to be enlightened.
No doubt your motive was enlightenment. In that case, you could chew over Acts 16:31, Romans 5:12, 6:23,10:9, 2nd Thessalonians 1:8, Revelations 20:15, 21:8, John 6:40, 11:25, 14:6, Galatians 3:26, Mark 1:15. I'm sure there are oodles more of chapter & verse upon which the preaching is built. I ain't no Bible scholar.
Thomas Jefferson

DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoctorSolo »

zulusierra wrote: I don't claim to know the mysteries of the universe. You'll have to figure out "How It Really Is" solo. As a starting point in your journey I would recommend a course of study in physics, biology, and philosophy.
Don't confuse what I said with what Ben said. I'm a 2nd year electrical engineering student(I have studied my fair share of bio and chemistry). My studies of math and science(and yes some philosophy and psychology when I didn't care about inventing anything or making money) are exactly what lead me to the questions I ask and the convictions I have. I don't claim to know everything, but I damn sure have some skepticism when someone says "the answers are right here".

And I like to poke fun at pepul. :wink:

ETA: I misread your post. I'll bow out. You pepul enjoy yer master debate.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

DoctorSolo wrote:
ETA: I misread your post. I'll bow out. You pepul enjoy yer master debate.
The corecct plural is pepuls.
Thomas Jefferson