Question for cops.

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Question for cops.

Post by TROOPER »

This is an informal survey for my own curiosity.

Of the three basic answers given to cops ... what are, in your own opinion, the percentage break-downs?

Cop: "What happened here?"
Person-being-asked-by-cop: "I don't know" (~20%)
Person-being-asked-by-cop: "Lie" (~40%)
Person-being-asked-by-cop: "Truth" (~40%)

That is completely made up set of statistics to illustrate what I'm asking. What are your personally estimated statistics? IDK - 40%, Lie - 50%, Truth - 10%?

If someone has a relative that is a cop, and that relative has bemoaned this exact conversation over a Thanksgiving dinner, please share that second-hand, anecdotal evidence.

-----------
ETA: This thread is in response to a conversation I had with a friend the other day. He had relayed a story about an experience of his with the law, and I commented, "Well yeah... but look at it from their point of view... people are always lying to them."

Then I started wondering how much that was actually true. Then I thought I could put out a very crude question on this forum to get a crude idea.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Re: Question for cops.

Post by ick »

I would imagine it is quite different when considering the reason for the call.

Like traffic accident vs. domestic vs. robbery
-----
Ick
jupiterdraft
Silent But Deadly

Post by jupiterdraft »

In how many cases would an "I don't know" be classified as a LIE or a TRUTH?

At some point you could boil the options down to TRUTH or LIE
The gene pool needs a shock treatment!

Diapers & Politicians...
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

This is a very interesting question. I am eager to see the information and opinions.

In insurance... I would say that people will lie to me 80% of the time when they think it will save them money on their insurance. 20% will level with me and tell me the truth no matter what.
-----
Ick
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

I would like to see how it varies by area . Willing to bet in the inner city it closer to 95 to 5 lies to truth." Stop snitching dawg".
Last edited by 66427vette on Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trevor2011
Silent But Deadly

Post by Trevor2011 »

I'm not a street cop but I have been a corrections officer for the last 18 years and its been my experince that the typical answer I get to start with is IDK or I was in the shower with my headphones on sleeping. Maybe 20% of the time and generaly only with the older inmates do I get the truth when im questioning someone about a violation.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

I would also guess that where your at and what the person was doing at the time asked or just before. IE the guy pulled over in a car reported stolen is not going to say I stole this over there. Watch COPS a few times. If these people had any common sense when questioned by a officer there one and only response would be I want my lawyer. I would guess that fully half the people in jail would not be had those have been the only words they spoke.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

The point about it being only "truth-or-lie" is a good one, and I had thought about wording it that way, but decided against it... it seemed like a good idea at the time. I guess my thinking was... cops respond to a non-vehicular 911 call.... there are people on the scene. Of those people, there are some that know what happened and some that don't. Of those that know what happened... they have the potential to lie or tell the truth.

I don't want strict parameters, because this isn't meant to generate usable statistics... just the crudest of ideas.
trey_phish83
Silent But Deadly

Post by trey_phish83 »

Whatever legality's I break, and get questioned about, I always under all circumstances dont admit anything.

It's 100% moving violations and other auto related issues.
Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

Way back in criminology classes in college I believe it was around 90% was a lie.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
CrazyDoc
Silent But Deadly

Post by CrazyDoc »

Im a CO and my wife is a a cop, we have found "idk" is the only thing people are sure about lol.

Toole
"If hooking a cat up to a car battery will help cure cancer, I have one thing to tell you. Red is positive and black is negative.

I will say no more."
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

I would guess any Le with a year or more of service would automatically assume everything said to them was a lie.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

99% of humans lie to cops asking questions. At least 99%. It might be higher. Other cops lie to cops. Mom's, Dad's, the POTUS, Senators, etc., they all will lie when a cop asks a question.

I include in the definition of lying, half truths and slanted truths.

It's the way of things.

Carry on.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

continuity wrote:99% of humans lie to cops asking questions. At least 99%. It might be higher. Other cops lie to cops. Mom's, Dad's, the POTUS, Senators, etc., they all will lie when a cop asks a question.

It's the way of things.

Carry on.
This is the qualitative/quantitative answer I was looking for; direct and to-the-point. Probably with a dash of hyperbole... but close enough. Thank you for the reply.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

"Everybody Lie's" House Md

Clint Smith
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

TROOPER wrote:
continuity wrote:99% of humans lie to cops asking questions. At least 99%. It might be higher. Other cops lie to cops. Mom's, Dad's, the POTUS, Senators, etc., they all will lie when a cop asks a question.

It's the way of things.

Carry on.
This is the qualitative/quantitative answer I was looking for; direct and to-the-point. Probably with a dash of hyperbole... but close enough. Thank you for the reply.
No problem bro... currently taking a break from sorting through outright lies, half truths, and slanted statements, to finish incident report(s). I love my job. No really. :mrgreen:
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
US Ranger

Post by US Ranger »

Person-being-asked-by-cop: "I don't know" (~20%)
Person-being-asked-by-cop: "Lie" (~40%)
Person-being-asked-by-cop: "Truth" (~40%)

Hmmmmm...........
"I dont know" usually means I know but I'm not talking to you because I'm guilty, I'm not a snitch, or I'll get my ass beat after. People foreign born from countries that fear the police will fear them here and are usually "I dont know"

If the person has something to lose, theyre lying. (they'll go to jail, they'll lose their car, or even theyre a victim of domestic assault and their spouse would go to jail - results in ass beating later or loss of help around the house)

If they have nothing to lose, they're probably telling the truth.

My experience - rural will lie as quick as urban.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand upon. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.
Hermit
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Hermit »

"Have you been drinking sir?"

"I only had "2" beers officer" :roll:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well-armed lamb."
1mobum
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1mobum »

Going off what I have heard from a couple family members who are cops 1 retired. They say idk(30%) about what happend why they try to come up with a lie(50%) of the story ,and still work in maybe 10% of the truth. The other 10% is what is never brought to light.
LeftEyeMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by LeftEyeMike »

It's the way of things.

Carry on.
I must be a chump. I tell the truth to cops, or i dont say anything at all.
I have been pulled over...
Officer: do you know why i pulled you over?
Me: you gunned me going 119mph down that hill trying to pass three semi's and a farmer haling cows, and my window tint is illegal. I also wish to tell you I have a CCW and my firearm in the car. Its tucked between my seat and the middle console. I am sorry I am trying to get to my sister graduation, and this is the only passing area for 40miles going this way ( two lane road)
Officer: :: stunned look:: actually yes, Ill tell you what, if you pull off the tint now i wont write that ticket ( $350), i am going to give you a ticket for speeding, at 20 over the limit. ( limit was 60 ) So i dont have to take you in. Enjoy your day, slow down, I wont warn you again... ever.
Me:: ok

honestly I have had to deal with police maybe 3 times in my life. all of them speeding, I have always told the truth, and it has always worked out for me, maybe thats why I do.

If my interactions were anything other than speeding violations, my response would be; Am I free to go? Am I under Arrest? I want my lawyer.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

LeftEyeMike wrote:...honestly I have had to deal with police maybe 3 times in my life. all of them speeding, I have always told the truth, and it has always worked out for me, maybe thats why I do.
Even though you add... "honestly"... that's a BIG TELL you're getting ready to lie, I'll say telling the truth, (whatever that is) is a big part of why what happens when you do get pulled over. It's refreshing. No, really. Most of the time you're being read for body language, facial "tells", and other flags. You tell the truth and leave the smartass, I'm so cute, connected, or I'm very important crap at home, and things generally go more favorably.
LeftEyeMike wrote:If my interactions were anything other than speeding violations, my response would be; Am I free to go? Am I under Arrest? I want my lawyer.
Just make sure the view is gonna be worth the climb, brotha. If you draw attention that warrants conversation with a peace officer, my suggestion is to be clear, HONEST, and concise. I've got an eight hour shift to obtain whatever understanding I need relative the reason for our interaction. And when I go away, there will be someone that looks just like me, to carry on where I left off.

Having said that, I'll probably follow your advice if the situation is a convoluted, s--t sandwich, major incident, where my immediate statements may, or may not, reflect what actually happened. Just remember, no matter how tough you think you are, make sure you're ready for the long haul when you utter those words.
LeftEyeMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by LeftEyeMike »

I never thought about the word honestly being a prelude to a lie. I will remember that.

If i am ever questioned for something that could have major repercussion, I dont trust myself going aganst a trained investigator, i will, as i said above, ask if i am free to go, if i am under arrest, then depending on the answer to those questions , i will ask for my lawyer. I have paid his retainer, i am going to use him. I hope i never will.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

In sales you are taught to watch phrases like that.

To tell you the truth.... What, you weren't telling me the truth before?
Honestly... what, your previous statement wasn't honest? you are giving me the truth now?
Well, actually.... so, what, this time you are going to stick to facts?

Not always indicative of dishonesty, but a red flag.
-----
Ick
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

Based solely on the fact that this is untraceable as far as this board, I'll bite.

Yesterday during a traffic stop, the subject stated that he was on state parole, before I even asked anything beyond "good afternoon I'm ___ _____ with the _ _ ____ ____". So he already made it a given that this would be entertaining.

I got him and his friend out of the car and I typically make people as comfortable as possible while remaining as cognizant as possible. I told them I would pat them down and they would be on their way in 5 minutes. (This usually defuses all situations).

He handed me an ID card (driver) and the passenger handed me a DL. I told him if he was cool he could leave the scene in the car. . . otherwise, tow truck. (really defused the situation). His record came back with about a dozen drug related offenses, ADW, Robbery, assault on a peace officer, fleeing arrest, jumping bail etc. His friend came abck a little more clean.

"So, tell me about your parole, you know your PO?"

"Uh, yea, shes cool I guess." (possibly a lie but irrelevent)

"Is your parole searchable?" (not like I gave two shits, but it was worth the ask)

"nah I dont think so" (LIE!!! All Paroles absed on drug offenses are searchable)

"Where are you heading"

"To __ ___, __ to get a travel pass to go to New Mexico to see my dad" (LIE. Parole office was closed for the holiday. . . no passes on days the office is closed)

"So tell me how your gonna get a pass to travel if its a holiday and the office is closed?"

"I guess I'll stay the night" (more than likely true, but irrelevent)

ended up his PO didnt answer her cell, state police had no wants or warrants, I had nothing on him but his bullshit. I handed him his keys and ID and told him to drive safe. He then proceeded to tell my partner a 5 minute story about how a cop searching his car ruined the interior by prying up the dash. . . .

Fuckin newb.

I'd guess your looking at roughly 30% truth for when they are cought, 80% truth when its irrelevent, 50% truth when it matters. . . .

Roughly. Thats also contingent on a lot of factors etc. Different locations will ahve different answers.
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)
nice shot
Silent But Deadly

Post by nice shot »

Having said that, I'll probably follow your advice if the situation is a convoluted, s--t sandwich, major incident, where my immediate statements may, or may not, reflect what actually happened. Just remember, no matter how tough you think you are, make sure you're ready for the long haul when you utter those words.
Truer words couldnt be spoken.

A cop doesnt always want to get you in an incident. . . maybe they want your "bigger fish" so to speak. You start with all the "do you know who I am, I want a lawyer s--t", great! You just guaranteed me a chance at a criminal case. So you inevitably just went from (for example) possession of more than a gram (citeable) to lawyering up, which forces me to present you in court, hold you until court is in session, get you added to a docket, have a judge waste his time with your s--t, bond you out, go back to court a month later only to pay a fine and do community service, have your record tarnished. . . .when you could have gave up a name or a place, and gotten your weed thrown out, gotten a ticket, maybe even let go in general. . . . but you wanted to play the smart ass game.

[the above is focused at no one, just an example of how I personally work things dependent on circumstances]
YHM 7.62 Phantom QD
T.I. Stratus .22
AAC Eco-9
YHM15 SBR (pending)