O-Reilly and guns

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

silencertalk
Site Admin

O-Reilly and guns

Post by silencertalk »

Said today that there should be a law that "Anyone who sells a heavy weapon of ammunition must be compelled to report the sale to the FBI."

He then went on to define a "heavy weapon" as an AK-47.

He then said terrorists can buy Bazookas and the FBI does not know about it. Where can we buy those?

He then said the Feds don't know if you buy a machinegun (he overlooked or is ignorant of the NFA / ATF process?)

He then went on to say there should be mandatory minimums for a crime committed with a firearm (I am very against mandatory minimums - that is why that woman who shot into the ceiling in the general direction of her abusive husband got a 20 year sentence - the judge had no ability to use judgement).

I don't support authoritarian conservatives like him.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: O-Reilly and guns

Post by doubloon »

silencertalk wrote:...
+1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Let's face it ... most Americans really don't understand the idea of an intermediate cartridge and many do not understand the difference between a semi auto AR-15 or AK and the full auto versions or how strictly civilian ownership of NFA weapons is controlled.

I think the bazooka comment was hyperbole.

Will be interesting to see what his e-mail does to help him understand these less than subtle differences.

Bill isn't really a conservative. All to often he regresses into "the ought to be a law" position ... and does not seem to recognize the folly. That being said, at least he seems to have drunk less of the kool-aid than most high visibility commentators.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

I often call it the "no clue" zone. The guy is an ass hat.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

There are all those in the country who have zero understanding of firearms at all. Then there are those who say they support the 2nd but again have little understanding of firearms Ie what is the difference between a shotgun and a rifle. Then to compound it even those who support firearms and have/ shoot them do not understand allot of what they are now things like NFA. I have been to many ranges with other shooters telling me that suppressors are illegal. Of course you also get the strictly hunters who see a ar or ak and think you breaking a law having those as they are "military" weapons.

It boils down to we have made so many laws rules and regulations even those who support the 2nd are not sure whats going on. We went from a country where almost everybody knew what a firearm was and fully support the right of every citizen to have one to what we have now. Where even those who "claim" to support eh 2nd say sure you can have firearms but you do not "NEED" those! Until people realize it has nothing to do with needs or wants but the inalienable right to bear arms we will continue to loose ground.

I must say however that with the popularity of the AR platform I personally think that bans are less likely. To many out there in the hands of our youth. As the NRA has said for many many years unless we get the youth to understand then all will be lost.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
Maser
Silent But Deadly

Post by Maser »

I'm amazed at how many pro-2A folks out there who have zero knowledge about NFA items and their legality. :roll:
My intelligence is like a suppressed rimfire pistol. You may not be able to hear it, but it certainly always hits its mark.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Bill thinks he is a conservative, but he isn't.

I would call him ill-informed "old-school" with a simplistic view of things coupled with a religious background.... that somehow always seems to justify government involvement. Somehow that is what he thinks conservatism is. He often has no clue of the most basic economic workings of the world... like the oil and gas industry as an example.
-----
Ick
copenhagen
Silent But Deadly

Post by copenhagen »

silencertalk wrote:
Clearly he is not conservative.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

His views have been changing the past year or so. If you notice he appears on "the view" often, also Letterman.
He also thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

Maser wrote:I'm amazed at how many pro-2A folks out there who have zero knowledge about NFA items and their legality. :roll:
Don't think that O'reily is pro-2Amendment. Bill O'reily is pro-Bill O'reily.

He's also (apparently) short-tempered authoritarian pseudo-conservative asshole:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5qU4qudJYk
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

O'Reilly is a right-wing authoritarian.

I like those types better than the left, but they are far from ideal.

I would bet most people who vote Republicon are right-wing authoritarians.
CThomas
Silent But Deadly

Post by CThomas »

Bill says he is an Independent.
He started spewing the same BS last night as well with a congressmen but the congressmen made objections but sadly he did not really have an understanding of the laws either.
So sad that congressmen get to make the laws that goverrn us all and they are clueless.

It was funny that when the congressmen was disputing Bill's claims Bill asked the congressmen if he had been to a "gun shown" lately. Bill made it sound like he has been an attendee.

I emailed my objections to Bill and explained the basic laws and called for an on air retraction. Until I hear about an on air retraction I am done with O'reilly.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Lou Dobbs just schooled O-Reilly on this issue. Said that the AK is a 7.62mm round and is in no way heavy weaponry. He said heavy weaponry would be a 30 caliber machine gun (which I took he meant an actual belt-fed machine gun) or a 50 caliber.

He then said that the boarder-state AK reporting laws was absurd and just a PR campaign by Eric Holster because 55,000 people in Mexico were killed in their drug wars.
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

It appears that O'Reilly has gone off the deep end on gun control.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/2 ... ref=topbar

O-Reilly is talking out his butt and refuses to believe that he is wrong. He wants a law that reports sales of heavy weapons; we already have one on the books since 1934. He even categorizes heavy weapons as mortars howitzers and machine guns.

He claims an individual can buy a machine gun and the FBI doesn't know, that is so stupid it is little different than a lie in my opinion. I do not know what kind of gun shows he is used to going to, but how is he able to buy a machine gun without paperwork? He can't, he is lying.

What is his problem with 60,000 rounds of ammo? We do not need to worry about any one person who wants to own that amount of ammo. We need to worry about the person who only needs a few guns/ammo to do the evil that they do. As far as I am concerned 60,000 rounds of entirely acceptable for anyone to own that can store it safely.

The FBI is not going to interested in most people buying 60,000 rounds of ammo when they could care less about who owns a machine gun or silencer as long as they do it legally. O'Reilly is acting like an idiot.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

copenhagen wrote:
silencertalk wrote:
Not so clear.

Many infringements on my freedom have been made in the name of conservatism.

Classical liberalism is where it's at, Libertarian is the only way to go if you truly love your freedom.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Authoritarianism is the bad part. Most Republicans are authoritarians - they are the enemy of liberty. Banning drugs and prostitution is an example of this. How is it liberty to tell a woman she cannot make money from that?
generaldisarray
Silent But Deadly

Post by generaldisarray »

doubloon wrote:
copenhagen wrote:
silencertalk wrote:
Not so clear.

Many infringements on my freedom have been made in the name of conservatism.

Classical liberalism is where it's at, Libertarian is the only way to go if you truly love your freedom.
One problem is people view a vote for a libertarian as a wasted vote. Like my nutcase friend. He said I might as well not even vote.

What "conservatives" fail to realize is that they are "wasting" their vote by buying into the rope-a-dope dem vs. republican battle.

Evidenced by Mr. OReilly
The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin, Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd..... Jules Winnfield
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/27/politics/ ... ?hpt=hp_c2
While he owns two pistols, a shotgun for his videography work and two assault rifles, he supports stricter gun control. He suggests establishing a bullet registry as well as outlawing large-capacity magazines and Teflon bullets.
Ba ha ha ha. Teflon bullets? He advocated banning silencers.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

silencertalk wrote:http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/27/politics/ ... ?hpt=hp_c2
While he owns two pistols, a shotgun for his videography work and two assault rifles, he supports stricter gun control. He suggests establishing a bullet registry as well as outlawing large-capacity magazines and Teflon bullets.
Ba ha ha ha. Teflon bullets? He advocated banning silencers.
They'll slice right through bullet proof vests! ;)
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

The sad part is he cannot admit he is wrong.

He was first schooled by Jason Chaffetz, then Loud Dobbs, and I am sure thousands of viewers such as myself this week Yet he continues to spout for laws that already exist.

From his ignorance of what could be bought at a gun show (mortars, howitzers, machine guns, etc), to his complete ignorance that what he wants was first passed in 1934 as NFA and is much stricter than what he wants ( as it is an approval process as opposed to merely a reporting proess), he seems to be ignorantly bliss.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

silencertalk wrote:Authoritarianism is the bad part. Most Republicans are authoritarians - they are the enemy of liberty. Banning drugs and prostitution is an example of this. How is it liberty to tell a woman she cannot make money from that?
Could not agree more.

He has a long list of things he does not want Americans to own. Among those he has said should be banned are SUVs and Rottweilers. Yeah, come and get them Bill.
Glock35
Silent But Deadly

Post by Glock35 »

assume he's just repeating information anyway, but sure, if you have the means or channels you can get weapons....Chicago is one such city where uzi/mac's can be obtained, never know if their term for guns is being used properly

just saw an article on the 'net where someone made a pistol from a DIY 3D printer. Not to mention, any engineer or person attempting one. Knew a guy at a washing machine company who legally made a pistol, 9mm iirc.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

In the future you will be able to download a gun from a torrent site and print it on your 3D printer.
Glock35
Silent But Deadly

Post by Glock35 »

yes, exactly. You cannot stop people who are driven.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

O'Reilly insisting on mandatory 10 year sentences for drug dealers. He does not get it.

The people who take drugs are the problem, the dealers are just filling demand. Mandatory minimums are like zero tolerance - not the way to do it. Judges need discretion.