SS Sparrow, Rust..

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderators: Kenny_SilencerCo, Andrew@Silencerco

Boosted98gsx

SS Sparrow, Rust..

Post by Boosted98gsx »

Guys, I'm getting some oxidation on the outside surface of my sparrow. I ultrasonic clean everything to remove the powder residue after I shoot it. Is there a good way to remove it?

Thanks
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: SS Sparrow, Rust..

Post by Bendersquint »

Boosted98gsx wrote:Guys, I'm getting some oxidation on the outside surface of my sparrow. I ultrasonic clean everything to remove the powder residue after I shoot it. Is there a good way to remove it?

Thanks
The tube isn't SS so it will rust.

Bronze brush may remove it depends on how deep the pitting is. I have also used WD40 with QTips before on the affected area
Boosted98gsx

Post by Boosted98gsx »

Bendersquint wrote: The tube isn't SS so it will rust.

Bronze brush may remove it depends on how deep the pitting is. I have also used WD40 with QTips before on the affected area
There's no pitting, yet. Just surface stuff. I'm just amazed that it oxidized apparently THROUGH the coating.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Boosted98gsx wrote:
Bendersquint wrote: The tube isn't SS so it will rust.

There's no pitting, yet. Just surface stuff. I'm just amazed that it oxidized apparently THROUGH the coating.
No pitting then just WD40 it off, it will protect while it cleans as well.

The coating is just something to slow the process down, it doesn't stop it by any means.
Andrew@Silencerco
Silent But Deadly

Post by Andrew@Silencerco »

If you put the tube in the ultrasonic there is a good chance that the damage caused to the finish is what allowed the rust to take hold. The tube is not recommended placed in a US cleaner for this reason. The metal itself is strong enough but the finish will deteriorate rapidly when exposed to a US cleaner. See what you can do with the WD-40, if the rust continues contact me at 801-417-5384 and I will see what I can do for you.
Andrew Herbst
Silencerco/SWR
Customer Service
801-417-5384
[email protected]
Boosted98gsx

Post by Boosted98gsx »

Andrew@Silencerco wrote:If you put the tube in the ultrasonic there is a good chance that the damage caused to the finish is what allowed the rust to take hold. The tube is not recommended placed in a US cleaner for this reason. The metal itself is strong enough but the finish will deteriorate rapidly when exposed to a US cleaner. See what you can do with the WD-40, if the rust continues contact me at 801-417-5384 and I will see what I can do for you.
Thanks!
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

I wonder if these steel tubes are a candidate for the melonite process? Warping might be a factor.

Are the new tubes SS? Maybe Silencerco could do an upgrade program for the old steel tubes to be melonite treated?
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

strobro32 wrote:I wonder if these steel tubes are a candidate for the melonite process? Warping might be a factor.

Are the new tubes SS? Maybe Silencerco could do an upgrade program for the old steel tubes to be melonite treated?
Yes they can be nitrided, we have had a number of requests for that treatment but not enough at one time to do a run.
Fireman1291
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fireman1291 »

As stated never use a USC for the tube. The clamshells keep it clean anyway. I'm sure Silencerco will take care of you if you. Or you can caulk it up as character and shoot the piss out of it. :wink:
Industry T&E
https://www.youtube.com/nfareviewchannelusa
Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/NFAreviewchannel
Instagram
https://www.instagram.com/nfareview
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

Bendersquint wrote:Yes they can be nitrided, we have had a number of requests for that treatment but not enough at one time to do a run.
Put out a call. They could piggyback on your next batch of parts. I bet you will get enough to make it affordable for everyone.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

strobro32 wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:Yes they can be nitrided, we have had a number of requests for that treatment but not enough at one time to do a run.
Put out a call. They could piggyback on your next batch of parts. I bet you will get enough to make it affordable for everyone.
Need about 30 of them to make it worthwhile and reasonably priced.

Parts or run by size, so unfortunately we can't run tubes with barrels or other parts.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

I'm number 1 in line.
Boosted98gsx

Post by Boosted98gsx »

Bendersquint wrote:Need about 30 of them to make it worthwhile and reasonably priced.

Parts or run by size, so unfortunately we can't run tubes with barrels or other parts.
If the price is reasonable (also, define reasonable), I would be in on this as well.

I am still getting lots of surface oxidation on the inner walls of the outer tube. WD40 isn't keeping it at bay. Still no pitting that I can see, but the rust is very apparent.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Boosted98gsx wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:Need about 30 of them to make it worthwhile and reasonably priced.

If the price is reasonable (also, define reasonable), I would be in on this as well.

I am still getting lots of surface oxidation on the inner walls of the outer tube. WD40 isn't keeping it at bay. Still no pitting that I can see, but the rust is very apparent.
Goal is $30 returned to your doorstep, looks like we may have enough to move forward but we are now investigating the complete can being treated and that is taking a bit to nail it solid.

Strobro32 started a thread for it.
Boosted98gsx

Post by Boosted98gsx »

Bendersquint wrote:Goal is $30 returned to your doorstep, looks like we may have enough to move forward but we are now investigating the complete can being treated and that is taking a bit to nail it solid.

Strobro32 started a thread for it.
Then I am definitely in, pending $30 is the cost for this.

Link for that thread?

n/m found it

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=107943
Boosted98gsx

Post by Boosted98gsx »

Andrew@Silencerco wrote:If you put the tube in the ultrasonic there is a good chance that the damage caused to the finish is what allowed the rust to take hold. The tube is not recommended placed in a US cleaner for this reason. The metal itself is strong enough but the finish will deteriorate rapidly when exposed to a US cleaner. See what you can do with the WD-40, if the rust continues contact me at 801-417-5384 and I will see what I can do for you.
I would just like to point out that in the instruction manual it actually recommends ultrasonic cleaning for the suppressor, and no where does it state that it would harm the coating for the outer tube.

This issue should be a warranty issue, and handled at the silencerco's expense. When I purchased a stainless suppressor, I expected the entire thing to be stainless.

False advertising much?
Andrew@Silencerco
Silent But Deadly

Boosted98gsx wrote:
I would just like to point out that in the instruction manual it actually recommends ultrasonic cleaning for the suppressor, and no where does it state that it would harm the coating for the outer tube.

This issue should be a warranty issue, and handled at the silencerco's expense. When I purchased a stainless suppressor, I expected the entire thing to be stainless.

False advertising much?

As I said if you contact me at the number I provided I can get you taken care of.
Andrew Herbst
Silencerco/SWR
Customer Service
801-417-5384
[email protected]
cmichael
Senior Silent Operator

Post by cmichael »

Boosted98gsx wrote:

False advertising much?

My SS Sparrow #009X. The tube is not stainess. What is the serial number start with the stainess steel tube? Silencerco refinish my tube. Return time door to door less than 1 week. But the finish start to come off a little now. Also they change the core and half pipe. But the half pipe is little too big for the core, still fit inside the tube.
Boosted98gsx

Post by Boosted98gsx »

Andrew@Silencerco wrote:
Boosted98gsx wrote:

False advertising much?

As I said if you contact me at the number I provided I can get you taken care of.
Edit thank you for your courteousness, Andrew. The sparrow shipped out this afternoon via USPS priority.
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Post by jdasilva »

this may be a dumb question but can silencerco bead blast existing sparrows like the one they're selling?
Andrew@Silencerco
Silent But Deadly

jdasilva wrote:this may be a dumb question but can silencerco bead blast existing sparrows like the one they're selling?

The in the white Sparrows are a distributor exclusive limited run. Originally when we were playing with the in the white option we blasted a few that had already been black ox'd and they didn't come out looking all that great. The other issue is the blasting can and likely will eliminate the markings on the suppressor.
Andrew Herbst
Silencerco/SWR
Customer Service
801-417-5384
[email protected]