A machinists comment on stellite....

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderators: Kenny_SilencerCo, Andrew@Silencerco

wacki
Silent But Deadly

A machinists comment on stellite....

Post by wacki »

Just picked up my Osprey. I love it!

While at the shop one of the guys running my forms is a machinist during the week and said satellites are very brittle. He said putting stellites in suppressors was a bad idea and went on how the heating and cooling cycles can cause it to crack. He's had similar issues with Gem-tech's inconel though. So I did a quick google on stellites and this PDF says not all are brittle:

http://stellite.com/portals/0/wrought%2 ... 080430.pdf

Just wondering if SilencerCo has any other comments to make. I'm pretty sure you guys have all your ends covered (+ lifetime warranty) but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: A machinists comment on stellite....

Post by Bendersquint »

wacki wrote:Just picked up my Osprey. I love it!

While at the shop one of the guys running my forms is a machinist during the week and said satellites are very brittle. He said putting stellites in suppressors was a bad idea and went on how the heating and cooling cycles can cause it to crack. He's had similar issues with Gem-tech's inconel though. So I did a quick google on stellites and this PDF says not all are brittle:

http://stellite.com/portals/0/wrought%2 ... 080430.pdf

Just wondering if SilencerCo has any other comments to make. I'm pretty sure you guys have all your ends covered (+ lifetime warranty) but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Gemtech's inconcel problems are failure of design and implementation of said design not the metals used.
cal50
Silent But Deadly

Post by cal50 »

Stellite was / is used in some. 50 barrels, valves and various applications that resist high temps & erosion. Hastoloys & inconel are great materials as well but not always the best choice in every condition. It comes down to design intent & conditions.
Branded for life, in more ways than one
Henry Graham
Industry Professional

Post by Henry Graham »

Only if you are comparing it to a soft stainless like 304. :)
We do have our ends covered and our lifetime warranty covers you.
Stellite is superior to inconel as a suppressor material in every way that matters. A Stellite baffle will be glowing red and taking abuse long after an inconel baffle yields and collapses. I consider Stellite the perfect rifle suppressor baffle material. Erosion resistant and strong even when glowing red hot.
Rugged Suppressors
Travelers Rest SC
ruggedsuppressors.com
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Henry you perfected the blast baffle now fix your dealer locator on the website. :D I keep getting deleted along with the other dealers in my area. :D
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

It is good enough for me to buy two Specwars.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Just curious, which Stellite alloy (1, 3, 4, 6, 12, 21, etc) do you guys use?

Do the Specwar and Saker both use the same type alloy?
kc_silencerco
Silent Operator

Post by kc_silencerco »

The Stellite we use is proprietary.

The Saker and the Specwar use the same Stellite.
K.C. Hutchinson
Customer Service
SilencerCo
[email protected]
Pman5KMO
Senior Silent Operator

Post by Pman5KMO »

cal50 wrote:Stellite was / is used in some. 50 barrels, valves and various applications that resist high temps & erosion. Hastoloys & inconel are great materials as well but not always the best choice in every condition. It comes down to design intent & conditions.
Early M60 barrels had stellite liners.

Keep in mind using stellite or inconel in a general sense is just like saying steel in a totally general sense... the many various alloys of each that have totally different intrinsic properties many of which are great for one purpose but horrid for another.
Suppressors cost less than hearing aids..
Dieseljay

Post by Dieseljay »

kc_silencerco wrote:The Stellite we use is proprietary.

The Saker and the Specwar use the same Stellite.

So I'm just a noob here in the forums but does SiCo have patents on this proprietary stellite material? Or even a pending number? That might be able to dispel the misconceptions in performance around the generic term "stellite" that is used in the suppressor.
speed6
Senior Silent Operator

Post by speed6 »

We use stellite 21 in nuclear steam/feedwater valve seats at work. Stellite 6 is also commonly used but we have found 21 resists cracking better.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

Pman5KMO wrote:
cal50 wrote:Stellite was / is used in some. 50 barrels, valves and various applications that resist high temps & erosion. Hastoloys & inconel are great materials as well but not always the best choice in every condition. It comes down to design intent & conditions.
Early M60 barrels had stellite liners.

Keep in mind using stellite or inconel in a general sense is just like saying steel in a totally general sense... the many various alloys of each that have totally different intrinsic properties many of which are great for one purpose but horrid for another.
Also used in some 1919 barrels.