Specwar 762 question

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderators: Kenny_SilencerCo, Andrew@Silencerco

Stephens

Specwar 762 question

Post by Stephens »

I am going to be getting this can someday, and this can will be able to fire .308 and lower calibers. Can I put a CMNG conversion bolt in my AR 15 and shoot .22lr? If so is this good or bad and how do you clean this suppressor?
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Re: Specwar 762 question

Post by jdasilva »

Very bad idea because of the lead fowling. Tons of build up that will degrade the performance of the specwar.

The specwar doesn't come apart so you'd either have to get a ultra sonic cleaner, use harsh chemicals, or send it to Silencerco to be cleaned.

A dedicated rimfire can is really the best option & they are quite affordable. Silencer shop have a couple that are in the sub $200 range.

Plus, its heavy. My Warlock 2 is 3oz whereas my specwar 762 is 24oz
Andrew@Silencerco
Silent But Deadly

Post by Andrew@Silencerco »

The Specwar is not rated for use with rimfire ammunition.
Andrew Herbst
Silencerco/SWR
Customer Service
801-417-5384
[email protected]
Stephens

Post by Stephens »

Thank you, I don't want to ruin it.
berserk686

Post by berserk686 »

Stephens,
Dedicated .22lr cans are pretty affordable, and much more efficient. If I were you I'd check out a SilencerCo Sparrow or a SWR Spectre. The latter is cheaper, but the Sparrow doesn't require tools to take it apart, which is IMO a big plus. The more expensive Element 2 made by AAC is perhaps a bit quieter, but the difference is pretty negligible and needs tools too. Also the element is harder to take apart due to its design; it doesn't partition the tube from the baffles, causing them to stick to the walls of the can, greatly increasing the difficulty in taking it apart. You might have already figured this stuff out, but I thought I'd try to save you some time. Hope it helps, if you decide to go this route.

I've got a Sparrow on the way, and I'm really looking forward to .22lr becoming reasonably priced and available again.

If you want a pistol can instead as a next purchase, you can however shoot .22lr through the SWR octane series. I haven't tried it, but a member on here named Emilio has and says it sounds surprisingly nice. I would guess that the additional volume of the 9mm or .45 can negates the larger bore diameter (which allows more gases to escape).

For cleaning, you might have to use the dip, which is covered pretty extensively in this forum. I don't know if the Specwar is designed to handle an ultrasonic cleaner. Maybe Andrew could help with that. If it can, and I were you, I would buy an ultrasonic cleaner from midway or somewhere like that and use purple power cleaner as a solvent. SWR has videos of the Octane series being cleaned via the latter method.
teskymo

Post by teskymo »

Stephens wrote:I am going to be getting this can someday, and this can will be able to fire .308 and lower calibers. Can I put a CMNG conversion bolt in my AR 15 and shoot .22lr? If so is this good or bad and how do you clean this suppressor?

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT, use any can, that is not rated for a 22lr, period!!! There is a reason, that the manufacture says weather or not thier can is rated for 22lr, if you are crazy enough to use a none rated 22lr can, then stand by for some heavy duty work and time, trying to clean it out. If you have more money, than sense, then sure go ahead and use it, but standby to buy a sonic cleaner, for hermatically sealed cans, or if the can can be taken apart, then good luck trying to pry it apart when all that lead is deposited in the can. Bottom line is buy you a 22lr dediacated can, like a Sparrow, Element, etc... which are probablly the two top rated and proformance wize, cans you can get.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Andrew, do you apply any special coating (like Teflon,etc) to .22lr baffles?
I've heard that some Mfrs are using surface treatments to combat "lead welding."
Would copper plated bullets be OK, or would the dirty powders/primer corrupt the system?
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
MCKNBRD
Silent But Deadly

Post by MCKNBRD »

Copper washed/plated don't really help much, except marketing a prettier bullet.

Still have lots of unburnt powder and molten lead spewing into the can, thus the recommendation to avoid Rimfire ammo in a centerfire suppressor that can't come apart for cleaning.

I doubt 20 or 30rds of .22LR would make a lot of difference, but manufacturers can't assume moderation with customers.

Byrdman
StoneyGherkin

Post by StoneyGherkin »

whiterussian1974 wrote:...do you apply any special coating (like Teflon,etc) to .22lr baffles?
After a thorough cleaning, I paint my Spectre-II baffles with TW-25B grease on both the face and backside, and the difference it makes in cleaning afterwards is nothing short of amazing.

Fouling just flakes off, even on the blast baffle and the first several other baffles, which catch the worst of it.

Use a short little camel hair oil paint brush about 1/3" wide. After I tried this I was kind of amazed it doesn't seem to be a standard practice (like the dip, for example.) There doesn't need to be a lot, just enough so you can see it, same as though you were greasing a baking dish for cooking.
"il corporativismo è la pietra angolare dello Stato fascista"
Andrew@Silencerco
Silent But Deadly

Post by Andrew@Silencerco »

I don't personally coat my baffles in anything. I have heard of people using Frog Lube or something like a Welding Anti Spatter spray to try to keep the lead from adhering to the baffles. As long as you use moderation when applying you shouldn't have any issues.
Andrew Herbst
Silencerco/SWR
Customer Service
801-417-5384
[email protected]
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

Thanks All for your answers. :)
Byrd, maybe this leakage is b/c the lands piece the coating. Thus, molten lead spatter.
Rimfire primers are also very corrosive. Since the firing pin doesn't have an anvil to prevent the primer from absorbing shock, different chemical reactants are used to take advantage of friction w/i the material.
It would be nice if the case was redesigned w thicker base webbing to minimize deformation. :D
Though the Mfrg cost would probably be prohibitive, or else it would have been done already.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

The lead is vaporized from the base of the bullet by the burning powder and condenses on the baffles.