Cleaning

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderators: Kenny_SilencerCo, Andrew@Silencerco

Delasangre4231
Silent But Deadly

Cleaning

Post by Delasangre4231 »

So I finally got the baby home, 1 year and 5 days from date of purchase.

Anyways, I shot maybe 800-1000 rounds downrange while it was in jail because my dealer is amazing. Now that I got it home I went to take it apart and gosh was it filthy.

Q1 is an ultrasonic the easiest way to clean the caked on carbon? I brass brush and solvent barely touched it.

Q2 how do I get the blast baffle out and how hard can I hit it to try and get it out? I don't want to break anything but don't know how gentle to be.

Life's simple, you make choices and you don't look back.
-Han
Delasangre4231
Silent But Deadly

Re: Cleaning

Post by Delasangre4231 »

Nevermind I got the Blast Baffle out. This thing was stuck together pretty well after 1000 rounds worth of crud sitting for a year
-Han
O2HeN2
Silent But Deadly

Post by O2HeN2 »

Delasangre4231 wrote:This thing was stuck together pretty well after 1000 rounds worth of crud sitting for a year
Probably more like 3000 if you get my drift. :)

O2
When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
You are the FIRST responder. Police, fire and medical are SECOND responders.
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

The easiest way to clean any SS suppressor parts is in a wet tumbler with SS pins. My Octane9 HD baffles, Silencerco/SWR pistons, and Sparrow half tubes come out looking brand new. When done simply dry them off and add a light coat of oil.

I also have an ultrasonic cleaner but in no way does it clean as well as the wet tumbler.
Delasangre4231
Silent But Deadly

Post by Delasangre4231 »

Well they emailed me and recommended a soak in vinegar and hydrogen peroxide.
-Han
Andrew@Silencerco
Silent But Deadly

Post by Andrew@Silencerco »

The tumbler and stainless pins with about 1/2 a cup of water and a bit of dish soap will do a really good job also.
Andrew Herbst
Silencerco/SWR
Customer Service
801-417-5384
[email protected]
Delasangre4231
Silent But Deadly

Post by Delasangre4231 »

See my problem is that I dont have any of these machines yet, like the ultra sonic or tumbler so I need to do it by hand until I can afford them.
-Han
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Delasangre4231 wrote:Well they emailed me and recommended a soak in vinegar and hydrogen peroxide.
The famous "dip." Just a friendly reminder that this will turn into lead acetate...very toxic. Always use nitrile gloves and dispose of the mixture at your local hazmat facility. Don't pour it down the sink.
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

rimshaker wrote:
Delasangre4231 wrote:Well they emailed me and recommended a soak in vinegar and hydrogen peroxide.
The famous "dip." Just a friendly reminder that this will turn into lead acetate...very toxic. Always use nitrile gloves and dispose of the mixture at your local hazmat facility. Don't pour it down the sink.
This is why I like using a wet tumbler and SS pins. No toxic chemicals and cleans just as well as the dip.
StoneyGherkin

Post by StoneyGherkin »

The dip has worked for me, I haven't let my Spectre get too dirty; about 30 minutes is all it takes. I clean it after every couple hundred rounds...

An RCBS ultrasonic will be on the Brown Truck, on Monday. Silencerco's own video recommends 50% Purple Power and 50% H2O buzzing away at 175 degrees for 1 hour.

Before I saw that video, I picked up a jug of Ultrasonic Hornady gun cleaning solution, so we'll see how that goes, too.

I couldn't find a "New members introduction' area, so I guess this is it. I've been watching the forum for the last 10 1/2 months, waiting for the tax stamp.
"il corporativismo è la pietra angolare dello Stato fascista"
StoneyGherkin

Post by StoneyGherkin »

Follow-up on the Ultrasonic:

Using Hornady's ultrasonic gun cleaning solution it did a great job on a Ruger 22/45, Colt 1991A1, and got those cleaner than I've ever had them, though I learned that I should have scrubbed the bores a bit beforehand.

The Hornady Gun Cleaner did not do a very good job on the Spectre-II baffles, however.

40 minutes at 140 degrees and could barely tell a difference from when we started. The tube and end cap threads came out fine, but baffles were a disappointing story.

SO upshot on the Ultrasonic, it did a great job in cleaning general hard-to-reach gun parts, really stripping out the tight corners of their gunk that even a pick and Q-tips couldn't reach. The Hornady ultrasonic solution contains pine oil, the smell of which I dislike quite a bit (reminds me of a barf clean-up in grade school) BUT it did a good job for it's stated purpose.

Next time I get the Spectre dirty, which shouldn't be too long, I'll try the Silencerco-recommended Purple Power at 50% dilution. Will keep you posted, as they say.
huanab

Post by huanab »

Purple power didn't work on my Spectre II baffles. It will take off some of the carbon fouling, but lead deposits won't budge.

I had to resort to just using good old vinegar.
StoneyGherkin

Post by StoneyGherkin »

Are you using the vinegar as a soak, or in an ultrasonic machine?
Delasangre4231
Silent But Deadly

Post by Delasangre4231 »

Can I put Melonite or Failzero parts in the vinegar/H2O2 dip?
-Han
thomasnelson

Post by thomasnelson »

Delasangre4231 wrote:Can I put Melonite or Failzero parts in the vinegar/H2O2 dip?
YES!.. My Melonited Sparrow22-SS has had three Vinegar/Hydrogen Peroxide dip baths (for you Chem folks..CH3COOH/H202)... No ill effects yet... and still looking as great as the day i got it back from SRI.
Delasangre4231
Silent But Deadly

Post by Delasangre4231 »

Sweet I was hoping to put my Falizero AR15 bolt in the get the caked on carbon off near the gas rings.
-Han
huanab

Post by huanab »

StoneyGherkin wrote:Are you using the vinegar as a soak, or in an ultrasonic machine?
Sorry for such a long delay to reply, don't check forums often. :shock:

Anyways, I use vinegar in the ultra sonic. Wear gloves and dispose of the solution as hazmat.

When you use the dip, the vinegar will break the lead down, the h2o2 is just the agitator.

Vinegar + ultrasonic = the dip on steroids
StoneyGherkin

Post by StoneyGherkin »

Thank you for getting back about the "secret formula". I have wondered for awhile why nobody had tried the "dip" in an Ultrasonic. The ingredients are pretty inexpensive, and it makes sense that it'd work great, but frankly didn't want to be the one that discovered that it was TOO GOOD and wrecks the machine or something. :lol:

Though the Hornady Gun Cleaner does a good job on regular gun parts, as it's intended, it did next-to-nothing on the Spectre-II baffles.

I am looking forward to trying this. :-)
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Vinegar solution in an ultrasonic. Hmm it might just speed up the cleaning process if anything? Instead of waiting 1-2 days looking at a cloudy glass jar.

*sigh*... i just wish Al baffles could be cleaned with either ultrasonics or the dip.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

Sounds like a toxic nightmare every time you use it.

Hope people aren't reading this and start Putting vinegar in a sonic. :shock:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
StoneyGherkin

Post by StoneyGherkin »

Regardless of the method, whenever anyone cleans a .22 suppressor, lead is coming out of it, no matter the method. Brush, cloth, dip or ultrasonic cleaner.
Lead is defined as a toxic substance, and just because it might be suspended in Hornady solution does not make it any less toxic than if it's in another liquid. :wink:
jh1990
Silent Operator

Post by jh1990 »

I use 50/50 purple power to water in my ultrasonic cleaner with the Sparrow. Works like a charm. My ultrasonic is heated btw.
Emilio
Silent But Deadly

Post by Emilio »

StoneyGherkin wrote:Regardless of the method, whenever anyone cleans a .22 suppressor, lead is coming out of it, no matter the method. Brush, cloth, dip or ultrasonic cleaner.
Lead is defined as a toxic substance, and just because it might be suspended in Hornady solution does not make it any less toxic than if it's in another liquid. :wink:

When you add vinegar to lead you create lead acetate which is highly toxic and different than lead and soap/cleaner.

If you are going to use vinegar in a sonic cleaner KEEP IT IN A JAR or you have a toxic mess. :wink:

Other methods are much safer. :wink:
Member of the LSU, SWR, and RUGGED underground. Shame Silencerco!
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Delasangre4231 wrote:Sweet I was hoping to put my Falizero AR15 bolt in the get the caked on carbon off near the gas rings.

No need to soak it in "the dip" for carbon fouling. :wink:
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
marcus99
Senior Silent Operator

Post by marcus99 »

I've tried 50/50 purple power/water in my RCBS ultrasonic cleaner at 140 degrees for 1.5hrs to remove lead from the core of a Liberty Mystic after firing lead 9mm reloads and my experience echos that of others...it didn't do s--t to remove the lead but did a great job of removing carbon. What a few other guys recommended, and what i may try at some point, is placing the baffles and the DIP in a spaghetti jar that I'll then place in the ultrasonic cleaner which is filled with water to match the level of the DIP in the jar. I havent done that yet, but I'm thinking it will give the benefits of both cleaning methods while making cleanup easier (i.e. DIP is confined to jar and doesnt touch the ultrasonic cleaner).

I bought some CMJ 147gr bullets with a covered base specifically for suppressed shooting, but they were double what lead bullets cost me, so i'm still trying to figure out a way to shoot lead and not have a cleaning nightmare.