Specwar or Saker

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderators: Kenny_SilencerCo, Andrew@Silencerco

JimmyB
Silent Operator

Specwar or Saker

Post by JimmyB »

I’ll be building an SBR and need to order a Specwar or Saker as soon as possible.

The SBR will have a 8.5” barrel and, for better or worse, I want to use a rifle length hand guard. This will mean the hand guard has to be taken off to remove the suppressor. This really isn’t much of an inconvenience to me.

Some have said if you want to have the suppressor inside the hand guard, you need to use the Saker.
Is this true?

Also, is it better to run a muzzle brake or a flash hider for an SBR with a can
mars
Senior Silent Operator

Re: Specwar or Saker

Post by mars »

Omega
the POWPOW now goes powpow
ugareloader

Post by ugareloader »

The saker MAAD mount can be tightened down with one hand and you would not have to remove the handguard. The specwar and omega asr mount has a lock ring that has be tightened near the back. This would require the handguard to be removed
ugareloader

Post by ugareloader »

Sorry forgot to say that all 3 would work if you wanted direct thread and not a qd system
RJT
Silent But Deadly

Post by RJT »

Brake for sure. It acts as a replaceble sacrificial blast baffle.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

What caliber? If it's 5.56, an Omega is not rated for barrels shorter than 10"...
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

The ASR is a latched mount, so no go for the specwar and omega. Unless you direct thread the omega.

The saker MAAD mount will work. Just be aware that it can sometimes be difficult to remove after extended shooting. Might need to remove the handguard anyway to apply enough torque.

Would actually recommend looking at the new Sandman-L from Dead Air (improved MAAD mount design/concept), but if you're in a hurry the Saker won't disappoint.
JimmyB
Silent Operator

Post by JimmyB »

The SBR will be for a 300 BLK, 8.5"bbl and subsonic only. I have other rifles if I want supersonic.
If the suppressor goes on another rifle in the future, it needs to be rated for the .308 Win

I would definitely want to go with a muzzle brake. If the suppressor ends up going to 308, it'll make the swap much easier

rimshaker
I'll certainly take a look at the Sandman-L
Thanks for the heads up
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Either the Specwar or Saker will work on the short 300 BLK barrel. The Specwar will not go on one handed. It is longer. The Saker will go on with one hand but will be a wee bit louder.

Am very impressed with the Specwar on a 12.5" 308 Win barrel and a 16" bolt rifle barrel. Have used the Saker on 5.56 and 6.8 so far. Very impressive on those short barrels ... but not quite as efficient as the Specwar.

Both are fine cans. The Saker is great for shorter!
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

If it's going to be subsonic only, I would investigate 9mm pistol can sound performance and wear when used with .300blk subs. Pistol cans will be a hell of a lot lighter than a .30 Specwar and, since you aren't going to be shooting without the can, you can use a threaded mount with some Rocksett.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

I bought the Saker after seeing all the specs and such but now it seems all the support and newer items coming out are for Specwar mounting systems. I like the way the Saker mounts, it seems easier because you grab the whole can, not some little locking ring to mount/dismount it. Its easier for me to take a silicone mitt and grab the whole can than some 3/4" wide locking ring. The Omega is a different version of the Specwar to me, I haven't shot it yet but will soon and I plan on using my Saker that day as well. I would say if your going to buy 1 can for silencerco then buy into the Specwar/Omega system but if your going to buy 1 then the Saker is nicer. Those mounts are driving me crazy and its the main reason I'm looking outside of Silencerco for my next Can. I know they sell different mounts but seriously guys, pick a damn mount. I love your company but I have already gone to the range with a Saker can and a Specwar can and ended up not shooting because it was a Suppressed only shoot. I hate having to buy extra stuff just to complete my $1100, 13 month long wait purchase, its frustrating. But your mileage may vary, BTW dont take this the wrong way, I love my Saker and my Specwar but I'm trading my Specwar off for a Saker now, just waiting for the papers to clear. all because they want to be cute with swapping systems.

Didn't want to say Dead Air on their area but yeah, my next will most likely be Dead Air but for one that stays on, not detachable because I'm stuck with 9 Flash Hiders and Brakes if I do. Even though the Brakes are nice by themselves, never been a flash hider kinda guy, even in the Military, used a Surefire brake on my rifle and put the can on it when shooting at night.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

My 8.5" 300 BLK SBR wears a TROS 3 lug adapter and I use an Octane 9 HD or Octane 45 on it. Works fine for a confined spaces rig though not as quiet as it would be with a good 30 cal can.

TROS may not list the 5/8x24 thread adapter but they do make a run of them every once in a while.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

Joker31D wrote:I bought the Saker after seeing all the specs and such but now it seems all the support and newer items coming out are for Specwar mounting systems. I like the way the Saker mounts, it seems easier because you grab the whole can, not some little locking ring to mount/dismount it. Its easier for me to take a silicone mitt and grab the whole can than some 3/4" wide locking ring. The Omega is a different version of the Specwar to me, I haven't shot it yet but will soon and I plan on using my Saker that day as well. I would say if your going to buy 1 can for silencerco then buy into the Specwar/Omega system but if your going to buy 1 then the Saker is nicer. Those mounts are driving me crazy and its the main reason I'm looking outside of Silencerco for my next Can. I know they sell different mounts but seriously guys, pick a damn mount. I love your company but I have already gone to the range with a Saker can and a Specwar can and ended up not shooting because it was a Suppressed only shoot. I hate having to buy extra stuff just to complete my $1100, 13 month long wait purchase, its frustrating. But your mileage may vary, BTW dont take this the wrong way, I love my Saker and my Specwar but I'm trading my Specwar off for a Saker now, just waiting for the papers to clear. all because they want to be cute with swapping systems.

Didn't want to say Dead Air on their area but yeah, my next will most likely be Dead Air but for one that stays on, not detachable because I'm stuck with 9 Flash Hiders and Brakes if I do. Even though the Brakes are nice by themselves, never been a flash hider kinda guy, even in the Military, used a Surefire brake on my rifle and put the can on it when shooting at night.

Is there another company that has only used one mount style? I know both AAC and Surefire have way more mounts than SCo.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

I'm not really mad about the amount of mounts, just the way it was presented, When the Saker came out they said look at our new mount, its so much better than our old mount, then they used the same old mount on the next can that they said was not as good. Just felt like I got the old bait and switch from them. The Saker mount is really nice, I just wish they used it on everything instead of swapping on the new stuff to an old system they said was outdated. I want to buy an Omega or Specwar in 556 or even another 762, I just am not going to buy it if they make me buy all new mounts. For that fact I might as well buy another brand now that Dead Air has their stuff out.

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

I use a specwar on my thread on 7 1/2" 300 BLK SBR with 7" carbine rail. The rail is a tad bit longer than the barrel. I just screw an ASR into the can and lock it down then thread the silencer onto the barrel threads and hand tighten down the silencer as tight as I can. Works every time..
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
savagetactical
Silent Operator

Post by savagetactical »

Joker31D wrote:I bought the Saker after seeing all the specs and such but now it seems all the support and newer items coming out are for Specwar mounting systems. I like the way the Saker mounts, it seems easier because you grab the whole can, not some little locking ring to mount/dismount it. Its easier for me to take a silicone mitt and grab the whole can than some 3/4" wide locking ring. The Omega is a different version of the Specwar to me, I haven't shot it yet but will soon and I plan on using my Saker that day as well. I would say if your going to buy 1 can for silencerco then buy into the Specwar/Omega system but if your going to buy 1 then the Saker is nicer. Those mounts are driving me crazy and its the main reason I'm looking outside of Silencerco for my next Can. I know they sell different mounts but seriously guys, pick a damn mount. I love your company but I have already gone to the range with a Saker can and a Specwar can and ended up not shooting because it was a Suppressed only shoot. I hate having to buy extra stuff just to complete my $1100, 13 month long wait purchase, its frustrating. But your mileage may vary, BTW dont take this the wrong way, I love my Saker and my Specwar but I'm trading my Specwar off for a Saker now, just waiting for the papers to clear. all because they want to be cute with swapping systems.

You do realize that you can get the Saker in an ASR mount right? Silencerco is a pretty easy company to work with, when I bought my Saker they did not have a problem with me swapping my MAAD mount for a 51T mount for free when I asked.
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

I was told at SHOT a couple years back that the Saker's mount was the best and that they are going to use it for all of their new stuff but then the Omega came out and it uses the Specwar style mount, I already invested in the flash hiders and Brakes for the Saker because it is easier to take on and off, I guess if I buy an Omega I could see if they would swap the mount, I know they are pretty easy to deal with. I called them about a piston for my blackout and When I asked about why they didnt include a coupon for a free one we found I had paid 400 over retail and that my "dealer" had taken advantage of me back when I ordered it, the dealer also took 13 months to submit my paperwork, my last biz I did with them I had to watch them like a hawk because they tried holding the paperwork so he could use my Suppressor as bait to sell others, I went in unannounced and walked in to find a sales person handing my Saker across the counter to a 17 year old employee to shoot in their bullet trap to show "Customers, really just other kids, too young to buy one" Now, I'm going to have to travel across the state to get a discount (Retired Vet) from a different shop that I hopefully can trust. I live in the state with over 1.3 million carry permits, very few public ranges, few reputable dealers and now I heard the other day that my state has the most Class III items in the US. I'm just wondering how with the lack of dealers here. I tried getting a barrel threaded a while back, the only guy around for 200 miles looked at me like I had 3 heads, he asked why I wanted the muzzle threaded then tried to talk me out of having it threaded, saying "they will never legalize Silencers" I didnt have enough time to fight the forces of stupidity that day so I took my rifle and am presently looking at buying a new threaded barrel.

jimbo45
Silent Operator

Post by jimbo45 »

Joker31D wrote:I was told at SHOT a couple years back that the Saker's mount was the best and that they are going to use it for all of their new stuff but then the Omega came out and it uses the Specwar style mount, I already invested in the flash hiders and Brakes for the Saker because it is easier to take on and off, I guess if I buy an Omega I could see if they would swap the mount, I know they are pretty easy to deal with. I called them about a piston for my blackout and When I asked about why they didnt include a coupon for a free one we found I had paid 400 over retail and that my "dealer" had taken advantage of me back when I ordered it, the dealer also took 13 months to submit my paperwork, my last biz I did with them I had to watch them like a hawk because they tried holding the paperwork so he could use my Suppressor as bait to sell others, I went in unannounced and walked in to find a sales person handing my Saker across the counter to a 17 year old employee to shoot in their bullet trap to show "Customers, really just other kids, too young to buy one" Now, I'm going to have to travel across the state to get a discount (Retired Vet) from a different shop that I hopefully can trust. I live in the state with over 1.3 million carry permits, very few public ranges, few reputable dealers and now I heard the other day that my state has the most Class III items in the US. I'm just wondering how with the lack of dealers here. I tried getting a barrel threaded a while back, the only guy around for 200 miles looked at me like I had 3 heads, he asked why I wanted the muzzle threaded then tried to talk me out of having it threaded, saying "they will never legalize Silencers" I didnt have enough time to fight the forces of stupidity that day so I took my rifle and am presently looking at buying a new threaded barrel.
I assume you're in FL. If you are in the Tampa area let me know and I can give you the name of a reputable dealer. If not give silencershop.com a try. They are nice people and I've personally ordered four suppressors from them.