SWR Octane HD 3 lug adapter spring sticking

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderators: Kenny_SilencerCo, Andrew@Silencerco

Senorx

SWR Octane HD 3 lug adapter spring sticking

Post by Senorx »

I have an AR 9mm with a 5 inch TROS 3 lug barrel and SWR Octane. I use a SWR 3 lug adapter to mount the Octane. Today I removed the Octane for maintenance and now the spring in the adapter stays compressed when putting the Octane back on. Is this a known issue with the 3 lug adapter? What kind of grease should I use on the adapter spring? I'm using Aerosal grease and its squeaky clean. No amount of grease keeps the spring from sticking now. I'm basically left with a non-functioning adapter. I have contacted Silncerco and waiting on a response.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Re: SWR Octane HD 3 lug adapter spring sticking

Post by eastern_hunter »

I have two 3 lug adapters but neither see much heavy use. How many rounds does yours have on it?

Will be most interested in the SiCo followup with you!
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

I have a good buddy who has had the exact problem since it was new. He has owned it since first available from Si co.

The round count is very low(less than 200) due to it sticking every time he tries to use it. So we just use my trident 9 with 3 lug. It has never stuck.
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

The 3 lug adapter has to be disassembled for deep cleaning.

It simply unscrews in half but you will need a proper wrench that fits those holes for leverage:

http://www.amazon.com/Armstrong-34-204- ... B00004WBHK
Senorx

Post by Senorx »

It's squeaky clean and greased up. It's still sticking. I have the same issue with mine as your buddy. I don't have over 200 rounds on it because it sticks all the time now. It found its way to the back of the safe because I just don't trust the mount now. Lately I've been wanting to shoot it, so I'm finally coming around to addressing the mount issue. As of the time of this post, SilencerCo has not responded to my email. Gonna give a full 24 hours.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

So you've fully disassembled it, cleaned it, and still sticking? Strange.

Silco is very slow responding to emails. Best bet is just call them up first thing in the morning.
Senorx

Post by Senorx »

rimshaker wrote:So you've fully disassembled it, cleaned it, and still sticking? Strange.

Silco is very slow responding to emails. Best bet is just call them up first thing in the morning.
It's been disassembled numerous times. I put a fresh coat of Aerosal grease on it yesterday. As soon as I pressed down and turned it so it could lock, it was stuck in the compressed position. So frustrated with it already. I really want to buy the Griffon, but I spent some coin on this adapter and it's not working properly. Really hoping SilencerCo makes it right.
dan_h
Silent Operator

Post by dan_h »

I had the identical problem...also on a Tros barreled AR upper w low round count. And I fully disassembled it And regresased it. Now it works marginally better. However, I do now have replacement springs on order from SRI (!!). Looking forward to seeing if that makes a difference.
CanOfWhooppass
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanOfWhooppass »

I'm guessing the collar has to be binding up on something for the spring to stay compressed. Are any of the surfaces marred? Finish removed? The gunsmith in me just wants to polish something.
It's not a silencer, it's a can of whoopass!
Senorx

Post by Senorx »

dan_h wrote:I had the identical problem...also on a Tros barreled AR upper w low round count. And I fully disassembled it And regresased it. Now it works marginally better. However, I do now have replacement springs on order from SRI (!!). Looking forward to seeing if that makes a difference.
What kind of grease are you using? Could I be using the wrong grease? The spring doesn't need to go in one way, right? It can be flipped around. Both ends look the same to me
dan_h
Silent Operator

Post by dan_h »

Senorx wrote:
dan_h wrote:I had the identical problem...also on a Tros barreled AR upper w low round count. And I fully disassembled it And regresased it. Now it works marginally better. However, I do now have replacement springs on order from SRI (!!). Looking forward to seeing if that makes a difference.
What kind of grease are you using? Could I be using the wrong grease? The spring doesn't need to go in one way, right? It can be flipped around. Both ends look the same to me
The grease I'm using is Coastal (brand) Premium Moly EP Grease. Moly grease is specified in the SWR manual (page 11) for their 3 lug mount.
Senorx

Post by Senorx »

dan_h wrote:
Senorx wrote:
The grease I'm using is Coastal (brand) Premium Moly EP Grease. Moly grease is specified in the SWR manual (page 11) for their 3 lug mount.
When will the SRI springs be ready? I just contacted them too.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Only way I can think of for the spring to bind is heavy carbon/lead buildup. On the steel insert and/or the spring itself.

The steel insert and spring are both stainless. If you clean them using the dip method (which would get them squeaky clean) everything should work again.
Senorx

Post by Senorx »

rimshaker wrote:Only way I can think of for the spring to bind is heavy carbon/lead buildup. On the steel insert and/or the spring itself.

The steel insert and spring are both stainless. If you clean them using the dip method (which would get them squeaky clean) everything should work again.
What is this "dip method"? Like an ultrasonic cleaner or just let it sit in some CLP?
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

The "dip" is a 50/50 mix of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. Both harmless household items you can get at any $1 stores.

However, when mixed together it literally dissolves lead. Turns carbon into mush also. The liquid mixture becomes lead acetate... highly toxic stuff.
Long-cuff nitrile gloves, tongs, and face mask are mandatory. Proper disposal needs to be at a Hazmat facility or landfill.

The dip is the most effective, cheapest way of cleaning baffles and pistons. Unfortunately it's also the most dangerous. No kids or pets around.
Must be stainless steel though; no aluminum or titanium.
Senorx

Post by Senorx »

rimshaker wrote:The "dip" is a 50/50 mix of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. Both harmless household items you can get at any $1 stores.

However, when mixed together it literally dissolves lead. Turns carbon into mush also. The liquid mixture becomes lead acetate... highly toxic stuff.
Long-cuff nitrile gloves, tongs, and face mask are mandatory. Proper disposal needs to be at a Hazmat facility or landfill.

The dip is the most effective, cheapest way of cleaning baffles and pistons. Unfortunately it's also the most dangerous. No kids or pets around.
Must be stainless steel though; no aluminum or titanium.
Roger that. I'll give it a try. SilencerCo has yet to answer my email. I'll just call them.
Sigproshooter
Silent But Deadly

Post by Sigproshooter »

rimshaker wrote:Only way I can think of for the spring to bind is heavy carbon/lead buildup. On the steel insert and/or the spring itself.

I use the dip on my .22 cans and it is fantastic.

But the problem with these mounts is a design/build issue. I have never had this issue with my trident mount. And it has been shot WAY more than <200 rounds.

Cleaning and lube are not the problem here. My buddy just doesn't use this mount on his fantastic can, and that is sad.

Damn good thing I have my Trident with a 3 lug I guess.
Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death.
Sun Tzu
Senorx

Post by Senorx »

Crickets chirping from SilencetCo. I have yet to receive a reply to my email.
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

Senorx wrote:Crickets chirping from SilencetCo. I have yet to receive a reply to my email.
They are at the NRA Show.
Senorx

Post by Senorx »

AlabamaPaul wrote:
Senorx wrote:Crickets chirping from SilencetCo. I have yet to receive a reply to my email.
They are at the NRA Show.
So nobody left to answer an email? Nine days and counting. No response, so I guess I'm calling them. I kinda annoyed.

EDIT: Called SilencerCo. It took less then 5 minutes to explain my issue and a new adapter is being shipped out at no charge. I'm happy now. Great customer service. I'm guessing the email failed or was lost in the shuffle.
BigWonton

Post by BigWonton »

Senorx wrote:
Senorx wrote:
When will the SRI springs be ready? I just contacted them too.
Can you guys provide more details about the SRI spring? I looked around but couldn't find any info about it.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Unless you're emailing a specific person, always call instead and save the wasted time.
I learned the hard way already from both Silco and AAC.
dan_h
Silent Operator

Post by dan_h »

SRI = Stalking Rhino...suggest you call or contact them regarding spring and related 3 lug components...they're currently building a batch of SWR parts. Btw they're also on fb. Good luck!
Senorx

Post by Senorx »

dan_h wrote:SRI = Stalking Rhino...suggest you call or contact them regarding spring and related 3 lug components...they're currently building a batch of SWR parts. Btw they're also on fb. Good luck!
I emailed them too and zero response. LOL. I'll call SRI on Tuesday.
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

You'll have better luck calling SilencerCo.