SWR QD3K Extant?

Company specific discussions and announcements.

Moderators: Kenny_SilencerCo, Andrew@Silencerco

Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

SWR QD3K Extant?

Post by Selectedmarksman »

I'm shopping for the best performer for a sub-gun suppressor to be hosted on an MP5-clone. Testing Mr. Silvers did five years ago put the QD3K at the top of the heap. There is precious little information about contemporary offerings to guide me, but I do know SWR as a company is top notch and would feel a little easier about venturing into the unknown if it was made by SWR.

Is the QD3K still made? If so how does it compare in terms of cost and performance to the Trident 9 on a sub-gun platform? If it is not still made, does SWR still have the tooling to provide service for existing ones if I could find a dealer who still had one?

Thanks for everything, guys, this search has me nervous as I can only afford to buy once.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

I got a good deal on a QD3k awhile back. I find it slightly quieter on my MP5K clone than my EVO9 with triad.
ETA:I get blowback on both, but neither really has noticeable FRP. You may consider something larger if it's available.
"You'll put yer eye out with that thing"

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

How's the gas blow-back, and is that a new or old core Evo? I wasn't aware of how little data and publicity there was for sub-gun cans until I started looking for one. Must not be a large portion of the market.

Thanks, apochachuva
Henry Graham
Industry Professional

Post by Henry Graham »

The QD3k is comparable to the Trident. About a year into Trident production we realized we were selling very few QD3ks so we discontinued the QD3k. It was a good can but the Trident is a little shorter and everyone wanted the modular mount feature of the Trident. We can still service a QD3k if needed.
Rugged Suppressors
Travelers Rest SC
ruggedsuppressors.com
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

Selectedmarksman wrote:How's the gas blow-back, and is that a new or old core Evo? I wasn't aware of how little data and publicity there was for sub-gun cans until I started looking for one. Must not be a large portion of the market.

Thanks, apochachuva
inside it gets bad unless I take it slow or jam a piece of cardboard between the deflector and receiver. The paper turns black after a bit. Outside is perfectly fine even with no wind. And yes I'm using the suppressed locking piece and my bolt gap is correct. Soundwise I say it's like a loud staple gun. If I fire through a port at a match typical shot timers don't register the shots with the qd3k.

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

I'm pretty sure te evo is old. It was ordered by my dealer for me in August 2007.

Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Many thanks to you both, it sounds like I should be considering the Trident 9 then. It's a solid performer and is quite possibly the single most beloved suppressor out there from what I've seen on these boards. I found a Demo QD3K for a great price, but the added versatility of the Trident system is extremely appealing.

I really appreciate the first hand input, apochachavua. I never have much money in my 'fun fund' so I sweat and worry over every purchase. Having folks like you hear really aids in peace of mind.
:D
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

FWIW I love my Trident. I dont have any subguns but it sounds good on my G17 which is not the quietest host. I will wait a long time to get another 9mm can when they get a lot quieter.
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
colblaster
Silent But Deadly

Post by colblaster »

I have both a QD3K and the Trident.

In terms of performance they both sound very similar to me.

My Trident has the LID for use on pistol as well as the 3-Lug mount for use on the MP5 and Max-11.

The QD3K is only used on the 3 lug guns.

Looking at the dimensions and the baffles, the actual baffle stack seems to me to be very, very similar.
[list]
[*]SWR QD3K
[*]SWR Trident 9
[*]AAC M4-2000 Mod 08[/list]