8+ Months for a Form 3?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Bobaganusche

8+ Months for a Form 3?

Post by Bobaganusche »

On October 29, 2013, I ordered a Specwar 762 and a Spectre II from my local gun shop. I also ordered an Octane HD 45 FDE from Silencer Shop because my gun dealer could not order the fde color. The form 3 from Silencer Shop cleared in exactly 4 weeks, but to this day the other two have not cleared yet. I have pestered my gun dealer nearly every week, and he assures me that all the paperwork was submitted the same day I ordered them, and that "this is a typical wait time". I know that's not true because of the Octane clearing in 4 weeks, but I don't know what I can do to ensure that we are truly just waiting on the ATF. He says he doesn't know the serial numbers, so I can't call the ATF, and I have called SilencerCo, but they said that although this is an unusually long wait time, they can't check into it because all their stuff goes through a 3rd party distributor. If anyone knows anything I can do, or has any info on why this is taking so long, I would greatly appreciate it. At this rate i will have my stamp for the Octane before I even submit paperwork on the other two.
"I did it for me. I liked it. I was good at it. And I was alive." - Heisenberg
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Re: 8+ Months for a Form 3?

Post by 66427vette »

Your dealer is full of s--t. Get your money back find new and find new dealer. Where are you located?
Bobaganusche

Post by Bobaganusche »

I did ask him about cancelling the orders and just buying them from Silencer Shop, since they had them in stock for cheaper than his price. He said that since the paperwork was already submitted, he could not cancel the order. Also, he charges a $100 transfer fee for suppressors not bought through him. I am in Missouri, and he is the only Class 3 dealer for at least 100 miles that I know of.
liquidsniper
Senior Silent Operator

Post by liquidsniper »

I just dealt with a similar situation. Ordered a Surefire Mini 762 back in December of 2013 through my dealer from RSR Group which showed as in stock on RSR's website. End of April I began to ask my SOT what was up. He placed a call to RSR and didn't get much info out of them. Kept calling and asking him to follow up, which he did in his defense. Form 3 finally showed up on Friday June 27th, 2014. Filing date of the Form 3.... May 7th, 2014. :evil: :evil: Get on your dealer to check that the paperwork was actually filed by the transferor.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Only buy from a local dealer if they have the can physically in stock right in front of you. Otherwise head over to Silencer Shop.

Having the local dealer place an order to the manufacturer, or some other place, is the worst path to take. 8 months so far for a F3.... ridiculous. You should've had an approved F4 and have the cans in hand by now.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Let me guess they are in st charles .I am local to you . Messaged you my number. Ifit is who I think it is I hear from guys like you every week. I have all that stuff instock.
Bobaganusche

Post by Bobaganusche »

I forgot to mention earlier that about 7 weeks ago he said that the Spectre papers had been approved and that he had the serial number, so I went ahead and sent off the form 4. However, the suppressor hasn't come into his store yet, and the ATF hasn't even cashed the check. So I went and talked to him over the weekend, and he said that he had been on the phone with both the distributor and the ATF, and they told him that the forms had been approved, but that the ATF was holding the suppressors because his FFL was in the process of getting renewed. He assured me that both suppressors should be arriving any day now, but at this point I have no idea when they will actually show up.
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Wow man. Find a new dealer for future transactions.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

You might have screwed yourself over sending forms in. I would not believe a word he is saying.. ATF does not hold cans more smoke being blown your way.
Bobaganusche

Post by Bobaganusche »

I really hope I haven't screwed myself by sending those forms in. I was skeptical when he told me I could send them in without him actually having the suppressor, but he said that the distributor was shipping it that same day, and that he was now the legal transferor since the Form 3 had been approved. However, that was nearly 2 months ago now. I really think I'm stuck now - the ATF has my check but hasn't cashed it, even though I've looked at tracking sites and they've been cashing checks within 2 weeks of sending papers - and I can't cancel my order for the specwar because he insists that the paperwork is already submitted, so he will be stuck with it if I cancel.

On top of all that, he has now left for a vacation and won't be back until the 20th, so I guess I'll have to wait a while longer. :(
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Bobaganusche wrote:I really hope I haven't screwed myself by sending those forms in. I was skeptical when he told me I could send them in without him actually having the suppressor,
Big red flag right there. Just his mentality of it all. And even IF that were true, then he should've been able to show you a copy of the approved F3 (email, fax, phone pic, anything) which would show the serial# of the can. But the can should physically be in his possession, for you to fondle with also, before mailing out the F4.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

I am90 miles for you with them in stock. Would have been worth the drive .:) good luck
DMY
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DMY »

Wow. My Form 3 transfer took almost 3 months and I thought that was a long time!
Bobaganusche

Post by Bobaganusche »

Ok, so I've talked to my dealer again, and he swears up and down that the distributor filed the Form 3s as soon as he ordered them. I stayed in the store as he called them to ask about it. He also asked them why they haven't shipped the Spectre II yet, and all they said was they would look into it. He also called the ATF about not having cashed my check yet, and they said they would ask the person who signed for the envelope, and if he couldn't find it I would have to send in another Form 4 and check. However, I don't know if I should do that again, or if I should wait until he actually has the Spectre in the store.

On a happier note, I called the ATF about the status of the Octane 45, and they said I should expect to have the stamp by September 1. At least I'll finally have something to show for all that money I spent.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Demand a refund. Use a "real" dealer next time. Could of had it in hand by now.
Bobaganusche

Post by Bobaganusche »

Ok, I know it's been a while, but I've continued to check in with the gun dealer about my suppressors. The ATF officially said that they never received my Form 4 for the Spectre, so I have voided that check. I told the dealer that I did not want to send another form until he actually had it in his shop, and the next day he called me and said that the distributor told him that BOTH suppressors were on the truck and on their way. That was 2 weeks ago today. I really don't think that they could be on a truck for 2 weeks and still not be here.

I also asked rather insistently if I could get a refund and buy them on Silencer Shop. He again reminded me of the $100 transfer fee, and that he couldn't do it because then he would be stuck with the suppressors when they come in.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Still holding on .:) Call it a lesson learned and go elsewhere. They sound like the dealer across town who has had guys waiting almost 2 years for items.
Bobaganusche

Post by Bobaganusche »

Well it's official - I picked up my Octane today! :lol: I still haven't seen the other 2 suppressors, but at least I now have something to play with. I'll post a picture when I can.
Bobaganusche

Post by Bobaganusche »

Ok, here it is as promised! My brand new Octane 45 on my FNP 45 Tactical! Sorry for the low quality picture, I had to use my cell phone camera.
ex95B10

Post by ex95B10 »

It's now August 26th and I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to hear how this story ends..
Any updates on your other cans?
"Weather is here, wish you were beautiful"
rimshaker
Silent But Deadly

Post by rimshaker »

Great looking setup. Now go show your dealer how you literally have the Octane in hand.... and clobber him with it.
Bobaganusche

Post by Bobaganusche »

ex95B10 wrote:It's now August 26th and I'm on the edge of my seat waiting to hear how this story ends..
Any updates on your other cans?
When I went in to pick up the Octane, he was rustling through a UPS package that did have some suppressors in it, but they weren't mine. He said that they shipped him two packages, and the other one is supposed to have mine in it. According to him it will be there by the end of the week. I'll keep my fingers crossed! :roll:
Bobaganusche

Post by Bobaganusche »

Well it's been a couple weeks, and big surprise - my suppressors are still not here. I've been going in to the store twice a week to check, and every other time he says that he got a package from that distributor, but they were for someone else. I was actually in the store one day when UPS showed up, and I watched him unpack some suppressors from the box.

At this point I've only got about 45 days left until the anniversary of when I ordered those 2 suppressors. I still don't understand how I ordered all 3 on the same day, and I haven't even seen 2 of them yet.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

They will not be there 2 months from now either . Guy is a hack .
Bobaganusche

Post by Bobaganusche »

Well, finally some good news for once! I went in to my dealer yesterday, and lo and behold my Spectre II was sitting there on the shelf! Also, according to him, the Specwar 762 is labeled as shipped on his account, and should be in any day now. Now if I can just get the ATF to not lose my application for the Spectre that I've sent in twice now, I can start counting the days until it is in my safe.