Registering an AOW as an SBS

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Raptor0683

Registering an AOW as an SBS

Post by Raptor0683 »

How exactly does one go about registering an AOW as an SBS? I thought I had seen on here multiple times that you just had to put "Short Barrel Shotgun" in box 4b of the Form 4 (rather than AOW) and pay the $200 tax instead of the $5, but I searched the forum and can't find anything now.

My dealer sent one in for me a few months ago, but I got a notice in the mail today from BATFE that the "firearm description varies with our records"...."we show this to be a AOW not SBS". So, now I am trying to figure out how to get this thing registered as an SBS.

I have this Mossberg 590A1 14" sitting at my class 3 and I'd really like to be able to put a short LOP stock on it once it's got a stamp. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Registering an AOW as an SBS

Post by Bendersquint »

Raptor0683 wrote:How exactly does one go about registering an AOW as an SBS? I thought I had seen on here multiple times that you just had to put "Short Barrel Shotgun" in box 4b of the Form 4 (rather than AOW) and pay the $200 tax instead of the $5, but I searched the forum and can't find anything now.

My dealer sent one in for me a few months ago, but I got a notice in the mail today from BATFE that the "firearm description varies with our records"...."we show this to be a AOW not SBS". So, now I am trying to figure out how to get this thing registered as an SBS.

I have this Mossberg 590A1 14" sitting at my class 3 and I'd really like to be able to put a short LOP stock on it once it's got a stamp. Any help is greatly appreciated.
If it is registered as an AOW the only way to transfer it as an SBS is to unregister it in the NFRTR and once you receive confirmation that it is no longer an AOW then you can drop the Form4 to register it as an SBS.

No way other way around it.

Get ready for the long haul wait, this isn't a fast process.
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Post by mpallett »

Bendersquint wrote:
Raptor0683 wrote:How exactly does one go about registering an AOW as an SBS? I thought I had seen on here multiple times that you just had to put "Short Barrel Shotgun" in box 4b of the Form 4 (rather than AOW) and pay the $200 tax instead of the $5, but I searched the forum and can't find anything now.

If it is registered as an AOW the only way to transfer it as an SBS is to unregister it in the NFRTR and once you receive confirmation that it is no longer an AOW then you can drop the Form4 to register it as an SBS.

No way other way around it.

Get ready for the long haul wait, this isn't a fast process.
Can't he complete the transfer as the AOW for $5, then file a F1 making it a SBS?
Or if the dealer is an 07 have them make the AOW into an SBS?

Either way the end user will still be out $200 for the transfer.

I would just cancel the transfer, sell the AOW, and buy a Mossberg (actually maverick arms for the NFA) SBS.

I have one that I did Surbu style. I need to get a folding stock for it. Looks silly, but I have fun with it.

- Mathew
Over weight Telco guy with a FFL/07 for hire :)
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

mpallett wrote: Can't he complete the transfer as the AOW for $5, then file a F1 making it a SBS?
Or if the dealer is an 07 have them make the AOW into an SBS?

Either way the end user will still be out $200 for the transfer.

I would just cancel the transfer, sell the AOW, and buy a Mossberg (actually maverick arms for the NFA) SBS.

I have one that I did Surbu style. I need to get a folding stock for it. Looks silly, but I have fun with it.

- Mathew
Gotta be removed from the registry first. It's a painful process and not a big deal for an 07 to get done but for a non-licensee I would say just buy the gun you want from the get go, if your dealer doesn't have it I guarantee someone else does.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

Never thought about this one. Good to know. thanks Matt and Matt

Someday I shall have a red stamp...... someday. :)

Matt
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

Bendersquint wrote: If it is registered as an AOW the only way to transfer it as an SBS is to unregister it in the NFRTR and once you receive confirmation that it is no longer an AOW then you can drop the Form4 to register it as an SBS.
There is no requirement to "unregister" a firearm that is no longer in an "NFA" configuration.

ATF states as much at https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/nation ... tification. They are addressing SBRs / SBSs, but the same would apply to an AOW, as there are no additional requirements for AOWs vs. SBR/SBS.

Q: Is it necessary to send notification to ATF and receive acknowledgement that the SBR or SBS has been removed from the purview of the NFA before it may be sold as a GCA firearm?
There is no requirement for the possessor of a registered NFA firearm to notify ATF that the firearm has been removed from the purview of the NFA. However, ATF recommends the possessor notify the NFA Branch of such changes in writing so that the possessor is not mistakenly identified as the owner if the firearm is later used in a crime. If, at the time of transfer, the firearm does not meet the definition of a SBR, it should be transferred without filing the NFA transfer application and without payment of the transfer tax.

If one were to try and transfer an AOW as an SBS, I would expect ATF to kick it back. But there should be no issue taking an existing AOW and submitting a Form 1 to "make" it into an SBS.
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

Garrett wrote: If one were to try and transfer an AOW as an SBS, I would expect ATF to kick it back. But there should be no issue taking an existing AOW and submitting a Form 1 to "make" it into an SBS.
I agree. Also, unless you're adding a longer barrel to the gun in the mean time, 'unregistering' an AOW would leave you (or your dealer) with an illegal NFA item. (an unregistered AOW)

Simply submit the F1 to make the SBS, and when it comes back, add the stock.