Kriss SBR?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

gremlingarage

Kriss SBR?

Post by gremlingarage »

Does anybody know where to find a replacement folding stock for a Super V? I want to get a the pistol and SBR it.
Doc Holiday13

Re: Kriss SBR?

Post by Doc Holiday13 »

They sell an sbr version fyi and it would save you from having to engrave it
kusai
Silent Operator

Post by kusai »

I tried doing the same thing, it ain't worth it. Changing the stock is damn hard on KRISS, save yourself some time and just go buy an SBR.
Doc Holiday13 wrote:They sell an sbr version fyi and it would save you from having to engrave it
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

My understanding is that they won't sell you or send you a stock. It has to go to the factory with your approved tax stamp before they will convert it.

That turned me off since I had a great deal for a Kriss pistol and I think thiey wanted like $300 for the stock if I remember correctly. That made my great deal not a great deal.

They also would have required me overnight the pistol for conversion since it was in hand gun configuration.

This was like 3 years ago so who knows if they have changed they methods.

I would say buy a factory SBR if you can swing it!
gremlingarage

Post by gremlingarage »

Yeah, still havent figured out where to engrave it. A friend of mine wanted to sbr his carbine Kriss and called them about it. They (Kriss) told him to do a form 1, I told him that didn't sound right. He talked to them a few more times and Kriss convenced him that a form 1 was what he was supposed to do. He sent off his paper work, got his form 1 stamp, and shipped the gun to Kriss. Kriss call him and said "we cant do anything with this. You weren't supposed to do a form 1". Really!?!?! They said if he got it engraved and chopped off the barrel, he could send it to them and they would replace the barrel as a "repair". But anyway, yeah, factory sbr sounds like the easiest way.

Bender,
Any ideas where and how to engrave it? We were thinking of doing it like the original markings but on the opposite side. Mill a "window" through the plastic and engrave the metal underneath.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

gremlingarage wrote:Yeah, still havent figured out where to engrave it. A friend of mine wanted to sbr his carbine Kriss and called them about it. They (Kriss) told him to do a form 1, I told him that didn't sound right. He talked to them a few more times and Kriss convenced him that a form 1 was what he was supposed to do. He sent off his paper work, got his form 1 stamp, and shipped the gun to Kriss. Kriss call him and said "we cant do anything with this. You weren't supposed to do a form 1". Really!?!?! They said if he got it engraved and chopped off the barrel, he could send it to them and they would replace the barrel as a "repair". But anyway, yeah, factory sbr sounds like the easiest way.

Bender,
Any ideas where and how to engrave it? We were thinking of doing it like the original markings but on the opposite side. Mill a "window" through the plastic and engrave the metal underneath.
Why doesn't a Form1 sound right? That is the proper form to make a rifle a SBR.

They are correct in that it has to be engraved and they can't legally convert it to an SBR, THEY are not the manufacturer. What he needs to do is get it engraved and hacksaw the barrel, then send it in THEN they can replace the barrel with the approved length barrel since they are only repairing the item.

I would engrave it anywhere on the actual receiver(the part that bears the serial number). I wouldn't personally mill away and of the plastic unless you have an xray showing where there is and isn't metal. Would suck to mill it away and find it is an area that has NO metal underneath. Since you are not the manufacturer of the receiver you are not required to engrave into metal. Only the serial number is required to be engraved in metal(Think Glocks and M&P's etc...). Out of sight, out of mind(but wholly unobstructed).
gremlingarage

Post by gremlingarage »

The form 1 was not right because he was sending the carbine to the original manufacturer (Kriss). Kriss is making the sbr. The form 1 was for my friend to make the sbr.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

gremlingarage wrote:The form 1 was not right because he was sending the carbine to the original manufacturer (Kriss). Kriss is making the sbr. The form 1 was for my friend to make the sbr.
So KRISS was going to register the SBR, then transfer it to his dealer then wait for ATF approval?

If that was the case there should have been no form involved to get them to SBR it and they never should have said anything about Forms, just needed to know what SOT was handling the transfer in SBR format.

Where did he get Form1 from?
gremlingarage

Post by gremlingarage »

The point is that he was sending it to Kriss so that they could replace the barrel and he would not have to engrave it because they are manufacturing the sbr and this was discussed with them but they still told him to do the form 1.
Bendersquint wrote:If that was the case there should have been no form involved to get them to SBR it and they never should have said anything about Forms, just needed to know what SOT was handling the transfer in SBR format.
This is why I said it did not sound right...

Are you saying that the only manufacture's info that has to be engraved in metal is the serial #? Thats not how I read it, but I see your point with some of the poly guns. So why all the talk about marking requirements on people's NFA stuff? You can't just scratch your name, city and state onto the inside of the mag well on your AR to do an sbr. Doesn't have to be visible without taking anything apart?

The outside of the Kriss is COMPLETELY covered with plastic. Are you suggesting to engrave the inside of the receiver or to engrave the outside on the plastic?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

gremlingarage wrote:The point is that he was sending it to Kriss so that they could replace the barrel and he would not have to engrave it because they are manufacturing the sbr and this was discussed with them but they still told him to do the form 1.
Bendersquint wrote:If that was the case there should have been no form involved to get them to SBR it and they never should have said anything about Forms, just needed to know what SOT was handling the transfer in SBR format.
This is why I said it did not sound right...

Are you saying that the only manufacture's info that has to be engraved in metal is the serial #? Thats not how I read it, but I see your point with some of the poly guns. So why all the talk about marking requirements on people's NFA stuff? You can't just scratch your name, city and state onto the inside of the mag well on your AR to do an sbr. Doesn't have to be visible without taking anything apart?

The outside of the Kriss is COMPLETELY covered with plastic. Are you suggesting to engrave the inside of the receiver or to engrave the outside on the plastic?
Only the manufacturer of the serialized component is required to engrave the SERIAL NUMBER in metal, there are no requirements for the other required markings as far as metal or plastic.

NFA stuff has to be engraved as well, just doesn't have to be in metal(except serial number). This is how there are SBR Glocks, and polymer AR-SBR's.

The ATF does have requirements for engraving. According to the ATF, all markings must be "wholy unobstructed from view".

I am saying you need to engrave the outside of the receiver, any manufacturer markings(your buddy is the mfg of the SBR) must be wholly unobstructed from view. Has to be visible without having to remove components.

Also look at it this way, if you could legally mark it so the markings were hidden then why don't you see commercial manufacturers hiding all the required markings?
gremlingarage

Post by gremlingarage »

Bendersquint wrote:Also look at it this way, if you could legally mark it so the markings were hidden then why don't you see commercial manufacturers hiding all the required markings?
That was my point.
Bendersquint wrote:This is how there are SBR Glocks, and polymer AR-SBR's.
OK, but the Kriss receiver is not polymer. The plastic could be taken off and you would still have functional receiver. Therefore, plastic does not = receiver.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

gremlingarage wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:Also look at it this way, if you could legally mark it so the markings were hidden then why don't you see commercial manufacturers hiding all the required markings?
That was my point.
Bendersquint wrote:This is how there are SBR Glocks, and polymer AR-SBR's.
OK, but the Kriss receiver is not polymer. The plastic could be taken off and you would still have functional receiver. Therefore, plastic does not = receiver.
Then it would need to be engraved twice, once on the outside of the receiver(wholly unobstructed), and another on the ACTUAL receiver itself.

With this, it might be a good thing to mill a opening so your receiver markings are visible, save you a set of engravings.
gremlingarage

Post by gremlingarage »

Bendersquint wrote:With this, it might be a good thing to mill a opening so your receiver markings are visible, save you a set of engravings.
That's a good idea. I'll have to consider that.
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

A fella in our local area bought a Kriss SBR before they originally decided not to release them to the public (a position they eventually changed). Got to shoot it at one of the little events we have once in a while.

Neat piece ... little muzzle rise ... but a surprisingly brisk push to the rear when fired.

Frankly much more impressed by the HK USC legally converted to a semi-auto UMP by HDPS! Lots of fun to beat the crap out of pepper poppers with one!
GlocksInMySocks
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlocksInMySocks »

I had the carbine and sent it to Kris's to convert it to the SBR. After over a year, I finally got my weapon back. I'm sure it would take even longer now the way wait times are going.
Don't be an internet tough guy...
gunningbadger
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunningbadger »

I'm at 5 months pending on mine. Hopefully I'll have it soon and can post up a review of it. After lots of cans this will be my first sbr. I can seriously not wait.