did the LE sign off go away?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

nickeldicker
Silent Operator

did the LE sign off go away?

Post by nickeldicker »

i remember talk of the le signoff going away in late 2012...that ever happen?

thx
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: did the LE sign off go away?

Post by Bendersquint »

nickeldicker wrote:i remember talk of the le signoff going away in late 2012...that ever happen?

thx
Nope it never happened, and probably won't.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

In the letter that I sent my sheriff last week, I pointed out that FineSwine's bill would require all firearms to go into the NFA which would certainly increase the workload of his agency. I'm sure that many sheriffs aren't real happy at that thought.

ETA - I lose track of which waste of skins is which sometimes.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

bakerjw wrote:In the letter that I sent my sheriff last week, I pointed out that Pelosi's bill would require all firearms to go into the NFA which would certainly increase the workload of his agency. I'm sure that many sheriffs aren't real happy at that thought.
You mean Feinstein?

That would be a huge bit of revenue for local law enforcement. I am sure they would welcome it. Less time on the road fighting for 2mph over the speed limit tickets!
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

Bendersquint wrote:
bakerjw wrote:In the letter that I sent my sheriff last week, I pointed out that Pelosi's bill would require all firearms to go into the NFA which would certainly increase the workload of his agency. I'm sure that many sheriffs aren't real happy at that thought.
You mean Feinstein?

That would be a huge bit of revenue for local law enforcement. I am sure they would welcome it. Less time on the road fighting for 2mph over the speed limit tickets!
?

How so. Do SOs in your area charge for signoff? never heard of anyone doing that.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

renegade wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:
You mean Feinstein?

?

How so. Do SOs in your area charge for signoff? never heard of anyone doing that.
Yes I have been in jurisdictions that charged to signoff on Form1/4's. Gotta pay for the fingerprints, the background checks and signature.

SO's in my area don't really signoff anyways.

You can't tell me that Departments knowing that there is a mandatory registrations of millions of guns that they wouldn't impose a fee to do all the paperworks, you are talking reams and reams and reams of papers coming in. Officers don't work for free.

Dept's would be stupid to not get on that revenue train, easy guaranteed money!

Already spoke with 2 Sheriff Depts that made it clear that they were going to charge a minimum of $50 for each form signed. Said it will be some good positive revenue to help pay for all the overtime.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Bendersquint wrote:...Less time on the road fighting for 2mph over the speed limit tickets!
Have you ever received a ticket for 2 over?
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

continuity wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:...Less time on the road fighting for 2mph over the speed limit tickets!
Have you ever received a ticket for 2 over?
Yes, received one for 2mph over the posted speed limit, was in a school zone after a football game in high school, many years ago. The cop hated us and would hit everyone he could, wrote tickets as fast as he could talk.
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

When I was stationed at Ft. Campbell the city of Clarksville, TN would have "zero toleance" weeks on 41A to raise awareness/promote safety (read: raise revenue). It wasn't uncommon to get ticketed for 2-3mph over.

In all fairness they "advertised" well ahead of time and just the sheer number of patrol cars was a pretty good deterrent, but cross a line or break a speed limit or fail to signal or any other very minor offense & chances were you were got a ticket.
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

So what if your local law enforcement has gone digital and the sheriffs DEPT. is also going digital? Does the BATF have a solution for that?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

M40A1308M wrote:So what if your local law enforcement has gone digital and the sheriffs DEPT. is also going digital? Does the BATF have a solution for that?
How do you mean "gone digital"?
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Good grief!!! Sorry I asked. 2 over is within OEM speedometer error on most vehicles. 1st year law students will beat that ticket. Culture shock :shock: !!!

I've heard (cough) of places that until you're 10 over, not in a pack and easy to run down, you just draw attention... unless you're actually passing the cruiser, and even then a probable written warning. Getting hit at 15 over will warrant a turn, and unless it's for a good reason... a ticket. (good reason = lack of creative story with no apparent recalcitrance, or a " do you know who I am, what's your badge number?", attitude.) At 20+, you've earned it. I don't care if you're Mary fuckin Poppins.

Even the OSP road nazi's live by the motto "Under 9 everything's fine. Over 9, you're all mine." And those guys are like machines.

2 Over??? Our Law Director wouldn't even take the ticket. And would send a "what da F--k" note to the Sheriff.

You guys need to move.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

M40A1308M wrote:So what if your local law enforcement has gone digital and the sheriffs DEPT. is also going digital? Does the BATF have a solution for that?
Huh... what ??? BTW, the Sheriff has an "Office", not a "Department".
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

Sorry had the flu. Yes our Sheriffs DEPT. and notice I said DEPT. the sheriff him self holds office as he is elected. But our DEPT's here are doing all digital scanning of finger prints and have done away with the old ink and paper.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

continuity wrote:At 20+, you've earned it. I don't care if you're Mary fuckin Poppins.
LOL.

My last encounter was in Buncombe county N.C. coming down off of Buckner Gap. It's a steep grade decline about 5 miles long and I had the car in 5th gear with my foot off of the gas. The trooper was a great guy. I could tell by the way that he hopped out of his car that he was expecting an attitude but I was respectful as always and showed him my carry permit. After he realized that I wasn't some punk or drug runner type he got laid back about the whole deal. He ticketed me for 15 over so I wouldn't have to make a court appearance and suffice to say I was grateful.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

continuity wrote:Good grief!!! Sorry I asked. 2 over is within OEM speedometer error
You guys need to move.
I got pulled over for 56 in a 55 once on the way back to college. A cruiser pulled in behind me on the highway and followed me for almost 5 miles before clicking on the lights. Asked if I knew why he pulled me over, I always love that basic IQ test they give :D . Eventually let me go with a "warning".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

M40A1308M wrote:Sorry had the flu. Yes our Sheriffs DEPT. and notice I said DEPT. the sheriff him self holds office as he is elected. But our DEPT's here are doing all digital scanning of finger prints and have done away with the old ink and paper.
Its no different for the ATF, my last 8 sets of fingerprints were all digital, and it worked just fine. Updated my clearance and everything!

Doesn't have to be a ink smudge to be valid, just a good image of the fingerprint.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

M40A1308M wrote:Sorry had the flu. Yes our Sheriffs DEPT. and notice I said DEPT. the sheriff him self holds office as he is elected. But our DEPT's here are doing all digital scanning of finger prints and have done away with the old ink and paper.
Yeah, I noticed the dept. thing. The Sheriff has/holds an elected office, and Deputy's are "Sheriff Insitu", meaning that presence, no matter what location, is of the Sheriffs Office. At least here anyway. Jurisdiction includes entirety of the county the Sheriff is elected in. By agreement between other Ohio county Sheriff's Offices (via Buckeye State Sheriff's Association), jurisdiction in associated counties.

Local's are attached to a "department", ie., "X"PD. Jurisdiction limited by borders specific to the local gov. (city, town, villiage, township) they serve in. Distinction is, local PD's are headed by an appointed or hired position.

The Ohio State Patrol, third LE entity in Ohio, all get trained on Mars. No dept. or office. Just OSP. Jurisdiction limited to State property (and aircraft crashes) only, and is by county Sheriff agreement. Rumor has it they aren't sworn. They get a chip implanted.

All that relative the technical position that Ohio prefers authority be vested in an elected office.

Our office has been doing prints electronically for... 10 years? There are several chioces of print type, criminal, applicant, etc. The gizmowitchery fingerprinting device is attached to a printer that will spew out a hard copy, or two, as requested. When initialized as an applicant print , the information and fingerprints are printed correctly on the ATF/NFA cards. If the applicant provides information as to where, electronic transmittal is available.
CMV
Silent But Deadly

Post by CMV »

doubloon wrote:
continuity wrote:Good grief!!! Sorry I asked. 2 over is within OEM speedometer error
You guys need to move.
I got pulled over for 56 in a 55 once on the way back to college. A cruiser pulled in behind me on the highway and followed me for almost 5 miles before clicking on the lights. Asked if I knew why he pulled me over, I always love that basic IQ test they give :D . Eventually let me go with a "warning".
I always think the answer to that question should be something along the lines of "because there's no real crime out there for you to be spending your time on?" or "because you're a dick". :)

I learned the hard way how NOT to answer that question when I was 19. I was flying up the interstate. I saw a PA state trooper with a car pulled over, lights on. Genius I am, I figure he's busy with that guy & not paying attention to anyone else. Besides, it's too late & I'm going way too fast anyway so may as well just keep it hammered.

About 10 min later, there he is in my rearview. Was the typical question but asked in a different way: " do you know HOW FAST you were going!!!!" Not really a question, more of a pissed off statement. Well, being the genius I am, I replied "I don't know - my speedometer only goes to 110". Somehow he managed to yank me out of the car with my seatbelt still on...

I was sure I was getting an ass kicking - he was genuinely angry. I can't imagine how fast he had to go to catch me. I was going at least 100mph the whole time after passing him - the speedo pegged at 110 so maybe faster. But surprisingly I didn't get hauled off to jail & didn't get the beating I was sure was coming after he yanked me from the car. Big ticket & license suspended for a while & I learned my lesson - both about the speed & mouthing off.
--------------------------------------

"Sorry but you cannot use search at this time. Please try again in a few minutes"
"This board is currently disabled"
These things make me :(
beanfield33

Post by beanfield33 »

Just saw this linked on another blog today.

http://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgend ... =1140-AA43

Title: Background Checks for Principal Officers of Corporations, Trusts, and Other Legal Entities With Respect to the Making or Transferring of a National Firearms Act Firearm
Abstract: The Department of Justice is proposing to amend the regulations of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) regarding the making or transferring of a firearm under the National Firearms Act. The proposed regulations would (1) add a definition for the term "responsible person"; (2) require each responsible person of a corporation, trust or legal entity to complete a specified form, and to submit photographs and fingerprints; (3) require that a copy of all applications to make or transfer a firearm be forwarded to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) of the locality in which the maker or transferee is located; and (4) eliminate the requirement for a certification signed by the CLEO.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

beanfield33 wrote:Just saw this linked on another blog today.

http://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgend ... =1140-AA43

Title: Background Checks for Principal Officers of Corporations, Trusts, and Other Legal Entities With Respect to the Making or Transferring of a National Firearms Act Firearm
Abstract: The Department of Justice is proposing to amend the regulations of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) regarding the making or transferring of a firearm under the National Firearms Act. The proposed regulations would (1) add a definition for the term "responsible person"; (2) require each responsible person of a corporation, trust or legal entity to complete a specified form, and to submit photographs and fingerprints; (3) require that a copy of all applications to make or transfer a firearm be forwarded to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) of the locality in which the maker or transferee is located; and (4) eliminate the requirement for a certification signed by the CLEO.
Already discussed in a few other threads here.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

CMV wrote:...But surprisingly I didn't get hauled off to jail & didn't get the beating I was sure was coming after he yanked me from the car. Big ticket & license suspended for a while & I learned my lesson - both about the speed & mouthing off.
ROFL... Don't be mislead. He LIVES for high speed pursuits. If he was in a Crown Vic it was max chipped for 140+ a tad. Don't get me wrong, a 10 min run at that speed puts adrenaline levels off the chart. By the time he ran you down he was ready to chew your drivers side door off. Being a troop his "anger" was more of an act, evidenced by the no actual ass kicking and no reckless op charge. LOL... comes from years of "exhibiting situation control behavior". Was making sure your wise guy stuff crawled back up your butt hole.

Too funny. If it's any consolation, he probably carried an adrenaline headache for the rest of the shift after he turned you loose.

Peace.
beanfield33

Post by beanfield33 »

Bendersquint wrote:
Already discussed in a few other threads here.
My bad....going on a few hours sleep. Didn't see it else where.
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

Well well put I will march over and demand that huge sign that say's Sheriffs DEPT. and they road signs be removed that say Sheriff's Dept this way with a arrow. LOL No offense on how you do things in your area I think ours is a dept due to the fact the building they occupy in compass a lot of things going on.

Thanks for the digital fingerprints info. I think our local dept. is just pushing back on something they don't believe the should or know how to do. i will see the chief this weekend and try and have a chat with him on a different way of doing things and see if he responds.