MP5K registered as an AOW can it be registered as an SBR?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

504ranger
Silent But Deadly

MP5K registered as an AOW can it be registered as an SBR?

Post by 504ranger »

Fellas I'm looking at getting an HK SP89 re-marked and converted to an MP5K (work done by S&H) and a NIB HK Operational Briefcase. My question is, the K is currently registered as an AOW (IOT be used in conjunction with the case) but obviously I can't put a stock on it so I was wondering if I decide to buy the package could I register the K as an SBR down the road so I could put a stock on it?

Thanks.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: MP5K registered as an AOW can it be registered as an SBR

Post by Bendersquint »

You can deregister it as an AOW then register it as an SBR.

Long process but doable. Do realize that it will cost you another $200 stamp to reg as an SBR.
504ranger
Silent But Deadly

Post by 504ranger »

Okay thanks for the quick reply Bender. I knew it would be another stamp plus engraving and I'm starting to think it wouldn't be worth the hassle. If I bought a registered sear down the road making it a MG it would trump AOW and SBR so I could add a stock correct?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

504ranger wrote:Okay thanks for the quick reply Bender. I knew it would be another stamp plus engraving and I'm starting to think it wouldn't be worth the hassle. If I bought a registered sear down the road making it a MG it would trump AOW and SBR so I could add a stock correct?
Your AoW should already be engraved! If it is not then you are in wrong as we speak.

Yes if you bought a sear then it would trump the aow when installed and you can add the stock. Just must be returned back to an AOW configuration upon removal of the sear.

The hassle should be nothing more than a new stamp.
504ranger
Silent But Deadly

Post by 504ranger »

:D no worries it's engraved already. It's a guys selling the package on a F4 in CO. I haven't bought anything yet. Just looking at my options down the road. I have to convince the wife first. Good thing it's tax return time
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

504ranger wrote::D no worries it's engraved already. It's a guys selling the package on a F4 in CO. I haven't bought anything yet. Just looking at my options down the road. I have to convince the wife first. Good thing it's tax return time
Have him deregister it and then its just a pistol....then when you get it through you FFL then register it as an SBR.

Will save a $200 stamp and months of waiting.

Downside is that it will have the original markings, his markings and then your markings on it.