300BLK FTF issues, pics inside

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

pjlord28

300BLK FTF issues, pics inside

Post by pjlord28 »

I cant seem to catch a break with my 300BLK gun. any help is appreciated.

specs

M4 upper
10.5 alpha shooting sports barrel
pistol gas
h2 buffer
ramps look fine and matched.

every few rounds this happens. i cant see a burr on the breach of the barrel, but it makes me want to use a cratex cone and a dremmel and give that edge a little love.. the gun seems to eject and run fine, i think the H2 buffer and current gas port size is correct. any ideas would be helpful!

L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Re: 300BLK FTF issues, pics inside

Post by L1A1Rocker »

I've had the exact same problem with the same barral. The bevel leading into the chamber is missing. I've been working on this but have not been able to fully work out the issue do to planting season. I've been in comunication with Alpha but they say it is an ammo problem. Please see these posts on the blk forum. You may wish to weigh in and post your pics on the Alpha barral thread where Johnny is responding to my posts.

My thread: http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtop ... 36&t=82582

Alpha's thread: http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtop ... ow#p780070
pjlord28

Post by pjlord28 »

L1A1Rocker wrote:I've had the exact same problem with the same barral. The bevel leading into the chamber is missing. I've been working on this but have not been able to fully work out the issue do to planting season. I've been in comunication with Alpha but they say it is an ammo problem. Please see these posts on the blk forum. You may wish to weigh in and post your pics on the Alpha barral thread where Johnny is responding to my posts.

I will contact alpha as well. I only shoot factory loaded stuff because i don't reload yet. The picture I posted was somebody else's on AR-15.com, but i literally am having the same issue.

thanks for posting on 300blk talk.com I dont have a user name on there yet..
pjlord28

Post by pjlord28 »

L1A1Rocker wrote:I've had the exact same problem with the same barral. The bevel leading into the chamber is missing. I've been working on this but have not been able to fully work out the issue do to planting season. I've been in comunication with Alpha but they say it is an ammo problem. Please see these posts on the blk forum. You may wish to weigh in and post your pics on the Alpha barral thread where Johnny is responding to my posts.

just got an email from alpha saying they are going to send me a shipping label to send it back.. that was fast!

so far so good customer service wise. i am impressed.
Decal
Silent Operator

Post by Decal »

I should get my 10.5 and do two things, one take a look at the ramp and then put together and try it out.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Only barrels worth bringing home are noveske and AAC.
pjlord28

Post by pjlord28 »

66427vette wrote:Only barrels worth bringing home are noveske and AAC.
Well, if this doesn't work then a Noveske barrel is in my future.

So far Alpha shooting sports has been very responsive, willing to fix the issue, and they are sending me a shipping label. So we will see.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

pjlord28 wrote:

just got an email from alpha saying they are going to send me a shipping label to send it back.. that was fast!

That's good to hear. I prolly should have gone that rout rather than fix it myself. It is odd though, that the Alpha rep on blktalk keeps making suggestions to try because it is not a problem with the barrel :roll:

What happened with the guy on arfcom that posted the picture?
pjlord28

Post by pjlord28 »

L1A1Rocker wrote:
pjlord28 wrote:

That's good to hear. I prolly should have gone that rout rather than fix it myself. It is odd though, that the Alpha rep on blktalk keeps making suggestions to try because it is not a problem with the barrel :roll:

What happened with the guy on arfcom that posted the picture?
not sure, i emailed him though...
pjlord28

Post by pjlord28 »

here is a picture of the barrel extension

Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

Post by Unobtanium »

Id trust Daniel defense equal or more.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Try and shoot the cast 247 in the Dan def with the 1 in 8. Not 100% stable. Fail on their part. Give it 6 months when they run out of blanks they will switch like the other big boys. D
Agree they make great stuff 99% percent of the time.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Well, after being absent from 300BLKtalk for a month the Alpha rep FINALLY showed up with this to say:
Sorry about the delay in my response. With the increased sales & call volume it's hard for us to respond to all forum requests timely.

Bottom line, if you have a problem with with our barrels give us a call or e-mail and we will take care of you. We do offer a warranty on our barrels against defects in manufacturing and malfucntions. We will repair or replace your barrel provided you have made no modifications to the barrel.
http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtop ... 53#p782253

This was my response:

So you put an out of spec barrel in spec you wash your hands of it. I fixed the chamber throat myself. It still does not have the proper radius on the chamber entrance. But because I fixed the throat Alpha has washed its hands of me, very convenient for you.

So Alpha is fine with out of spec barrels out in the market? No recall? No investigation as to how this happened? I guess it's all good with all those sales going on, that's what's important right? So what if some of them are going out not to specification.

Weigh Alpha's concern for quality control against other manufactures folks. When Palmetto State Armory had a problem they investigated why. Then when they found out why, they issued a recall. They called EVERY person that had a barrel with a potential problem and paid to have it shipped back for inspection. Alpha says, call us if you have a problem.

My barrel HAD too short of a throat, evidenced by my pictures. You all know the potential problem with that, and when it rears it's ugly head what the results are. Be sure to give Alpha call after that happens. I'm sure they will first ask if you were using reloads.

I regret doing business with Alpha and will warn others about their quality control and lack of concern for it. Any one want to buy an Alpha made stainless steel tent stake?

BEWARE OF ALPHA BARREL'S!!! All of you with an Alpha barrel would be well served to have your chamber checked.
Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

Mike Rock's barrels are damn nice. But i may have gotten one of the last ones of his 300 BLK. im sure they would make more to special order.
pjlord28

Post by pjlord28 »

so alpha contacted me after about 2 weeks since i shipped the barrel back, they said they put a radius on the chamber entrance, cycled a rounds through it with no issue. i asked to have them black oxide the barrel too while they had it. they offered to do it free of charge. should be back in a week or so.. we will see what happens..
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

I'll take a Paladin Machine Services bbl any day of the week!!! He does REALLY nice work.
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

L1A1Rocker wrote:Well, after being absent from 300BLKtalk for a month the Alpha rep FINALLY showed up with this to say:
Sorry about the delay in my response. With the increased sales & call volume it's hard for us to respond to all forum requests timely.

Bottom line, if you have a problem with with our barrels give us a call or e-mail and we will take care of you. We do offer a warranty on our barrels against defects in manufacturing and malfucntions. We will repair or replace your barrel provided you have made no modifications to the barrel.

This was my response:

So you put an out of spec barrel in spec you wash your hands of it. I fixed the chamber throat myself. It still does not have the proper radius on the chamber entrance. But because I fixed the throat Alpha has washed its hands of me, very convenient for you.

So Alpha is fine with out of spec barrels out in the market? No recall? No investigation as to how this happened? I guess it's all good with all those sales going on, that's what's important right? So what if some of them are going out not to specification.

Weigh Alpha's concern for quality control against other manufactures folks. When Palmetto State Armory had a problem they investigated why. Then when they found out why, they issued a recall. They called EVERY person that had a barrel with a potential problem and paid to have it shipped back for inspection. Alpha says, call us if you have a problem.

My barrel HAD too short of a throat, evidenced by my pictures. You all know the potential problem with that, and when it rears it's ugly head what the results are. Be sure to give Alpha call after that happens. I'm sure they will first ask if you were using reloads.

I regret doing business with Alpha and will warn others about their quality control and lack of concern for it. Any one want to buy an Alpha made stainless steel tent stake?

BEWARE OF ALPHA BARREL'S!!! All of you with an Alpha barrel would be well served to have your chamber checked.
Nice. So that hasn't elicited a response from them? Pretty chickenshit if you ask me.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

rockman96 wrote:
L1A1Rocker wrote:Well, after being absent from 300BLKtalk for a month the Alpha rep FINALLY showed up with this to say:

This was my response:

Nice. So that hasn't elicited a response from them? Pretty chickenshit if you ask me.
Nope, not a word. Apparently they are too busy with business to have even checked back on the 300BLKtalk forum.

I really hope they figured out why they were/are? having barrels go out not to specification. I just cannot believe that they are not being pro-active in finding, and fixing, the bad barrels that are out there. NOT a company I want to EVER do business with.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Seen a couple of issues locally with their product. Cheaper to buy right the first time.