How is this legal?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

BISHOP
Silent But Deadly

How is this legal?

Post by BISHOP »

http://tacfirecon.com/

Couldn't this just be considered a DIAS -- BUT its ATF approved as non-NFA.

BISHOP
The Rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in, gives way.....
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: How is this legal?

Post by Bendersquint »

BISHOP wrote:http://tacfirecon.com/

Couldn't this just be considered a DIAS -- BUT its ATF approved as non-NFA.

BISHOP
So was the Akins Accelerator.

They haven't posted the letter yet so we have no idea what it says.

As you know an ATF Opinion letter is only valid to the person it is written to and most of the time it isn't even worth the paper its written on.

Based on the description I have read on it it is legal.....but at the same time based on the description of the Akns Accelerator that is legal as well but the ATF deems otherwise.

Basically I am saying don't waste your money on it since you will most likely be forced to surrender it to the .gov in the near future.
dan9591
Silent But Deadly

Post by dan9591 »

I'm not a FA guy, but I would totally take a gamble and buy this for an MP5 clone if they decide to make one...
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

dan9591 wrote:I'm not a FA guy, but I would totally take a gamble and buy this for an MP5 clone if they decide to make one...
Have you heard of Akins?

It wouldn't work as they built it on a MP5 anyways. Different firing system.
firstsgtsteiner
Silent Operator

Post by firstsgtsteiner »

anyone come across a price estimate anywhere on the interwebs?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

firstsgtsteiner wrote:anyone come across a price estimate anywhere on the interwebs?
$500 MSRP
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

Watch at around the 44 second mark on the video. It appears the trigger fires the rifle once when you pull it, and fires it again when you release. I believe there has been an ATF-approved trigger like this for the Mini-14 that has been around for a couple of decades. On that one, ATF deemed pulling the trigger was one function, and releasing it was another function. Only one shot per trigger function is a non-machinegun.

Or at least that was the ATF's opinion on the Mini-14 trigger way back when.

Then again as Bender notes, the Akins Accelerator had been approved and only fires once per function of the trigger.

The thing these guys have going for them is 2 decades of precedent set by ATF allowing the Mini-14 pull-release trigger. I wish I could remember the name of that one.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Garrett wrote:... It appears the trigger fires the rifle once when you pull it, and fires it again when you release. ...
So it's not possible to fire one shot?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

doubloon wrote:
Garrett wrote:... It appears the trigger fires the rifle once when you pull it, and fires it again when you release. ...
If it works like that description then NO it is not.
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

doubloon wrote:
That's what the selector does... but in the 'auto' mode it would fire again on release.

Too bad it's so spendy, the mini-14 thingy is still available for like $25. Of course, it's just a tiny piece of bent wire.
Gagtoe

Post by Gagtoe »

It looks like the 3rd mode is a forced trigger reset. Technically you are pulling it for every round, it's just forcing the trigger past the reset so you can just keep constant pressure on it.

If the letter passes the sniff test. I'd buy one, for cash, at a gun show.
CanNotHear
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanNotHear »

Seems cool.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

IF it sells well, let other people be the guinea pigs. Wait 8 months to a year. If the BATFE has not knocked down everyone's door who owns one, THEN it'd be time to pony up $$.

I agree, it is a fire-on-trigger-release system with the selector in auto. You're still twitching your finger like a monkey on crack to get any sort of ROF, and I'd say it's a range toy... But there's nothing wrong with toys, I've got a few!
sniper1
Silent But Deadly

Post by sniper1 »

Gagtoe wrote:I'd buy one, for cash, at a gun show.

THIS
3 weelin geezer
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3 weelin geezer »

Hmm...it shoots once per trigger pull, eh? Then...what exactly are they selling besides the fancy video? All it needs here is a that scruffy old guy from Ghost Rider leaning up against a Chevy truck and looking up at you from under a sweaty cowboy hat while chewing on a wheat stalk and playing a Takamime guitar!

If that gun doesn't go bang everytime you pull the trigger unless you pay another $500 for this useless doo-hickey then .........what good is it??
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

3 weelin geezer wrote:Hmm...it shoots once per trigger pull, eh? Then...what exactly are they selling besides the fancy video? All it needs here is a that scruffy old guy from Ghost Rider leaning up against a Chevy truck and looking up at you from under a sweaty cowboy hat while chewing on a wheat stalk and playing a Takamime guitar!

If that gun doesn't go bang everytime you pull the trigger unless you pay another $500 for this useless doo-hickey then .........what good is it??
It supposedly fires one round on the squeeze and one on release......really fast!

Its basically controlled trigger slap hopefully without the bruising.

I don't think the world goes slow motion when you are shooting at it either, would be cool though. ;)
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

It's the "Rainbow o' Brass" effect - Any device, any video, that can create the treasured brass rainbow, will appeal to boys and men alike, mall ninjas and zombie warriors.

Slow down the video to emphasize that rainbow even more.

The funny part is that when you shoot real full auto, you see no rainbow... you're looking down range. The rainbow is so that in your mind, you know others are watching and thinking "He's SO FING COOL!" :lol:
Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

Baffled wrote:The rainbow is so that in your mind, you know others are watching and thinking "He's SO FING COOL!" :lol:
Wait, are you trying to imply that I'm NOT Cool when making brass rainbows?

:lol:
Garrett
Silent But Deadly

Post by Garrett »

Tony M. wrote: Wait, are you trying to imply that I'm NOT Cool when making brass rainbows?

Don't sweat it. Sounds like someone just has rainbow envy.

Tony M.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tony M. »

Garrett wrote:
Tony M. wrote: Wait, are you trying to imply that I'm NOT Cool when making brass rainbows?

Don't sweat it. Sounds like someone just has rainbow envy.

Lots of people do. That's what mag-dumps are for, right? ;)

I admit, I tend to do mag-dumps when the camera is rolling. When shooting, it's really cool to hit multiple targets with controlled bursts, but when watching videos, mag dumps are the s--t.
3 weelin geezer
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3 weelin geezer »

Going by these descriptions, this thing is no different than the Tac trigger that had a little piece of steel band strapping and a tiny christian cross which you were supposed to jam up in front of the trigger on a 10-22. I tried that pos and all it ever did was scratch the finish on my trigger. It took waaaaay too much pressure to cam the trigger back again on the follow up shot unlike the advertisement where Lenny Mcgill just holds down the trigger and hoses down the target. When I go Wasting Ammo, all I use is my index finger to shoot my SKS.
beanfield33

Post by beanfield33 »

Garrett wrote:Watch at around the 44 second mark on the video. It appears the trigger fires the rifle once when you pull it, and fires it again when you release..
I thought the same thing. Evidently they have an auto response setup for any inquiries that loosely describes the action. It's an assisted reset as described by Gagtoe.

http://www.saysuncle.com/2013/11/23/tac ... r-trigger/
The 3MR is a drop-in 3-mode fire control system with Safe, Semi-Automatic, and Tac-Con™’s patented 3rd Mode. The 3rd mode has a positive reset that dramatically reduces the split times between shots. The positive reset characteristic is achieved by transferring the force from the bolt carrier through the trigger assembly to assist the trigger back onto the front sear. As a result, this gives the firearm the fastest reset possible. Both semi and 3rd mode positions exhibit a non-adjustable 4.5 pound trigger pull weight. Why 4.5 pounds? Because most law enforcement agencies limit any trigger used for duty to 4.5 pounds and above. Extensive testing done by Tac-Con™, the ATF (BATFE), and professional shooters have proven that this is the fastest semi-automatic trigger in the world. The 3MR is ATF approved and is NOT a NFA part. Each trigger is accompanied by a copy of the ATF letter. This is not a bump fire system. The shooter must pull the trigger once for every round fired.
telero
Silent But Deadly

Post by telero »

They now have the pre-order link available on their website, at $495 MSRP. Not sure if it'll ever get cheaper than that...

There is also a link to their ATF letter: http://tacfirecon.com/wp-content/upload ... Letter.pdf
kernelkrink

Post by kernelkrink »

I have seen photos in closeup of the trigger unit. There is a lever the hammer hits when it is shoved back by the carrier, all it does is snap the trigger forward again using that cocking force to do so. The three position selector has safe, semi, and "assisted reset" positions, semi just disables the lever action. While it works, I would think trigger slap would make your finger tingle like hell after a mag or two! The M11-NINE used a piece of rubber hose over the trigger, maybe that would help this?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

kernelkrink wrote:I have seen photos in closeup of the trigger unit. There is a lever the hammer hits when it is shoved back by the carrier, all it does is snap the trigger forward again using that cocking force to do so. The three position selector has safe, semi, and "assisted reset" positions, semi just disables the lever action. While it works, I would think trigger slap would make your finger tingle like hell after a mag or two! The M11-NINE used a piece of rubber hose over the trigger, maybe that would help this?
Making the price so its affordable is what would help this.

But they are banking on the Hughes Amendment.