How is this legal?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Prince Yamato
Silent But Deadly

Re: How is this legal?

Post by Prince Yamato »

Every manufacturer that takes a poke at the Hughes amendment thinks they have a million dollar idea.. This is probably worth $100 tops. $500 for what is basically a controlled malfunction? No chance. They'll sell a couple and ATF will shut it down like Akins. When you have only a couple owners, it's easy for your product to get pulled.
sniper1
Silent But Deadly

Post by sniper1 »

Prince Yamato wrote:Every manufacturer that takes a poke at the Hughes amendment thinks they have a million dollar idea.. This is probably worth $100 tops. $500 for what is basically a controlled malfunction? No chance. They'll sell a couple and ATF will shut it down like Akins. When you have only a couple owners, it's easy for your product to get pulled.
at $100, I would buy one for each of my AR's....at $500...I'll keep bumpfiring when I feel the need to waste ammo.
jeepjon
Silent Operator

Post by jeepjon »

At $100 I would buy several...then sell them if they worked and got popular!

At$500 I will see how this goes over the next few months with the ATF before purchasing. If I see one at a gun show and I have cash....that is another story. I would buy in a heartbeat then.

Is it really a 2 shot per pull system or one that automatically forces your finger to push the trigger again as long as constant pressure is applied?
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

AFAIK it's one shot on trigger pull, one on release. This has been legal in the past on the mini 14, IIRC.

One problem. You pull the trigger, BANG, but don't want to let even one more round go, and now the trigger is depressed on a weapon that is like a hand grenade with the pin pulled. Let go of the trigger and a round is fired. Can you clear the weapon? I don't know.
Gagtoe

Post by Gagtoe »

Baffled wrote:AFAIK it's one shot on trigger pull, one on release. This has been legal in the past on the mini 14, IIRC.

One problem. You pull the trigger, BANG, but don't want to let even one more round go, and now the trigger is depressed on a weapon that is like a hand grenade with the pin pulled. Let go of the trigger and a round is fired. Can you clear the weapon? I don't know.
Where the hell are you getting your information?
jeepjon
Silent Operator

Post by jeepjon »

I am no engineer, so please excuse any mislabeled terms. I thought this lengthened/strengthened the reset making bump firing really easy/impossible to not do. Kind of like making the trigger reset "sweet spot" really big and easy to find. I have read several reviews from truth about guns and a few other sites and this seems to be how they describe it.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

Gagtoe wrote:
Where the hell are you getting your information?
The gents on subguns determined this to be the case, I agree with their analysis, and has been legally done on other weapons in the past.

The ATF concluded that a trigger release was essentially the same as a trigger pull, and considered as "a trigger actuation."

Pull the trigger, BANG. Release the trigger, BANG.

Anyone who thinks it is a micro bump-fire mechanism built into the unit itself... well, whatever.

Prove me wrong, I'm man enough to admit when I am.
jeepjon
Silent Operator

Post by jeepjon »

http://www.thebangswitch.com/tac-con-3mr-trigger/

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2014/0 ... r-trigger/

http://cheaperthandirt.com/blog/?p=54573

The third link specifically states this is a bump fire style trigger assembly.

I don't know for sure without handling it, but nowhere in the above actual hands-on reviews do they describe this as a shoot on pull shoot on release trigger.

-Jon
jeepjon
Silent Operator

Post by jeepjon »

By the way I would buy this in a heartbeat if it was a 2 shot per pull kind of trigger like the mini-14 systems. I will check out sub guns.com to find out more. I a speculating that there is a lot of speculation about this until it hits the market.
-Jon
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

jeepjon wrote:By the way I would buy this in a heartbeat if it was a 2 shot per pull kind of trigger like the mini-14 systems. I will check out sub guns.com to find out more. I a speculating that there is a lot of speculation about this until it hits the market.
-Jon
The TacCon triggers ARE already on the market, and the reports are mixed, alot of people are saying they don't work, or they can't get it to work right.
jeepjon
Silent Operator

Post by jeepjon »

Aren't mixed reports pretty standard with most "bump fire" style systems? I hear they can be tricky to get to work and they can require a lot of practice. for $500 I would expect it to work pretty easily. you can get a slidefire stock for a lot less than the trigger.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

jeepjon wrote:Aren't mixed reports pretty standard with most "bump fire" style systems? I hear they can be tricky to get to work and they can require a lot of practice. for $500 I would expect it to work pretty easily. you can get a slidefire stock for a lot less than the trigger.
For $500 they should run like a raped ape.

They are marketing and benefiting from the Hughes Amendment.

It may be a great trigger but its fast fire mode from the reports I am seeing doesn't work as advertised.
jeepjon
Silent Operator

Post by jeepjon »

Bender....I am going to blatantly plagiarize and steal your phrase from above...I love it.

I wish they didn't have the 86 ban...but alas, machine guns are now a hobby that is much more expensive!
jdasilva
Silent But Deadly

Post by jdasilva »

It shoots slow, go with the bump fire stocks if you want the fa feel
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

The 3MR allows the shooter to simulate full-auto fire by way of a very ingenious trigger modification that’s 100% BATF legal. How the trigger works is by using the bolt carriers rearward motion to push the trigger forward thus aiding in the reset. If you hold the trigger back, it fires a single shot. If you slightly release your finger, the trigger will move forward with your finger during recoil and shorten the next pull considerably. When you go to pull the trigger again you can do so very quickly and that’s how it simulates automatic fire - See more at: http://www.thebangswitch.com/tac-con-3m ... 3Xlzk.dpuf
I stand corrected; I was wrong. I based my opinion on the expert analysis of guys who have been in the industry for decades, and from my own analysis of the videos they posted. The company itself was ambiguous about how it functioned.

I don't want tricky bump-fire stuff snuggled in my lower. The fire on release method would be better, IMO.
jeepjon
Silent Operator

Post by jeepjon »

If it was a fire on both pull and release that would be a really consistent easy to use system, and I would drop more than $500 for that!

Sucks that they don't have that.

-Jon
SpyderArms

Post by SpyderArms »

Its not like the Akins Accelerator. The reason the Akins got recalled is because the original plans submitted and approved where fine. He made design changes and the final product was not even close to the original plans. So in theory it was never approved by ATF.
SpyderArms.com
FFL 07/02
859-474-0690
[email protected]
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Bendersquint wrote:
jeepjon wrote:Aren't mixed reports pretty standard with most "bump fire" style systems? I hear they can be tricky to get to work and they can require a lot of practice. for $500 I would expect it to work pretty easily. you can get a slidefire stock for a lot less than the trigger.
For $500 they should run like a raped ape.

They are marketing and benefiting from the Hughes Amendment.

It may be a great trigger but its fast fire mode from the reports I am seeing doesn't work as advertised.

OK, so the short answer to the question, "how is this legal?" is. . . because it doesn't work.
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baffled »

If it "worked as advertised" the ATF would probably recall it as a post-86 MG.

Often, with stuff like this, right up there with Su-Press-On "Guaranteed pre-81 Drop In Auto Sears!", if it's too good to be true, it's NOT true.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Baffled wrote:
If it "worked as advertised" the ATF would probably recall it as a post-86 MG.

Often, with stuff like this, right up there with Su-Press-On "Guaranteed pre-81 Drop In Auto Sears!", if it's too good to be true, it's NOT true.
I always thought those Su-Press-On DIAS were an ATF sting operation.
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

I have one of the lowers that have the system you describe in above statements. First most of your statement above are wrong about this trigger. I am NOT going to sell you on this trigger. I bought it as to I collect all that is AR-15 and wanted just to say "I have this".
The trigger has unbelievable short and accurate reset. I have liked it in a 3 gun kinda mode.But you can buy the ATC GOLD trigger and get the same system pretty much. But I hate that gold trigger LOL I have a ATC to and it sits among all the others in the tool box of forgotten things. I personally like the Super 3 Gun trigger by Geissele . But the TACCON trigger DOES NOT FIRE as you release the trigger it only forces a reset and if you have a lose grip it will simulate full auto. And I noticed everyone is saying "it's to slow for simulated full auto", and who hear that owns REAL NFA full auto doesn't try a slow there s--t down with every gizmo on the market especially if you do full auto competition as I do.

So in closing this trigger system is different and expensive and it has its uses but as I always say this is a hobby and YOU MUST PAY TO PLAY and there is no room for being a penny pincher in this game.
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

Bendersquint wrote:Its basically controlled trigger slap hopefully without the bruising.
Exactly. Do you know how much time, effort and money I spend every year training to 'press' and 'reset' the trigger with proper form?
One weekend with that silly 'crack-monkey' thing, and years of hard work would go right down the drain. I'd be ruined!

Go from this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAgU7TfG5fU

To this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COfpoIcpDMY

"A fool and his money are soon parted." Better to spend a hard earned 500 bucks on a 1000 rd can of green tip and go train or take a class.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
M40A1308M
Silent But Deadly

Post by M40A1308M »

I understand there are many ways to pull a trigger but never heard anyone use the words "press" and "reset" in proper form before.
I would think the weapon would reset the trigger for you, how far you let the trigger move outward from reset would be up to the user. But you take a stock trigger and train all day with it, sure you will be better at shooting that gun and faster but the mechanics of the "stock trigger" still remains. I think with proper training and better equipment there will be a end result more favored than just training or just buying expensive triggers. And I'm not saying buy this thing at all . But a Rock River 2 stage is way better that the factory GI unit.