Help converting RLL to select fire with burst trigger.

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

PostalGlock'n

Help converting RLL to select fire with burst trigger.

Post by PostalGlock'n »

I want to clear the air first so no one thinks I am trying something I shouldn't be.

I am a gunsmith that has a customer with a Lightning Link. I have helped him time it, machined his bolt carriers (5.56 & 9MM) to work with this. Of course, he has to be present while I work on it, so time is of the essence. He wants to be able to select semi or FA and I have tried to modify the disconnector as described by Quarterbore using the stock AR15 parts but have not achieved a reliable result.

I am going to go the burst trigger route but have a few questions. I know I will need the burst trigger, FA disconnector, and an M16 selector. My question is should I get the burst disconnect and cut the front hook off or modify a regular AR disconnect to use the further back spring?

I hope my question is clear enough. I have worked on many NFA weapons and know how most things work as designed but this modifying work can be trying when my customers time is probably worth more than mine. :lol:

Thanks and have a good Thanksgiving.

PS. In trying to get the RLL to work semi/ FA with the stock disconnector, i tried cutting the notch and milled the selector to raise and lower the LL and found the LL could bind or catch in the notch and not rise when going from semi to FA. I think a better way is to cut a shallow curved dip that will allow the LL to raise and lower with minimal resistance. Still, i couldn't get the reliable results my customer requires. Maybe this will help someone else with the project.
continuity
Elite Member

Re: Help converting RLL to select fire with burst trigger.

Post by continuity »

Interesting. Wasn't aware that a LL application was condusive to a select fire configuration.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

PostalGlock'n wrote:I want to clear the air first so no one thinks I am trying something I shouldn't be.

I am a gunsmith ......Of course, he has to be present while I work on it, so time is of the essence.
If you are a gunsmith with an FFL(if you are not stop now and save yourself the jail time) then your customer does NOT need to be present when you are working on it.
jt526
Silent But Deadly

Post by jt526 »

I would get the burst disconnector, I think it would be far simpler to just whack off the cam hook than try and redo one.

CUT AND PASTE FROM A PRIOR POST OF MINE FOR OTHERS WHO MAY BE INTERESTED:
With the three round burst FCG, grind off sear catch on hammer, toss out three round burst ratchet, replace hammer spring with standard spring, grind the left disconnector where the link would normall hit it so that the RLL doesn't pull it back in semi. Cut of hook on front of right disconnector where it would engage the burst ratchet. M60joe posted a clear pic of which disconnectors, where to remove material and how much. Honestly it takes about 15 minutes with a ceramic cutoff wheel. I'm sure he would sell you one also.

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html? ... 3&t=242819

http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/lightninglink.html

You can see on the left that the hammer spur is gone, a little of the disconnector is shaved off on the drivers side connector, and the front hook that engages the burst cam is cut off on the passenger side disconnector. Really takes more time to type than to actually do. I also run wolf low power disconnector springs in mine, seemed to make the trigger a little smoother.

Make sure that the lower has some extra clearance, this is m60joes work, but you can see where you give the link a little room to move. Also use a KNS protector and you'll have to file down bottom of the rear takedown post.
Stupid, stupid NFA items.
PostalGlock'n

Post by PostalGlock'n »

jt526, Thank you very much. That is just what I needed. I had read about M60Joe's work but hadn't seen the picture. I have already milled the areas in the receiver.

Bendersquint wrote:

If you are a gunsmith with an FFL(if you are not stop now and save yourself the jail time) then your customer does NOT need to be present when you are working on it.
You are correct if the owner files a form 5 and sends to the ATF but that is a big pain and the work I am doing only takes minutes to maybe an hour. He and I agree it is easier to just be present, plus he wants to see how well it works. He is a friend also and we visit while I work.

Sorry for not going into every detail. Bendersquirt, I will save you the time typing, yes, I could work on it without the owner filing a form 5 or being present but I would rather the owner keep possession.
BISHOP
Silent But Deadly

Post by BISHOP »

Take a look here. Almost to the bottom of the page there is a picture and small explanation.

http://www.quarterbore.com/nfa/lightninglink.html

BISHOP
The Rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in, gives way.....
PostalGlock'n

Post by PostalGlock'n »

Thanks Bishop. I had read this but wasn't clear on the need to use the 2 hook disconnect or modify a regular disconnect. The picture from M60Joe's site made it clear to me.

Just time to order parts.

Thanks all.