.22 LR AR15 barrel - for shooting subsonic w/ bulk pack ammo

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

wacki
Silent But Deadly

.22 LR AR15 barrel - for shooting subsonic w/ bulk pack ammo

Post by wacki »

Please recommend a .22 LR barrel (both length and make) for keeping bulk pack ammo subsonic. redtazdog is no longer making .22LR barrels.

I'm searching and it looks like 5" bbl will go subsonic on some ammo but not all?!??! Anyway these are currently at the top of the list.

4" barrels here
http://taccom3g.com/AR15_PISTOL_UPPERS.html
http://taccom3g.com/AR15_PISTOL_BARRELS.html

4.75" barrels here.
http://www.beyerbarrels.com/barrels/ar15_barrels
Baffled
Silent But Deadly

Re: .22 LR AR15 barrel - for shooting subsonic w/ bulk pack

Post by Baffled »

The MAKE has little/nothing to do with velocity. Length is what you're after.

The problem is, there's no "one size works with all" as bulk HV ammo varies. I think in general if you stay below 5", you'll have success. You may have to try a few ammo brands. If in doubt, it never fails to buy and use standard velocity or target ammo. Even without sonic crack, HV ammo is louder than SV ammo due to a smidge extra powder and power.

Along these lines, does ANYONE make a Kuehl style .22 AR barrel any more? These were little works of art; an AR bbl complete with feed ramp. No "collar" needed. You stick the barrel in the upper, drop in the .22 kit, and away you go.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Baffled wrote:The MAKE has little/nothing to do with velocity. Length is what you're after.
this

and pay attention to the real barrel results at the bottom of the link not just the cut barrel results

There is not a lot of 22lr that will not be subsonic in a 5" barrel.

Also pay attention to how velocity drops after about 22"

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

I have made many 22 barrels and chopped many more and 4.5" is my vote for keeping the bulk pack hi velocity ammo subsonic.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

Baffled wrote:The MAKE has little/nothing to do with velocity. Length is what you're after.

The problem is, there's no "one size works with all" as bulk HV ammo varies. I think in general if you stay below 5", you'll have success. You may have to try a few ammo brands. If in doubt, it never fails to buy and use standard velocity or target ammo. Even without sonic crack, HV ammo is louder than SV ammo due to a smidge extra powder and power.

Along these lines, does ANYONE make a Kuehl style .22 AR barrel any more? These were little works of art; an AR bbl complete with feed ramp. No "collar" needed. You stick the barrel in the upper, drop in the .22 kit, and away you go.
Just pin the collar on the barrel, cut the notched legs off the 22 kit rails and you have a Kuehl setup.
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

And just so you are aware, the Taccom barrels in your link are tensioned. Meaning, the 'barrel' is actually just a liner that is threaded on each end, so that it can be brought under tension to keep it straight. Not saying it's good or bad (never had first hand experience), but I would lean towards a real barrel myself.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

rockman96 wrote:And just so you are aware, the Taccom barrels in your link are tensioned. Meaning, the 'barrel' is actually just a liner that is threaded on each end, so that it can be brought under tension to keep it straight. Not saying it's good or bad (never had first hand experience), but I would lean towards a real barrel myself.
Are the Beyer Match Chamber barrels tensioned? They have a liner with a Aluminum barrel.

I talked to Clint Beyer today btw, and he says he will cut any custom length. He's doing 4.5" right now but hasn't updated the website.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

wacki wrote:
rockman96 wrote:And just so you are aware, the Taccom barrels in your link are tensioned. Meaning, the 'barrel' is actually just a liner that is threaded on each end, so that it can be brought under tension to keep it straight. Not saying it's good or bad (never had first hand experience), but I would lean towards a real barrel myself.
Are the Beyer Match Chamber barrels tensioned? They have a liner with a Aluminum barrel.

I talked to Clint Beyer today btw, and he says he will cut any custom length. He's doing 4.5" right now but hasn't updated the website.
Clints barrels are not tensioned and will hold up to full auto and extreme heat very well.
They are also very accurate
Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

i wouldnt put a suppressor on a tensioned barrel. you put weight (force) on the end of a barrel in tension and you change its behavior; harmonics, accuracy, point of impact. i would overwhelmingly go with Clint Beyer.

i have a CMMG Wasp barrel cut down to 4.5" and its great at holding Bulk pack to subsonic, but i have found some fun and interesting things like where that sound barrier is on given temperature days. Needless to say, when its below 40 outside, my 4.5" barrel will not keep bulk pack subsonic.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Vagabond wrote: i have a CMMG Wasp barrel cut down to 4.5" .... Needless to say, when its below 40 outside, my 4.5" barrel will not keep bulk pack subsonic.
What altitude or which city are you at?
Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

wacki wrote:
Vagabond wrote: i have a CMMG Wasp barrel cut down to 4.5" .... Needless to say, when its below 40 outside, my 4.5" barrel will not keep bulk pack subsonic.
What altitude or which city are you at?
Altitude has absolutely no bearing on how you calculate the speed of sound. Its only depends on temperature.
IB Slingin
Silent Operator

Post by IB Slingin »

Not an AR platform, but Clint made me my .22 SBR barrel and the thing shoots lights out. I pretty much shoot CCI standard velocity exclusively. But Ive also tried other bulk ammo(Remington I think) and all of it has stayed subsonic. Good luck

Vagabond

Post by Vagabond »

IB Slingin wrote:Not an AR platform, but Clint made me my .22 SBR barrel and the thing shoots lights out. I pretty much shoot CCI standard velocity exclusively. But Ive also tried other bulk ammo(Remington I think) and all of it has stayed subsonic. Good luck

Sexy. What's the build specs on it?
IB Slingin
Silent Operator

Post by IB Slingin »

Thanks. The upper/lower/trigger/bolt are all Kidd. Barrel is a 4.5" made by Clint Beyer. The red dot is a Burris Fast-Fire III w/3 moa dot, and the stock is made by AGP that I cerakoted O.D. green. The suppressor is an AAC Element.