Ideal rail length? End of barrel? 1" from end of can?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

wacki
Silent But Deadly

Ideal rail length? End of barrel? 1" from end of can?

Post by wacki »

I'm doing a 300 BLK build. Debating what rail to throw on my 9" bbl. All my cans are either thread on or single handed QA (e.g Saker & Liberty). So I will have no problems putting the rail to 1" away from the end of the suppressor. Is this a wise choice? Has anyone had a bullet go out the can?

Just wondering what the experienced folk prefer.

related thread. It's .22LR barrel lengths & hand-guards but still good for referencing
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=84722
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Re: Ideal rail length? End of barrel? 1" from end of can

Post by eastern_hunter »

I used a 9 3/4" YHM light rail forearm with a CMMG 8.5" 300 BLK barrel fitted with a TROS 3 lug adapter for 5/8x24 thread.

The end of the bbl protrudes from the forearm by 1/2". When the Octane 9 HD2 can is mounted, the main body of the can is 3/4" from the front of the forearm. Makes for a nice SBR.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Thanks for the tips. Will have to buy a 3-lug for my mystic. That's a great idea. How is that CMMG barrel treating you? Looks like all they offer right now is 8" even.

As well as one of the adapters you mentioned here:
http://www.trosusa.com/Adapters/Adapters.htm
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

The short 1:7 twist CMMG bbl has worked fine for me with 220 SMKs and 225 Hornady OTMs. I was very careful abt concentricity and stability checks. SBR was built for subs and so I opened up the gas port to 0.120" and reliability has been good with and without the can.

Have used the TROS adapters w 9mm barrels as well. They do really nice work!
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

I don't see a TROS 5/8x24 available. Only a 1/2-28 2B

I called liberty and they weren't aware of your trick.

What all do I need to buy?
  • Triad Adapter Ring $87.50
  • TROS 5/8x24 to HK 3 Lug $???????

Is the triad adapter ring the right part?
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

E-mail the TROS folks. They make the part but only once in a while. They may have one but you may have to wait for it to be made.

Sending contact info by pm.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Thanks. Current wait time is 4 weeks. Will buy one and do a video review.

You've been a big help.

What liberty mount did you get? I assume it's called HK-3 lug and not the triad.

I have to ask, have you had any baffle strikes? I'm reading forum ar15 and they say the 3 lug wasn't designed for suppressors.

"The HK 3-lug was intended to mount a blank adapter and then a flash hider."
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html? ... 5&t=536113
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Interesting. Had not heard that before. Have had no problems with baffle strikes but have not put that many rounds through the assembly. I doubt seriously that there will be problems with baffle strikes and the 300 BLK as the clearance is significance.

Am using an Octane 9 and will be using an Octane 45 with the 3 lug adapters.

Also use the approach with 9mm and have not seen any problems there.

I do use a direct thread with the .338 Spectre but that is to provide another obvious visual reminder of it being different from the 300 BLK upper.

Would be good to ask the question on the HKPRO forum. WIll do that, but they seem to be down at the moment. Will also ask the question to SWR on their thread.
speed6
Senior Silent Operator

Post by speed6 »

I have a JSE 7" 9mm upper with a 7.2" YHM rail on my SBR. In that configuration the thread shoulder on the barrel is a bit behind the end of the rail with the threads a little beyond it. It looks great with a flash hider or can, but it makes removing the flash hider kind of tricky. You can either remove the forend OR do what I did and wrap vice-grips in duck tape and hope for the best. Luckily it wasn't on there too tight and I didnt damange the FH.

With FH installed:

with can installed:

ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

I have a 300BLK pistol with a 9.5" CORE15 barrel and am using a thread-on 30 caliber stainless (heavy as hell) Phoenix Armory can- 1.625" OD of suppressor. I had a YHM 9.2" handguard and when using it with the suppressor, about .3" went into the handguard. Recently swapped to a much lighter 13.2" Head Down Provectus (aka Seekins MCSR) keymod handguard. Very, very happy, and going with the 15" version would've been just fine too. My Mystic should be out of jail within 2 weeks. Am having a Leonidas built right now and am going with the 15" MCSR or the Provectus if I can find one. With either 15" handguard on either set up, the suppressor would stick out about 1-2" from the rails.
Bluewidowr1

Post by Bluewidowr1 »

I don't know if this helps but both of these uppers have 9" hand guards. The top is a 7.5" barrel with a Noveske KX3 that pokes out about an inch. The bottom is an 8.5" Noveske barrel with QD YHM flash hider and the can just barely extends into the hand guard.