SBR question

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

jeepjon
Silent Operator

SBR question

Post by jeepjon »

Stupid SBR question...

I have a form 1 sbr ar-15. Config as listed on form 1 is 10.5" 5.56.
I would like to get a 5.5" 9mm upper and magwell block conversion. I plan on keeping my 10.5 upper. I know if I keep that upper I am good to go with not updating ATF nfa branch.

Here's my question: if I go out to the range without being in physical possession of the original upper, am I in any kind of violation? How do you prove, if for example I got pulled over on the way back from the range, that I have a 10.5" upper for my AR. It also seems stupid that I would always have to take multiple uppers with me.

Am I just being way too picky and overthinking this?

-Jon
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: SBR question

Post by Bendersquint »

jeepjon wrote:Stupid SBR question...

I have a form 1 sbr ar-15. Config as listed on form 1 is 10.5" 5.56.
I would like to get a 5.5" 9mm upper and magwell block conversion. I plan on keeping my 10.5 upper. I know if I keep that upper I am good to go with not updating ATF nfa branch.

Here's my question: if I go out to the range without being in physical possession of the original upper, am I in any kind of violation? How do you prove, if for example I got pulled over on the way back from the range, that I have a 10.5" upper for my AR. It also seems stupid that I would always have to take multiple uppers with me.

Am I just being way too picky and overthinking this?

-Jon
You are overthinking it.

If you are disclosing what you have in your trunk at a traffic stop then you have more serious issues to worry about then explaining your upper receiver doesn't match the ATF form.

As long as can return it to its registered configuration you will be fine. The upper at your home has been considered to be readily restored.
jeepjon
Silent Operator

Post by jeepjon »

Thanks. I have never had any major issues with nfa items...but don't want any either. I have never had my forms checked by a police officer. I figure if I make sure I am not in a gray zone then I am good.

Any recommendations for a 9mm bloc, or is Hahn precision the only way to go?
I prefer having last round hold open.

Thanks,
Jon
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

jeepjon wrote:Thanks. I have never had any major issues with nfa items...but don't want any either. I have never had my forms checked by a police officer. I figure if I make sure I am not in a gray zone then I am good.

Any recommendations for a 9mm bloc, or is Hahn precision the only way to go?
I prefer having last round hold open.

Thanks,
Jon
I use Hahn top loaders in all mine. I don't worry about last round locks. When I am out its pretty easy to tell.
jeepjon
Silent Operator

Post by jeepjon »

Bender are the 9mm ar's with top loaders hard to "tune" to run right. I have heard of people having to get the feed ramps set up just so for 100% reliability.
-Jon
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

jeepjon wrote:Bender are the 9mm ar's with top loaders hard to "tune" to run right. I have heard of people having to get the feed ramps set up just so for 100% reliability.
-Jon
I have never had a problem from day one and I have had 5 of them over the years and still have 2. I can throw it on any 9mm upper and it works flawlessly.
jeepjon
Silent Operator

Post by jeepjon »

Awesome. What I wanted to hear. The top loader is nice for being able to change calibers easily.

Thanks for the advice. Always great information from you.

-Jon.
batman4706
Silent Operator

Post by batman4706 »

In 25 years of law enforcement I saw 1 tax stamp. That one was with a Sten that one of our (stupid anti gun) officers had seized. I promptly returned it and was very happy he didn't sue us.
jeepjon
Silent Operator

Post by jeepjon »

I would assume most of the people who do the "due process" of obtaining tax stamps rarely get in trouble with the law...kind of like people with ccw permits.