New MGs for Trusts?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

BISHOP
Silent But Deadly

New MGs for Trusts?

Post by BISHOP »

I am sure this has been posted before because this is a cutting edge forum, but just in case......

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014 ... ns-trusts/

BISHOP
The Rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in, gives way.....
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: New MGs for Trusts?

Post by Bendersquint »

BISHOP wrote:I am sure this has been posted before because this is a cutting edge forum, but just in case......

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014 ... ns-trusts/

BISHOP
Been posted several times.
ndcajun

Post by ndcajun »

I hadn't seen this so thanks for reposting it.... yesterday......as the trustee for my gun trust.... I bought a Daniel Defense MK18 short barrel and an m4 2000 suppressor.... I'd love to have the ability do that with a brand new full auto!
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Wishful thinking.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

66427vette wrote:Wishful thinking.
+100
raymond-
Senior Silent Operator

Post by raymond- »

Prince Law outfit has a proven track record of OMG, embellishing, and creating headlines which draw users to their site or reposting their "you heard it here, first!" breaking news articles.
raymond-
47º34'n 122º18'w
Bluewidowr1

Post by Bluewidowr1 »

Did you guys see that several people submitted for form 1 MG's and on 9/10/14 at least one was approved with several others also claiming approved.

I stole this next part from arfcom

1. ATF ruled that a trust is not a person as defined by 18 U.S. Code § 921(a) and the Gun Control Act (GCA).
2. Since ATF holds that an unincorporated trust is not a “person” under the GCA, the prohibition on the transfer or possession of machineguns as defined by 18 U.S. Code § 921(a)(1) and 18 U.S. Code § 922(o) cannot apply to unincorporated trusts.
3. Numerous (See Footnote #1) trustees submitted Form 1 applications to build new machine guns.
4. ATF approved the applications and sent out stamps (See Footnote #2).
5. On or around 9/10/14, ATF began calling trustees that received stamps demanding that they be returned, or in the case of eForms, updating their online status from Approved to Disapproved. Those that were called were told they had to return the stamp.
6. Attorneys are working on it now and are preparing the first two lawsuits.

Footnotes:
1. Current estimates put the number of trusts that applied somewhere in the low hundreds. Unfortunately, there is no 100% accurate count that is publicly available.
2. Some stamps were received as early as the first week of August 2014. Others have not been received yet.
DarkPhoenix
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DarkPhoenix »

Pipe dream of a blogger. He forgets that the BATFE is judge, jury and executioner.
danb35
Silent Operator

Post by danb35 »

DarkPhoenix wrote:Pipe dream of a blogger. He forgets that the BATFE is judge, jury and executioner.
No, a United States District Judge will be the judge, and there will be neither a jury nor an executioner. The problem (that I don't see a solution to, unless it can be successfully argued that the Hughes Amendment was never legally passed in the first place) is that, though a trust may not be a "person" under the GCA, an individual indisputably is. And, the only way my trust can make or possess an MG is for some individual to physically make and/or possess it. So, while they might not be able to successfully prosecute my trust, they can definitely prosecute me.

I'd love to be wrong here, but I haven't heard one of the lawyers behind this explain how they think they're going to get around this problem.
DarkPhoenix
Senior Silent Operator

Post by DarkPhoenix »

danb35 wrote:
DarkPhoenix wrote:Pipe dream of a blogger. He forgets that the BATFE is judge, jury and executioner.
No, a United States District Judge will be the judge, and there will be neither a jury nor an executioner. The problem (that I don't see a solution to, unless it can be successfully argued that the Hughes Amendment was never legally passed in the first place) is that, though a trust may not be a "person" under the GCA, an individual indisputably is. And, the only way my trust can make or possess an MG is for some individual to physically make and/or possess it. So, while they might not be able to successfully prosecute my trust, they can definitely prosecute me.

I'd love to be wrong here, but I haven't heard one of the lawyers behind this explain how they think they're going to get around this problem.
Figuratively speaking obviously. To quout the Matrix: "But they are the gatekeepers. They are guarding all the doors, they are holding all the keys." While the lawsuit may find that the BATFE was wrong and that new MG's were legal due to this issue, in the end the BATFE will likely end up changing the wording to correct the issue. Still no new MG's. It will be interesting to follow the story.

New inexpensive MG's would be awesome, but certainly not holding my breath.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

Does anyone think Heller might have some bearing on this? Specifically:
It may be objected that if weapons that are most useful
in military service—M-16 rifles and the like—may be
banned, then the Second Amendment right is completely
detached from the prefatory clause. But as we have said,
the conception of the militia at the time of the Second
Amendment’s ratification was the body of all citizens
capable of military service, who would bring the sorts of
lawful weapons that they possessed at home to militia
duty. It may well be true today that a militia, to be as
effective as militias in the 18th century, would require
sophisticated arms that are highly unusual in society at
large. Indeed, it may be true that no amount of small
arms could be useful against modern-day bombers and tanks. But the fact that modern developments have lim-
ited the degree of fit between the prefatory clause and the
protected right cannot change our interpretation of the
right.
http://www.scotusblog.com/wp-content/up ... 7-2901.pdf