New MG

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

wmdaniel70
Senior Silent Operator

New MG

Post by wmdaniel70 »

Hi folks. I have a FNC and Vector Uzi and am looking to add another (don't tell the wife!). What do you think of a Reising, a AC556, and a M1 converted? Reliability, ability to get repaired if needed, etc. Can't go for the high dollar guns, just in this price range. What do you people think? Thanks very much.
Jt.kline19
Silent But Deadly

Re: New MG

Post by Jt.kline19 »

wmdaniel70 wrote:Hi folks. I have a FNC and Vector Uzi and am looking to add another (don't tell the wife!). What do you think of a Reising, a AC556, and a M1 converted? Reliability, ability to get repaired if needed, etc. Can't go for the high dollar guns, just in this price range. What do you people think? Thanks very much.
Go over to UZItalk.com and cruise the forum for better info. M11/9s are always really good to have. Lots of available upgrades. But iv always wanted a shorty ac556. They look pretty sick, the downside is the parts availability. If it were me I would go for that one, throw in another six grand and you could probably get a Olympic converted AR.
Once a Marine Always a Marine, so why reenlist?
Member of LSU
In Memory of the First Person to Get Me Into Guns, and NFA. RIP Edward R. Kline USAF Retired, August 12, 1953- May 26, 2012
wmdaniel70
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wmdaniel70 »

Anyone else want to chip in?
wmdaniel70
Senior Silent Operator

Post by wmdaniel70 »

Any comments on reliability or repairability??
3154tm
Silent Operator

Post by 3154tm »

might be hard to beat a MAC they're just about indestructible with uppers available in 22lr., .380, 9mm, .223, and now 7.62x39. parts are fairly cheap and they might still be the cheapest subgun as well.
rcn11thacr
Silent But Deadly

Post by rcn11thacr »

I love my baby mac, its the best of both worlds. Cheap enough to afford, high rof, and many options for modification. Find "strobro" on uzitalk and see his "parts list" allows you to adapt a m11/9 upper and a Lage m11/.22 kit to work on the m11a1, so much fun.
Blackhorse Scout
KVoimakas

Post by KVoimakas »

You have any of the conversion kits for the Uzi? Might be fun to invest in a different caliber for that without the need for a new tax stamp.
doneill

Post by doneill »

SSO.

If you are on this forum and are a super silent operator, you really ought to consider a suppressed Sterling Mk 5. Andrewski and Andy Blaschik are doing great work with them.

You have an Uzi. I enjoyed my Mac but even though I had tricked it out, I sold it after getting mu uzi. I had a couple of Reisings and sold one not too long ago. I didn't shoot it enough and used the money for something different (Israeli HB FAL). Likewise I had a Stemple 76/45 but bought a K. No need for both. Recently I find I shoot the uzi (usually with a Bowers CAC9) , Mk 5 Sterling and the M16. I am waiting for the form 4 for a suppressor for this.

Money to me is an issue so I have avoided the H&K MP5SD which when well made can be, I'm told, can be quieter than the Mk 5 Sterling because it is firing from a closed bolt, but I have never shot them side by side.

In any case have fun!

Dave O'Neill
Slow Hand
Silent Operator

Post by Slow Hand »

I have had an AC556 for about eight years now. It has been a great gun. Lots of fun to shoot, super reliable, and reasonably accurate. Mine is the AC556K version, blued with a factory folder. I have changed it up a bit since getting it, modifying an ATI folding stock to fit, and adding an Ulimak rail, and a Primary Arms Micro Dot. I can easily hit a half scale IPSC steel plate at 100 yards with it. It has been to several Class III shoots where it has had around 1000 rounds a day put through it with no issues. Mine does not like Wolf or PMC ammo, I think its a little lower powered. It'll fire two or three rounds and hen the bolt closes on an empty chamber. I have a thread adaptor to shoot my .30 cal SAS can on it. It functions fine with it, but there is a good bit of gas blow back. It'd probably be worse with a .223 can. Some parts are the same as a Mini-14, so there are some spares available. Mini-14's have a reputation for only liking factory Ruger mags, but honestly, mine has ran great with a variety of aftermarket mags. I have a big box of unknown mags I gathered while waiting for my Forms to process and only have a couple that didn't want to run. I even modified a P-Mag to fit in and function in my AC. Need to do a couple more, because they get the looks at the range!

I really wanted an M-16, but couldn't come up with the money for one. Id still like to have one, but don't see it happening anytime soon! My AC has been a lot of fun and Im happy I got it when I did.

Here's how it looks at present

MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

Sweet AC!

I just bought one myself, its the 18.5" barrel blued with a wood stock. Mine has a Ciener conversion and came with an entire extra parts kit. I hope they are pretty reliable. Are they threaded under the flash hider?
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
Slow Hand
Silent Operator

Post by Slow Hand »

MJF1911 wrote:Sweet AC!

I just bought one myself, its the 18.5" barrel blued with a wood stock. Mine has a Ciener conversion and came with an entire extra parts kit. I hope they are pretty reliable. Are they threaded under the flash hider?
They are threaded, but it's 9/16" by ? I have a few thread adaptors so I can shoot my .30 cal can on it as well as my .22 can with my ceiner conversion kit. The ROF with the .22 kit is really fast! About the only time I use the 3 round burst. If you didn't know, the three round burst has to cycle through all three rounds before it will reset. So, the first trigger pull with it may be 1, 2, or rounds. And, if you pull get off the trigger quick enough to get a two shot burst, your next trigger pull will only be a single. I easily get doubles in full auto and for three rounds, I have to pull, pause and release. I think ROF is around 650-700 in .223. I really like mine and while its not as versatile as an M-16, it was also half the cost, so I'm pretty happy. I've got a Sterling SMG on the way, so I've got the full auto 9mm covered. About the only think I'm missing out on would be full auto, suppressed 300 BLK, but I'll get by without that!
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

Thanks for the info. I had watched some videos of people firing them and noticed that little bit about the 3 round burst. I mainly just wanted a full auto .22LR, I probably won't shoot this one much anyway. I'm kind of a Ruger nut, so this works well for me.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

rcn11thacr wrote:I love my baby mac, its the best of both worlds. Cheap enough to afford, high rof, and many options for modification. Find "strobro" on uzitalk and see his "parts list" allows you to adapt a m11/9 upper and a Lage m11/.22 kit to work on the m11a1, so much fun.

SWD M11A1, modified Lage Mfg M-11/22 kit, 200 round drum and Sparrow suppressor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GV2Y2kIUkIs
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
89lx

Post by 89lx »

wmdaniel70 wrote:Hi folks. I have a FNC and Vector Uzi and am looking to add another (don't tell the wife!). What do you think of a Reising, a AC556, and a M1 converted? Reliability, ability to get repaired if needed, etc. Can't go for the high dollar guns, just in this price range. What do you people think? Thanks very much.
Hi, l'm a new guy to this forum. I have a GI/Vector FA Uzi. I also have a registered M-2 trigger housing converting my M-1, and an RLL hosted in a Zombie Defense lower and an LMG upper. The MAC does offer a lot, but you already have a subgun. And seeing from your list, it looks like your leaning towards something more full sized.

I really enjoy my M1/M2. Parts are everywhere, but the ammo can be a bit pricey. But you are used to that with your FNC. I went ahead and bought the replica M1A1 paratrooper stock for mine.

AC556 is nice. Most parts interchange with the Mini-14, and you'd be using the same ammo as your FNC. Plus you have burst fire as well as FA.

Reisings are a cool piece of history, but I hear parts are getting scarce. And from what I understand, they can be tough on firing pins if not careful.

Good luck in whatever you choose.