Modifications to an AK

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

wmdaniel70
Senior Silent Operator

Modifications to an AK

Post by wmdaniel70 »

Hello again. I have a mid-80s Norinco Mac90 (AK47). I have changed the stock for traditional AK stocks and typically use a 30 round magazine. I can't remember all of the "Assault Rifle" rules but I seem to remember only 3 modifications were allowed; 2 piece stock and extended magazine. By current rules am I allowed to do anything else? It has had the barrel threads ground down to meet compliance and I would like to try to restore them to mount a flash hider and/or a suppressor. 2 questions: 1) Am I allowed to do this, and 2) Any suggestions on how? Thanks very much.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Modifications to an AK

Post by Bendersquint »

wmdaniel70 wrote:Hello again. I have a mid-80s Norinco Mac90 (AK47). I have changed the stock for traditional AK stocks and typically use a 30 round magazine. I can't remember all of the "Assault Rifle" rules but I seem to remember only 3 modifications were allowed; 2 piece stock and extended magazine. By current rules am I allowed to do anything else? It has had the barrel threads ground down to meet compliance and I would like to try to restore them to mount a flash hider and/or a suppressor. 2 questions: 1) Am I allowed to do this, and 2) Any suggestions on how? Thanks very much.
Unless you are in a state that has its own Assault Weapon Ban then build what you want as there are no Federal Assault Weapon ban since 2004.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Re: Modifications to an AK

Post by ick »

My advice? KEEP that rifle as is. Purchase another rifle with the characteristics you describe and desire.

Now that prices are dropping to somewhat reasonable levels you can get a rifle with everything you want and you will have TWO rifles instead of one. More than likely it will be everything you want and it will surely work and be dependable... and it will be EXACTLY what you want. No compromise.

Modifying a rifle can get tricky depending on how far you go... and pricey if you can't do it yourself. Anything complicated requires a gunsmith or someone with knowledge which adds a wait time and cost. Even WORSE is if you try and do modifications yourself and screw it up... now you have NO rifle. For example, threading requires a gunsmith with the proper tools, which is an added cost and wait time.

I recall that someone always seems to mention inherent difficulty of suppressing an AK. I will let that to others to discuss.
-----
Ick