what lube for suppressed ar15?

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

mr h
Silent But Deadly

what lube for suppressed ar15?

Post by mr h »

what are you guys using for lube on suppressed AR's?

my break free CLP seems to cook off too fast. been thinking about trying slip2000.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Re: what lube for suppressed ar15?

Post by dtom29 »

Mobil One 20-50 Syn, Mobil One 10-30 Syn, and Mobil One Syn. wheel bearing grease where grease is needed. Out performs "Gun" oils by a large margin.
mr h
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr h »

dtom29 wrote:Mobil One 20-50 Syn, Mobil One 10-30 Syn, and Mobil One Syn. wheel bearing grease where grease is needed. Out performs "Gun" oils by a large margin.

so motor oil doesnt gum up when the powder fouling increases? i though i recall that happening.

i actually have a at blend of motor for my diesel i could try.
Tango2249
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tango2249 »

Try FireClean and don't look back!
“The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.” - Samuel Adams
ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

dtom29 wrote:Mobil One 20-50 Syn, Mobil One 10-30 Syn, and Mobil One Syn. wheel bearing grease where grease is needed. Out performs "Gun" oils by a large margin.
Mobil One 10-30 Syn
+1 works like a champ out of suppressed 300BLK in 9" and 16". 10W-30 synthetic. I use the Autozone or Walmart brands instead of Mobil1
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

mr h wrote:

so motor oil doesnt gum up when the powder fouling increases? i though i recall that happening.

i actually have a at blend of motor for my diesel i could try.
I've been using this SYN. since 1998 for all my rifles and pistols. I run it in a silenced 308, multiple silenced AR's in 5.56 and 300 BLK(SBR and 16 in.), AK's both silenced and normal, A silenced M11 full auto,a suppressed 9mm glock and suppressed .22. never any problem with any of them. I don't clean guns very often so if there was going to be a problem I would have had it.
MJF1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by MJF1911 »

I'm also a Mobil 1 user.
SWR 556 Specwar, 762 Specwar, Octane 45HD, Spectre II; SilencerCo Osprey 45, Omega; AAC Pilot, 300TM; Ruger AC556
Rugged Oculus; Dead Air Sandman K
Abiqua
Silent But Deadly

Post by Abiqua »

Me too. I run my FA Uzi with Mobil 1, works great.
mr h
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr h »

thanks for the advice. going to try mobile 1 0w-30 and AFT synthetic first.

might try a bottle of fire clean too if any locals have it.
Smokecloud

Post by Smokecloud »

Nothing wrong with Mobile1, especially since its readily available and inexpensive as far as synthetics go. If you want or need a little more protection, Castrol Syntech 5-50, lasts longer and provides a little better lubricity. I have been Using Amsoil race synthetics, both oil and their high speed wheel bearing grease, in two different weights for over 15 years and have converted everyone that has actually tried it.

My brother is a certified engine machinist, we decided to do some bearing tests back in the late 90's. Mobile1, smoked all typical gun oils and conventional motor oils, next we tried the Castrol and it outlasted the mobile1 on bearing failure by a pretty good margin (small machine you add weights too with a drop of oil on the new bearing surface.) My brother and I had ran amsoil in tranny's and differentials for over 30 years, but had not ran the motor oil, so decided to test it and it easily outlasted the Castrol by 2x. We were both impressed and still run it today.

What started my interest was a purchase of a small squirt can of Castrol Gun Oil from a gun shop that was going out of business. After using about half of the can, I noticed the smell, texture and most of the property's appeared to be pretty much Castrol Syntech, but closer tot he 5-30 formula. We tested it in comparison, and did not see a difference. That was what started me off on car oils for guns.

All three attract less dust, and all 3 do not dry out over a few days like Remoil, or other gun oils. I ran it a lot in full auto's and the amsoil is the last one to burn off the bolt. The best part is that you can buy a quart of it for the same price as a regular size bottle of special wazoo gun oil, which is usually 2-4 oz.

If any of you want to perform your own tests, its easy to replicate, just use the motor oil as a size lubricant for resizing shell casings, with 223, just barely dip the lip of the case in it, then run your finger around to spread it down on the neck and to the body. Mobile1, I typically only had to lube every other case before it felt sticky in the die. Castrol, I only had to lube every 4th case. Amsoil, I could get away with 6-8 cases. The downside is that amsoil costs about twice what mobile1 does.

with all that said, I have tried froglube on suppressed rifles because of the blowback, the frog lube smells nice and doesn't splat on my shooting glasses like a generous amount of any kind of oil. just sharing my experiences, not looking to get anyone's hackles up.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

So where all do you guys apply grease to your AR's? I just know between the trigger/hammer connection, I guess.

Also, which weight of AMSOIL should I try?
Last edited by 700PSS on Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smokecloud

Post by Smokecloud »

700PSS wrote:So where all do you guys apply grease to your AR's? I just know between the trigger/hammer connection, I guess.
the rails on the carrier along side the gas key, just a very minor application, but you can see the wear there first. The other spot im regular on, is the back side of the locking lugs on the bolt. Again, just a miniscule amount. If I tear down the rifle for inspection or cleaning, I mean completely and remove the selector, I grease the selector body where it contacts the receiver on both sides.
mr h
Silent But Deadly

Post by mr h »

i ended up using a blend full synthetic ATF and mobile 1. it didnt make much sense to pay $15 or 20 for fancy gun oil like cleanfire or slip 2000 just to clean it off after i get done shooting.

at first, i wanted something that would hang around longer after shooting if i didnt clean right away but i cant stand the thought of putting a rifle way and not cleaning it after 100 or 200 rounds of suppressed fire. it just doesnt seem like a good idea.

ultimately i would like to know the threshold of function for my lube choice if i dont clean the BCG each time so i'll work on that.

the auto tranny fluid seemed like a good option since its full of anti-corrosion additives and it a good lube. what i noticed was that the 50/50 blend of ATF & mobile1 didnt cook off the bolt and from of the carrier nearly as fast as the special gun stuff did.
Last edited by mr h on Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Interesting. I thinking of trying some synthetic ATF. I've been a little concerned and disappointed that often, Break Free CLP seems to just evaporate only days after applying it to a clean BCG and leaving it without shooting. And I would agree, you can see where lube is needed most, by observing slight wear patterns on contact surfaces.