form 1 AOW

Machineguns, assault rifles, subguns, SBRs, etc. Photos, questions, discussion. General talk.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

madbear
Senior Silent Operator

form 1 AOW

Post by madbear »

I was under the impression that the stamp to build a Form 1 AOW was $200 but while talking with some 07/sot friends that I know they said it was $5. I know the transfer fee is $5 but what is it to build one?
madbear
America is at that awkward stage; it's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Claire Wolfe
BCJ
Senior Silent Operator

Re: form 1 AOW

Post by BCJ »

$200 for from 1 build; $5 for form 4 transfer
madbear
Senior Silent Operator

Post by madbear »

If I build an AOW can I put a "temporary" detachable stock on it? I have asked this question on another forum & got a no.
I want to be clear here I don't mean a stock that would have to be "screwed" on to the receiver. I"m talking about a stock that was attached & detached with a simple push of a button or moving a lever on the grip. Similar to the Colt Dragoon .
It would seem to me that this would not change the original "intention" of the design. This would be similar to "temporarily" putting a 16" barrel on a SBR or "temporarily" changing the cal. of a SBR.
thanks;
madbear
America is at that awkward stage; it's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Claire Wolfe
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

As with everything, it depends. What type of AOW are you talking about, and what would be the configuration when you intend to add a stock?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

madbear wrote:If I build an AOW can I put a "temporary" detachable stock on it? I have asked this question on another forum & got a no.
I want to be clear here I don't mean a stock that would have to be "screwed" on to the receiver. I"m talking about a stock that was attached & detached with a simple push of a button or moving a lever on the grip. Similar to the Colt Dragoon .
It would seem to me that this would not change the original "intention" of the design. This would be similar to "temporarily" putting a 16" barrel on a SBR or "temporarily" changing the cal. of a SBR.
thanks;
madbear
No, you can not put a stock on an AOW, it changes classification by doing so.

If it ATTACHES to the gun then its considered a permanent stock.
raymond-
Senior Silent Operator

Post by raymond- »

whether or not it is possible to attach a shoulder stock to an AOW comes down to the devil in the details. generally it is not, but there are exceptions. so we would really need to review the actual firearm, drawing, and specific configuration before anything definitive can be determined
raymond-
47º34'n 122º18'w
madbear
Senior Silent Operator

Post by madbear »

I was thinking about a serbu type 12 gauge with a slot or a whole in the grip that a shoulder stock could be inserted & held in place with some type tension device. Or if that was not legal maybe the grip could be placed into the butt stock & clamped in place. this would keep the original firearm from being altered to accept a stock. I was thinking of building this AOW when I posted this thread & I guess I should have said would it be legal to make a stock that AOW could be placed in temporally if you didn't alter the host firearm?
madbear
Claire Wolfe
AlabamaPaul
Silent But Deadly

Post by AlabamaPaul »

madbear, what you're describing would require a Form 1 SBS approval before attaching any type of stock IMV...
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

It costs the same to form 1 a SBR as it does to form 1 an AOW. The AOW is cheaper on the form 4, but the same on the form 1. That doesn't make much sense, but it is still the truth. That being the case, paper your SBR then go ahead and make the detachable stock. I think your idea sounds really cool. It would make for a really small package to transport. It would be cool because of the added mechanical gizmo. It just sounds like a really cool set up all the way around.

IMO, a 12ga AOW is a neat idea until you shoot it. Then it sucks. Put a stock on it and you have something. 22lr AOW pen guns are cool. So are AOW guns that don't look like guns. Maybe an AOW pistol grip double barrel 20ga, or even .410 would be fun because you could actually go through a box of shells in an afternoon. The 12 ga shell really does deserve a shoulderable stock.
madbear
Senior Silent Operator

Post by madbear »

I know the prices on these & that is why I am thinking about going with the AOW with detachable stock if possable. I think my 07/SOT will make the AOW for me then transfer it to me for the $5. But if I can't do that legally I guess I'll go with the SBS.
Is there any restrictions on making a SBS with a detachable stock? The reason I want such a small shotgun is to carry while I'm in the woods trapping or hiking. they make great bear medicine. Not very pleasant to shoot but when your ass in on the line, who cares.
Maybe a SBS would be a little better I'll have to think this thru. the problem is I only have about 6-7 months before I move so I have to get it done before then or wait until I move & then wait FOR EVER to get the stamp! :cry:
I have a trust but we closed the bank account when they started charging us every month so I will try to run it thru with a M.O.
madbear
Claire Wolfe
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Doesnt matter if its a screw or a roll of ducktape there is no such animal as a temporary stock, the second a stock is attached to the AOW shotgun it becomes an unregistered SBS...has nothing to do with if the gun was modified or not for a stock.

Form it as a SBS and remove the stock when you dont want a stock, that is the only legal way to do what you propose.

Also remember an AOW does not need a permission slip to cross state lines but an SBS does. Removing the stock from the SBS does not allow it to cross statelines as an AOW. Just somethin to keep in mind.

There is also no requirement for a trust to have a bank account, all the ATF cares is they get their 200 for the stamp. So you can still file it via efile and use your debit/credit card for payment.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

If it's a SBR there is no problem with a detachable stock.
madbear
Senior Silent Operator

Post by madbear »

OK then if I can take a stock of a SBS, then SBS it is. I guess I better wait until I get to Montana before I do it so I don't have to deal with the "permission" BS.
It is legal to take my form 1 suppressor across state lines isn't it?
madbear
Claire Wolfe
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

madbear wrote:OK then if I can take a stock of a SBS, then SBS it is. I guess I better wait until I get to Montana before I do it so I don't have to deal with the "permission" BS.
It is legal to take my form 1 suppressor across state lines isn't it?
madbear
Earlier you said it was 6 or 7 months till the move....that is plenty of time for a Form1 SBS to come back approved.

Yes you can take the F1 can across state lines so long as the destination state does not prohibit cans.
Prince Yamato
Silent But Deadly

Post by Prince Yamato »

You could add a Sig Arm Brace to an AOW though. But honestly, if you're paying $200 regardless, just do the SBS.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Prince Yamato wrote:You could add a Sig Arm Brace to an AOW though. But honestly, if you're paying $200 regardless, just do the SBS.
We all know it doesn't create an SBR when attached to a Title1 firearm, however I haven't seen anything saying that it could be attached to an AOW and not violate its registration.

Who wants to letter it?